2001 PW50 help

Daveydave06
6/21/2019 1:20am
I picked up a 2001 pw for my step sons birthday in July. Bike was in pretty good shape for its age. Decided to do some cleaning up and replacing of a few things. Replaced all cables, brakes, throttle and choke. New plastics and seat. First off, I ordered from pwonly before reading reviews. Huge mistake and terrible fitting parts. I got the carb cleaned although it looked immaculate when I took it apart. The oil pump had already been removed and blocked off and running pre mix. I got the bike all back together and put fresh gas in and went it kick it over. The bike kicked very fairly easy but seemed to idle at wot. The replacement choke cable seemed short and kept the spring n the "plug" in the carb compressed slightly so I replaced the new with the OEM one and the got rid of the compressed spring issue. My next issue was it still idled wide open with the choke off on RUN. I had no throttle feedback, turned loosely with no snapping back. I check and the needle is installed correctly I believe. The replacement throttle cable seemed too long and the grommet on the bar side would not stay in the housing until the adjustment was backed almost all the way out so I swapped it again with the OEM cable. Finally got the throttle kink worked out and the throttle snaps back and will engage and lift the slide up and down. My main problem now is, I can start the bike on start with the choke and it still seems kinda high revving with the back wheel spinning rapidly but once the bike is put on RUN and choke disengaged, the bike will die if not given half or full throttle. This is my first experience getting into a Pw50 and I have 2 weeks to get the bike ready for the birthday surprise and I'm frustrated beyond all belief with every step of this process after hours of searching and no knowledgeable in person resources. Bike has a decent amount of whitish smoke from the pipe while running. What do I do now? Thank you for any help
|
dtl210
6/21/2019 1:08pm
I've been through the same struggle buying aftermarket parts. Now I just go OEM for everything on these PW's.

I also had a similar issue when replacing the throttle cable, at first it was stuck partially open, for me the cable was partially apart at the split. Once I found that it would not run without choke or being nearly wide open, similar to yours. I had to clean the carb (twice), replace the spark plug and even pulled the jug off trying to sort it out. I'm not sure what fixed it, but once all back together it fired right up and ran perfect.

My theory is that I get water in it when washing it and that plugs up the pilot circuit. The seal from the air box to the carb is pretty terrible.
Daveydave06
6/21/2019 1:30pm
Thanks for the feedback.

My next step was pulling the carb back apart and really going at cleaning it again and figured I would check for excessive carbon build up in the exhaust. The fuel mix i am running is 32:1, which I've been informed by a friend familiar with the pw50 might be a bit rich, ( how my dad mixed all my stuff in my pw days)

I also need to replace the air filter too, it looked pretty gross inside the air box. I was running the bike with the air box off for short periods while trying to figure out my cable kink and that's when it was running WOT and the failure to hold idle on run was with the air box back on. No idea if it's related to the issue or not. The bike ran decent when I first bought it. Pulled me around the yard pretty well. The previous owner also had an aftermarket silencer on the bike before selling it
bf884
6/24/2019 5:43am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2019 5:46am
Unplug the start/ run connector. The kill button will still be operational. It will operate like a normal bike, choke it and go. This is a very common issue making them run like crap as it messes with the inginition. Try this as it’s the easiest to eliminate. I ran 40:1 in ours but 32:1 is a leaner mix not richer. The more oil the leaner it is. Put the air filter back on or choke up the intake with your hand. These little bikes are very squirrley when it comes to air/ fuel changes.
876moto
6/24/2019 8:49am
Are there any parts that are safe to order off of pwonly? what about peeweecycles? I have been given a pw that is not running so I need some parts.

The Shop

ktmdan
6/24/2019 10:34am
I got a pw80 a couple weeks ago. I planned to remove the oil pump all together however I ended up just removing the gear on it. The reason for this is that the throttle cable hooks up to both the carb slide and the pump. if you remove the cable to the pump, you have one less spring pulling the throttle back to close. Also, the way the two cables hook up to the single throttle cable, if you remove the pump cable, then you have a sideways torque in that little housing where they all meet causing lots of friction. I'm not sure how the pw50 looks but that might be worth looking at.

Interesting you mention it is easy to kick. Mine seems way to easy to kick like it's lacking in compression. Not sure if this is because it's a baby bike or if there is something wrong. Mine doesn't run quite yet.
It appears to have some kind of make shift kill switch. It's a button that either clicks on or off with no indication as to whether it is in run or kill position.

Any chance I could run it at 50:1 on 93 octane? Would be really nice if I could just share gas with my race bike.

Good to know about pwonly. I was just about to order an air box assembly as mine is missing the front flat piece that holds the filter in. I guess I'll just try and make a new piece out of aluminum...

Post a reply to: 2001 PW50 help

The Latest