2005 yz85 issues

Levi_Shaw
Hey everyone I'm having issues with my son's 2005 yz85 fouling plugs/bogging. We have had the bike for 2 years with no issues until we went to a race and he completely submerged the bike in water. We flipped it drained it, ran multiple cycles of new oil through it until the milky oil stopped coming out of the trans. Since then it keeps fouling spark plugs (6) after about 4 hours of ride time (plug is black and wet). There was also a new low end bog when taking off. I've tried adjusting the air screw and have dropped the needle down one clip (it's now in the first clip position). The bog is also very apparent when you blip the throttle 3/4 to full throttle. Things I've done since the submerge is:

1. Tested compression that was low and replaced with pro-x piston and ring.
2. Replaced oem reed valves.
3. Brand New air filter.
4. Removed pro circuit 296 forest muffler re-packed and cleaned.

I'm starting to think it's a stator or air leak issue. I can't however seem to find stator information for the yz85.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated!
|
soggy
Fantasy
4126th
3/21/2022 7:26pm
I’d do a leak down test to make sure the crank seals are still good. A leaky right side might contribute to fowling plugs. Left side would create a lean bog and possibly hanging idle. How’d the cylinder look when you replaced the piston?

Did you go through the carb afterwards? May have sucked some grit in.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
832nd
3/22/2022 7:07am
Replace both of the crank seals and you'll be good to go. They're cheap, and with an impact they're easy to get to.
Chad198
3/22/2022 8:14am
On that carburetor, the main jet threads in to a needle jet holder and above that is the needle jet. A lot of people don't realize the needle jet is in there. They take out the main and needle jet holder and then the needle jet falls to the ground and gets lost. The 2005 exploded view doesn't show it but the 2021 does https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2021/yz85-yz85m/car… Talking about number 30. You can check easily to see if you have it, just lift up the slide and look down the carburetor, if the jet needle is going into a brass orifice, you have it, if just the body, then you don't.
Levi_Shaw
3/22/2022 10:08am
I took the carb apart and drained the gas after. I will be taking it apart again this weekend to see if I missed an obstruction or lost a part.

As for the cylinder, it's definitely worn but the shop I took it to said I should be fine for one or two more rebuilds. I'll probably do a compression test also. I've seen many different posts on what the compression should be ranging from 120-180.

It sounds like crank seals are pretty easy, just confirming you don't have to split the cases to replace them? I planned on doing a full rebuild after this piston but if I'm already taking everything apart I'll probably just do it now.

Thanks for all the replies!

The Shop

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
832nd
3/25/2022 9:10pm
Levi_Shaw wrote:
I took the carb apart and drained the gas after. I will be taking it apart again this weekend to see if I missed an obstruction...
I took the carb apart and drained the gas after. I will be taking it apart again this weekend to see if I missed an obstruction or lost a part.

As for the cylinder, it's definitely worn but the shop I took it to said I should be fine for one or two more rebuilds. I'll probably do a compression test also. I've seen many different posts on what the compression should be ranging from 120-180.

It sounds like crank seals are pretty easy, just confirming you don't have to split the cases to replace them? I planned on doing a full rebuild after this piston but if I'm already taking everything apart I'll probably just do it now.

Thanks for all the replies!
If it's low on compression it'll never be right. Small bore high performance 2 strokes will not ever run right in those circumstances.

Removal of the flywheel on the shifter side, and the entire clutch on the brake side will be needed, but no splitting of the cases are needed on the YZ85.

Post a reply to: 2005 yz85 issues

The Latest