Crf 250 possible AF Build, Help and advice wanted

Edited Date/Time 7/2/2018 9:00am
Hi, i posted my build a few months ago (Under the name young dumb and broke) but have found it very difficult to get anywhere with it, exams getting in the way of any real progress. I'm back again as i'm a bit lost (sorry) on what to do, im doing a CRF250 2006, that i might do a 2 stroke conversion but i've got the original blown up engine but its starting to get expensive Smile (nothing new) and want to make sure i,m going the right way, i was looking to sell it all and get a cheap 125, but just never happened, the summers rolling around slowly and would like to get on the track as soon as possible, i've got a little bit of cash, but far from enough to finish the build, i just wanted to get some advice from you guys on here who are way more knowladgable about this sorta stuff. i don't know if i should do an AF conversion (i'm doing my 1st year doing engineering at college and will access to welders and plasma cutters later in the year, when the shop opens up again after the summer, as well as lathes and all that sort of stuff) but I've searched the internet but don't know what im doing, so if it would be okay to ask for some advice, if you've done something like this i'd love to hear how it went and what happened. Thanks in advance!
|
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2572nd
5/3/2018 2:08pm
Buy a good used 250F motor. From experience of having been a student, I'd sell it all and spend the money on snakebite and condoms.

Chances are the college will just have cheap MIG sets and 1 or 2 cheap TIG sets. Chances of them having an AC TIG set are slim at best. If they do have one you're not going to learn quickly enough to do a decent enough job yourself.
5/3/2018 2:25pm
? I’ve got this far not spending it all on Guiness so I think I’m good so far, and getting someone else to chop up the frame is gunna Be pricey, I’m not sure if we do have AC but because it’s an Aluminum frame so it’s going to need Alternating current TIG, Cause of tenacious oxide film? I hope I’m right in saying that
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
5/3/2018 3:08pm
I wouldn't do it. Sell everything and get a 125 or find a decent running 250f motor(which will be hard to do)
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2572nd
5/3/2018 3:22pm
If you say so. A breakers called Hills, in Skelmersdale, has two 2006 CRF engines for around £1000 each. Decent steel frame YZs are £1000-1200.

You could rebuild what you have for £1000, buy a used motor for £1000, or buy a complete running 125 for £1200.

The Shop

5/4/2018 8:24am
I've currently got a 2006 rm125 frame and other bits, would it be more economical selling the 250f and use it to finish the rm125?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
5/4/2018 8:26am
I've currently got a 2006 rm125 frame and other bits, would it be more economical selling the 250f and use it to finish the rm125?
Yes
Spydee
5/4/2018 8:48am
Sounds like you've dived right into the deep end on this one. Not having the exact knowledge, and potentially worrying about cost being a factor tells me you would be happier cutting your loses and going down the route of re-building a beat-up 2-stroke or something.

What do you want to do though?
5/4/2018 8:54am
To be honest, i'm happy working on something, not too bothered what, i've got a little bit of money that i have to spend, but its mainly about how long it will take, i'd prefer to getting it done quickly but i don't want to rush into anything and do it wrong. I've heard two strokes are cheaper to do, but im mainly concerned with the avalibilty of parts. Not too many parts come up for the 2001-2008 RM so thats what i.m worried about.
Spydee
5/4/2018 9:02am
Is this a project you're looking at possibly riding in the future, having as a showroom piece, or selling on? I don't think you can really rush something as specialized as an AF conversion, it's all about precision and patience or you more than likely will fuck up if you're using this as an educational method also. I've not done it myself so couldn't even guesstimate how long it would take, but if you have the time, money, tools, and determination then I don't see why you couldn't be successful.

I have an RM125 2002 myself and I think it all depends on what exact parts you're looking for. There's an store in or around Bristol if I remember correctly that you can get all OEM parts for. Of course there's a lot more available in the states, and this day in age it's not that expensive to order stuff from across the pond.
smithers57
5/4/2018 9:13am
Take time and have fun and build a AF conversation. Its alot if work but there are so many good guys out there that can do it. Two strokes are the way to go but nothing better then the 500 in a new generation frame. Here is mine I finished up.
5/4/2018 9:18am
I'd like something i could ride, i'm not too bothered about looks, but if i'm gonna do a rebuild anyway then i don't see why not spruce it up a little. I've got a little bit of cash i can spend, but probably a lot more if i sold on some the crf parts. but hows your bike run? is there anything from your experience from the rm125 i should know about? I just want to see what i should look into first. Cheers
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
5/4/2018 9:20am
smithers57 wrote:
Take time and have fun and build a AF conversation. Its alot if work but there are so many good guys out there that can do...
Take time and have fun and build a AF conversation. Its alot if work but there are so many good guys out there that can do it. Two strokes are the way to go but nothing better then the 500 in a new generation frame. Here is mine I finished up.
Why have I not seen this out at the track at all??
5/4/2018 9:21am
smithers57 wrote:
Take time and have fun and build a AF conversation. Its alot if work but there are so many good guys out there that can do...
That's one beautiful bike mate, can you tell me a bit about the process?
smithers57
5/4/2018 10:06am
To busy with work not much time to ride these days but I'll be out there soon on it need to get back into riding and racing prob take it out to lacr next few weeks see if I remember how to ride.
smithers57
5/4/2018 10:10am
It's all about the right fab guy to do it. Cutting a perfectly good frame sucks but with the right jig and a good welder should be good. Mine is an 08 crf250 chassis with an 01 cr500 motor has A kit showa forks all hand made cone pipe it's just a beast.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
5/4/2018 10:11am
smithers57 wrote:
To busy with work not much time to ride these days but I'll be out there soon on it need to get back into riding and...
To busy with work not much time to ride these days but I'll be out there soon on it need to get back into riding and racing prob take it out to lacr next few weeks see if I remember how to ride.
Let me know! I should have my yz250 back together by next week and I'm ready to take it out for the first time
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2572nd
5/4/2018 10:35am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2018 10:38am
Just thought that if you're using a 2006 CRF frame it's a gen 3 frame and isn't that different to the 02-07 CR250. So you would basically be making a swap you can buy already.

The store in Bristol would likely be Fowler's. Robinson's Foundry are the main suppliers of Suzuki bits as even Suzuki GB let them handle their vintage parts. Crooks used to be good for some NOS bits, although mostly for 70s bikes.
5/4/2018 10:50am
I think ill have a think, i think its all about how much bending, twisting and cutting its going to take, i'm bound to know someone who can do this. I was thinking of putting a cr250 engine in it but its whaterver i can get the cheapest
Theneil300
5/4/2018 11:32am
Just fix what you have. 200+parts to replace a conn rod, a set of crank bearings and send the top end off to millenium and go ride it. I have a engine swap project I'm working on [in a pickup] and I've put 2 years into it and have barely driven it. Also your wasting your time unless it's a 500 swap, 250 2 strokes are still in production and easy to get
5/4/2018 4:07pm
Mr Happy wrote:
Just thought that if you're using a 2006 CRF frame it's a gen 3 frame and isn't that different to the 02-07 CR250. So you would...
Just thought that if you're using a 2006 CRF frame it's a gen 3 frame and isn't that different to the 02-07 CR250. So you would basically be making a swap you can buy already.

The store in Bristol would likely be Fowler's. Robinson's Foundry are the main suppliers of Suzuki bits as even Suzuki GB let them handle their vintage parts. Crooks used to be good for some NOS bits, although mostly for 70s bikes.
The store in Bristol is Meredith MX! Really good guys to deal with

Post a reply to: Crf 250 possible AF Build, Help and advice wanted

The Latest