Need Hydro clutch help kx450

SpicyPepe
I have a brand new 2021 KX 450. Its a month old with about 3 hours on it. Broke it in and changed the oil to Maxima 10-40. Last 2 times I have rode the clutch starts to slip really bad as soon as i am half throttle and when the bike is hot. Will shift fine when i first get on but after a couple laps and it gets hot and problem will keep happening. to the point its just revving really bad and not really moving much. It will move along in low RPM. I pulled the plates and frictions and on some of the middle steels there is a burnt bronze color all over some of them. like the steel had been burnt. I already bought a new Hinson plate and friction kit to replace because i think i just fried the clutch. All the frictions look good though so its weird. I just dont know why it would fry that fast. I'm not a crazy hard rider. Im thinking the oil was low of the showroom floor and i changed/added too late after i rode a few times. Any help would be great.
|
Rickyisms
6/28/2021 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2021 2:34pm
Slave cylinder sticking? I have a fried who's slave stuck during a GNCC and smoked the entire basket and every other clutch component. With only three hours on it I would load it up and take it right back to the dealer.
dancolvin633
Fantasy
2236th
6/29/2021 8:04pm
SpicyPepe wrote:
I have a brand new 2021 KX 450. Its a month old with about 3 hours on it. Broke it in and changed the oil to...
I have a brand new 2021 KX 450. Its a month old with about 3 hours on it. Broke it in and changed the oil to Maxima 10-40. Last 2 times I have rode the clutch starts to slip really bad as soon as i am half throttle and when the bike is hot. Will shift fine when i first get on but after a couple laps and it gets hot and problem will keep happening. to the point its just revving really bad and not really moving much. It will move along in low RPM. I pulled the plates and frictions and on some of the middle steels there is a burnt bronze color all over some of them. like the steel had been burnt. I already bought a new Hinson plate and friction kit to replace because i think i just fried the clutch. All the frictions look good though so its weird. I just dont know why it would fry that fast. I'm not a crazy hard rider. Im thinking the oil was low of the showroom floor and i changed/added too late after i rode a few times. Any help would be great.
Unfortunately there is some issues on the 21 KX250/450 clutches. They use the new style pressure plate and spring set up... there has been lots of complaints of clutches slipping and breaking plates. The fix is converting it back to a 2020 Pressure plate, hub, and springs.
SpicyPepe
6/29/2021 9:38pm
SpicyPepe wrote:
I have a brand new 2021 KX 450. Its a month old with about 3 hours on it. Broke it in and changed the oil to...
Unfortunately there is some issues on the 21 KX250/450 clutches. They use the new style pressure plate and spring set up... there has been lots of...
Unfortunately there is some issues on the 21 KX250/450 clutches. They use the new style pressure plate and spring set up... there has been lots of complaints of clutches slipping and breaking plates. The fix is converting it back to a 2020 Pressure plate, hub, and springs.
Wow very frustrating. I just sold my 2012 rmz 450 because i was constantly having clutch issues and now I buy a brand new bike and already have a clutch problem. Ill see what happens once i replace the steels and frictions.
Slaughter612s
Fantasy
171st
6/30/2021 7:36pm
I have a 21, traditionally hard on clutches for what ever reason. Keep us updated on your findings. Colvin can can attest to the clutch abuse :/ cheers

The Shop

SpicyPepe
6/30/2021 9:01pm
SpicyPepe wrote:
Unfortunately there is some issues on the 21 KX250/450 clutches. They use the new style pressure plate and spring set up... there has been lots of...
I figured it out!!! I recently put an ARC lever on it and the contact point between the lever and the push rod piston weren't seated correctly. So the piston was partially pushed in at the master cylinder causing the slipping. I guess after a track ride the week before somethin made it un seat. I fixed it and its running so nice again. I did burn about 3 metal plates though doing a couple laps just thinking it was the mud causing me to rev more. Either way I replaced the plates and frictions and its perfect again. I do notice that the stock clutch lever is a lot easier to pull than an ARC lever. I still run the ARC's though because they dont break. Thanks for all the input.

Post a reply to: Need Hydro clutch help kx450

The Latest