Drz110 ticking noise when warm

05drz110
Hey guys,
I've got an 05 Suzuki Drz110 (same as klx110)
One day it just started making a ticking noise, oil level was fine, and it was relatively fresh oil 10w40.
Valve clearances were in spec.
I had a new high compression piston, rings, cam chain put in it and valves were re-cut.
The ticking noise is still there.
The noise only comes along when the bike warms up to operating temperature and sounds like tappets. Intake .002 and exhaust .003 valve lash is set.
All I can think of is cam chain tensioner is failing as the bike heats up.
Cam chain is tight.
Bike starts first kick and runs beautifully apart from this ticking noise.
I'm hoping someone out there has experience with this issue and can help me figure this out.
In the meantime I'll order a new cam chain tensioner, hopefully replacing that will solve it.
Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
|
kb228
9/16/2019 4:04am
Excessive valve clearance can cause a tick as well.

Make sure timing chain, guides, and tensioner are all in good shape.
05drz110
7/17/2021 5:42am
I Fixed the ticking noise....
The rod bearing felt ok on initial inspection, however after closer inspection it seemed to have a slight amount of up and down play but only in a specific position....if that makes sense. Maybe it was one bad needle bearing.
I figured as the engine was coming up to normal operating temperature the tolerance was opening up causing the tick.

About 10 months after my original post I rebuilt the engine with brand new complete OEM crank assembly, bearings, seals the whole thing and it's still going strong. Happy days.

Post a reply to: Drz110 ticking noise when warm

The Latest