2004 RM 250 Build - Part 1 of 2

Related:
Create New Tag

2/20/2019 7:22 PM

Alright, it's been a while since I tore into a bike. I took almost a year and a half away from riding/ racing while getting some things in order, in the real world, but now I'm back at it.

I picked up this 2004 RM 250 the other day

Part 1: I will be tearing it down to the frame to clean, grease, polish, inspect, etc. I already ordered a top end and gasket kit, a new air filter and clutch cable. My goal for part one is to make this 2004 look as clean, and stock, as possible. I will get new white fork guards, brake line guides, silver Renthal bars with a classy black bar pad, OEM pink/ clear carb vent hoses and a new stock style set of sprockets. Only real "updates" to the bike will be a gold chain, a stock looking all black gripper seat cover, plain white backgrounds with black numbers and the Renthal bars. I will not even be putting a sticker on the bike, unless its an OEM replacement... just trying to make it look showroom, for this year.

Part 2: This fall I will frame the bike, and do THE WORKS:

Powder Coat frame
Hinson Clutch & Cover
Type 2 hard anodize the primary case
Carbon Ignition cover
black wheels
billet hubs
black sprockets
gold chain
triple clamps
Works Bills Pipe & Carbon silencer
PR2 Suspension with upper and lower coatings front and rear
PR2 built motor, head cut for race gas
10oz flywheel weight
Vforce 3
Magura hudraulic clutch
2018 RMZ front master cylinder
Wave rotors front and rear (front oversized)

This should be fun!

Photo

Photo, and plan to do a two-part build.

Photo

|

2/20/2019 8:44 PM

That looks nice mint nearly stock low hours. Great find dude, congrats

|

3/6/2019 7:21 PM

Well, here is the bike once I got it home. At this point I haven't done anything, other than take the bar pad cover off:

Photo
Photo
Photo

I let the bike soak in WD 40 for a day. I have always had good luck with this. I use WD to penetrate the stuck on dirt, and then I soak the bike in a mild degreaser before pressure washing. It really seems to do the trick in lifting away most of the stain. Ater a quick bath, here's how she sits. Man, the more I dig into this bike, the fresher I think it is.

Photo

|

3/6/2019 7:24 PM

Im jealous that thing looks clean!

|

3/6/2019 7:27 PM

I received a bunch of parts today (some not pictured). So far:

New clear/ pink carb vent hoses
10oz flywheel weight
Wiseco pro-lite piston and gasket kit
Hour meter
Pro Taper lock-on grips (two sets)
Pro Taper Perch and lever (with another replacement lever)
Black Brake lever
Pro-x Air filter
Pro-x clutch cable
Pro Taper bar pad
FLU All black gripper seat cover (trying to look as stock as possible)
Tusk Bark Busters

I can't stand a sloppy/ hard clutch pull. The pro taper perch feels great, at a fraction of the cost of WC. I figure that replacing a 15 year old cable cant hurt either. I got the spare brake lever, clutch lever, and extra grips because this year I want to dabble in some off road racing. Ill be able to spend 20 minutes and take off the back busters, cut levers, cut grips, and switch to my moto stuff before you see me on a MX track with that stuff on my bike.

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

3/6/2019 7:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/6/2019 7:34 PM

Started digging into the bike today, but it took more time to make room in the garage than I thought. Living with my mother in law while my house is being built. Hopefully we will be in by mid April, which will be awesome. I splurged on the 3 stall, just for moto!

To my delight, the air filter looked fresh as can be. Petcock screen had a bit of trash on it, but nothing too crazy. The gas that was poured out of the tank was old though, just really showing how little this bike was rode. I got the fluids drained, and will be replacing the top end, inspecting crank, and installing hour meter tomorrow. It's driving me nuts how flawless this bike is, but the sprocket has the outside wear from something being messed up in the guide. I'll figure that out before riding it.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

3/6/2019 7:37 PM

Sweet find! Looks just like an 04 I picked up a short while back. Photo

|

3/6/2019 7:39 PM

JWACK wrote:

Similar, but yours has way nicer suspenders! Ha, nice bike dude, it looks mint!

|

3/6/2019 7:56 PM

JWACK wrote:

Spagina767 wrote:

The suspension happend after and was certainly golden. I just sold it to fund a 19 250 sx and after only 5 hours on the sx I'm not sure it's any better. RMs are just about perfect.
Looking forward to your build man!

|

3/6/2019 8:02 PM

JWACK wrote:

Spagina767 wrote:

JWACK wrote:

The suspension happend after and was certainly golden. I just sold it to fund a 19 250 sx and after only 5 hours on the sx I'm not sure it's any better. RMs are just about perfect.
Looking forward to your build man!

Nice! Yeah man, people love new bikes. I do, too, but it just hasn't been in the cards for me to spend that kind of money on something that I don't think will make me go any faster, or have any more fun. Look at TP199, old and washed up and killed it (relatively speaking) at MXON.

Funny you say that. I went to buy a NGK and Engine Ice at my local dealer (KTM), and I told him I would be racing moto and some harescrambles this year. He legitimately scoffed at me, and said that I'll never do good on a Suzuki because it's old, and "not made for the woods".

It's going to feel that much better, beating dudes when I'm on a 15 year old bike. It motivated me!

|

3/7/2019 10:32 AM

Dug into the bike a bit more today. It was a bit hard to start and had low compression when I bought it, but I took the gamble. The rings were stuck, as shown by the blowby. Cylinder is still in perfect shape with minimal vertical marks none of which are significant at all. This winter when I get the cylinder and head done, I’ll peobably just have them chrome it anyway while it’s there but for now it’s plenty good.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

3/7/2019 1:33 PM

The bike looks so clean when you bought it!
Keep working on it, cant wait to see it finish.

Im rebuilding a Rm enduro version( street legal)
Here is the link id you want to check my post

https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/Suzuki-RME-250-buil-street-legal,1353392#post_4117690

|

3/8/2019 5:37 AM

Bike looks great!!!

|