2009 crf450x Starting Issue

Related:
Create New Tag

1/1/2019 3:45 PM

The bike does not want to start with the e-start, cold or hot. Once in a blue moon it will start with the button but it’s intermittent at best. It starts prefectly with the Kickstarter, most of the time on the first kick. Jetting is spot on, installed a new battery and checked all wiring. Any help is appreciated.

|

1/2/2019 5:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2019 5:44 AM

Kelsey wrote:

The bike does not want to start with the e-start, cold or hot. Once in a blue moon it will start with the button but it’s intermittent at best. It starts prefectly with the Kickstarter, most of the time on the first kick. Jetting is spot on, installed a new battery and checked all wiring. Any help is appreciated.

Does the engine even turn over at all with the e start button? If the electric starter engages but you don't hear the engine turning over, just the electric starter motor and some gears, gear number 6 in the microfiche may have broken and now the little gear may be allowed to spin independently. The easiest way to check this is to pull your right crankcase cover off and hit the e-start button to see if this happens. The little gear is pressed onto the larger one and the two should spin as one, if they are working as intended. If the little gear spins, but the larger one does not, then the starter reduction gear is broken and needs to be replaced.

Photo

This video is helpful. Its for a TRX450R quad, but the motors are almost identical to the CRF450X, and the starting system is the same.

|

1/2/2019 5:54 AM

Yes I should have clarified. It turns over with the e-start button. It does not drag or turn slow.

|

1/2/2019 7:22 AM

Check battery voltage while starting the engine. Sounds like it isn't spinning fast enough. A battery that is a touch under charged can make a big difference

|

1/2/2019 7:28 AM

809 wrote:

Check battery voltage while starting the engine. Sounds like it isn't spinning fast enough. A battery that is a touch under charged can make a big difference

What’s the lowest voltage drop while starting? My old Li battery was bad and I installed a brand new ASM battery. It’s fully charged, I have been keeping it on a battery tender.

|

1/2/2019 7:51 AM

11-11.5 volts while starting.

|

1/2/2019 7:52 AM

Check your starter relay. It may be passing the voltage to the starter, but not to the fuel pump.

Paw Paw

|

1/2/2019 6:28 PM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

Check your starter relay. It may be passing the voltage to the starter, but not to the fuel pump.

Paw Paw

The X is carbureted, all the way up to 2017.

|

1/3/2019 2:20 AM

Bypass the clutch lockout switch if you haven't already. I've had a CRF250X play up intermittently like yours is, and that was the problem.

|