SXF 350 dies after few seconds

luigis
Posts
68
Joined
6/19/2024
Location
Djee, NL

Hi all,

I have a 2018 SXF-350 that stalled after 2 laps on the track and would not re-fire. Felt like fuel pump or electrical (not a hard mechanical lockup). Bike has around 150 hours, piston changed 2 hours ago. 

Things checked so far: 

- has good spark

- fuel pump and injector work when hooked to 12V. Also with injector removed from throttle body, you can see it pulsing fuel when hitting starter button

- checked valves, piston, cylinder, stator. All looks in good condition, and cam timing was still correct

- read out fault codes, showed p0115 ECT and p1231 Fuel pump circuit. Cleared them and they sometimes come back, but I suspect they are non-relevant and just from taking stuff apart every time

- after removing and checking parts it will now start, but not as easy as normal and stalls within 3 to 8 seconds each time. Removed fuel cap to exclude potential vacuum issue. 

- checked connectors and sparkplug cap etc, all looks ok by eye, though it didn't measure wiring yet

Not sure where to go from here, I guess tipover sensor or ECU are main suspect now. Does anyone know if disconnecting tipover will bypass it? or does it need to be shorted? Will order new sparkplug to be sure, but any advice is welcome.

 

|
Tuzzo123
Posts
326
Joined
8/16/2016
Location
Saginaw, MI, USA
8/12/2024 5:13am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2024 5:15am

Pop apart your fuel line and check your inline fuel filter. I would definitely start there, i had a Brand new bIke that wouldn't start, had a plastic piece from the tank in there. It only takes a bit of dirt or debris to starve the iinjector. 

1
luigis
Posts
68
Joined
6/19/2024
Location
Djee, NL
8/12/2024 5:39am
Tuzzo123 wrote:
Pop apart your fuel line and check your inline fuel filter. I would definitely start there, i had a Brand new bIke that wouldn't start, had...

Pop apart your fuel line and check your inline fuel filter. I would definitely start there, i had a Brand new bIke that wouldn't start, had a plastic piece from the tank in there. It only takes a bit of dirt or debris to starve the iinjector. 

Oh yeah thanks, forgot to mention I checked the inline filter too and looks clean. 

8/12/2024 6:19am
luigis wrote:
Hi all,I have a 2018 SXF-350 that stalled after 2 laps on the track and would not re-fire. Felt like fuel pump or electrical (not a...

Hi all,

I have a 2018 SXF-350 that stalled after 2 laps on the track and would not re-fire. Felt like fuel pump or electrical (not a hard mechanical lockup). Bike has around 150 hours, piston changed 2 hours ago. 

Things checked so far: 

- has good spark

- fuel pump and injector work when hooked to 12V. Also with injector removed from throttle body, you can see it pulsing fuel when hitting starter button

- checked valves, piston, cylinder, stator. All looks in good condition, and cam timing was still correct

- read out fault codes, showed p0115 ECT and p1231 Fuel pump circuit. Cleared them and they sometimes come back, but I suspect they are non-relevant and just from taking stuff apart every time

- after removing and checking parts it will now start, but not as easy as normal and stalls within 3 to 8 seconds each time. Removed fuel cap to exclude potential vacuum issue. 

- checked connectors and sparkplug cap etc, all looks ok by eye, though it didn't measure wiring yet

Not sure where to go from here, I guess tipover sensor or ECU are main suspect now. Does anyone know if disconnecting tipover will bypass it? or does it need to be shorted? Will order new sparkplug to be sure, but any advice is welcome.

 

Check the grounds, battery terminal, etc

Factor E
Posts
983
Joined
9/22/2011
Location
So Cal, CA, USA
8/14/2024 6:28am

Fuel pump going bad

The Shop

luigis
Posts
68
Joined
6/19/2024
Location
Djee, NL
8/17/2024 7:04pm

Update: turned out to be the sparkplug despite it appearing to work fine when testing off the bike. 

2

Post a reply to: SXF 350 dies after few seconds

The Latest