Kick start stuck, now free. Should I be concerned?

Hi all,



Some background: I took my 2011 KTM 300 XCW out for enduro riding 4 weeks ago. I washed down the bike shortly after riding, being reasonably careful not to spray too much water onto the engine. Shortly after washing, I could not get it started to ride back to my trailer. (I assumed it may have flooded so pushed it back around 400m to the trailer and loaded it). Got home, and around 4 days later I tried kick-starting it again. The kick-start would operate as normal but the engine wouldn't fire up. I left it another week then eventually run/push-started the bike after around 4 attempts. I let it idle for about a minute and switched it off. Now here is where it gets interesting... 4 weeks later of no riding, and I try and kick-start the bike today to go for a ride. The kick-start is absolutely stuck/frozen at the top position and won't move at all. After rocking the bike forward in 5th gear for a couple of minutes, I removed the oil filler cap and saw that the (crankshaft?) was turning slightly when rocking the bike back and forth. Eventually I got the kick starter to start cranking albeit still with some unusual resistance. Eventually I started to see the whole (crankshaft?) covered in oil and the kick starter became easier to operate. I then gave the bike 3-4 kicks and the engine fired up. I let it idle for about 2 minutes before switching the bike off.



My question - could this mean the conrod or piston may have gotten rusted/stuck in the engine? If so, is this a major concern and would I need to take the bike in to have it checked out? P.S I changed the gearbox oil before my last ride, and carefully checked the oil level check bolt to ensure the right amount was put in and that there weren't any oil leaks from the drain plug or oil level check bolt. I have no idea on when last any major service was done on the bike. Currently on 120 hours but speedo doesn't register so I believe the hours stopped counting before I bought the bike.



Any assistance would be appreciated.
|
Factor E
Posts
983
Joined
9/22/2011
Location
So Cal, CA, USA
8/21/2022 10:13am
Put bike on stand. Pull the spark plug.
By hand see if kick start moves freely and motor
8/21/2022 10:36am
Factor E wrote:
Put bike on stand. Pull the spark plug.
By hand see if kick start moves freely and motor
Thanks for the response. Is there any way of telling what the damage/issue is from how freely the motor runs with the spark plug pulled?
8/21/2022 2:12pm
Are you sure you weren’t looking at the clutch through the oil fill cap?
Factor E
Posts
983
Joined
9/22/2011
Location
So Cal, CA, USA
8/21/2022 3:24pm
If motor is smooth and free than the kick start gear has the issue or some teeth on the clutch basket
1

Post a reply to: Kick start stuck, now free. Should I be concerned?

The Latest