2008 YZ450F Valve replacement questions

DC193

Hello all,

Hoping to get some advice about replacing the valves in my 2008 YZ450F.

I've owned the bike for 2 years and would estimate that i've put 60-70 hours on it, but i've got no idea hour many hours on the internal prior to buying it (seller didn't advertise it as recently rebuilt). I've always replaced oil & filter after each 3 rides (7.5hrs-ish) and checked and adjusted valve clearance a roughly 20 hour intervals. 4 rides (10 hours) back I replaced the piston, rings and timing chain and checked the bottom end bearing, so valves are the one big thing left to do.

After I did the piston replacement my inlet valves were all at 0.10 (one was a bit tight though) and both exhausts at 0.20 (specs are 0.10-0.15 for inlet and 0.20-0.25 for exhaust)

I'm re-checking the valve clearances again and after 10 hours the inlets are 0.08 on the one that was tight and 0.09 for the other 2 and the exhausts still at 0.20 (admittedly my feeler gauges only have a 0.20 and then a 0.23, so the exhausts could be 0.22).

Would tightening over this time period be an indication that I should replace the valves, or at least pull the head back off and get it checked over? I'm trying to keep costs down (I know I know, got to pay to play) but its cheaper for me to import a valve kit from USA than buy them locally! and that's not including work to the head itself.

Also if anyone is from Sydney, Australia id appreciate any recommendations on who to take the head work to, if required.

Thanks in advance.

DC

|
Paw Paw 271
7/28/2016 5:38am Edited Date/Time 7/28/2016 5:39am
Yes the intake valves will grow in length and recess into the head. They beat the valve seats up over time. When you replace the valves, also replace the springs, keepers and retainers and have the seats cut or replaced.
The exhaust valves don't grow like the intakes do, but they wear the valve guides, so replace then as well.

Paw Paw
racinstation
Fantasy
1921st
7/28/2016 3:41pm
I would base replacement upon the condition of the valves. If the mating surface is getting sharp, the valves are getting worn out. Another way to tell is the size of the shim that you are using. If you are getting toward the thin side of the shim selection, you are in need of a valve job like Paw Paw said. I will tell you in my experience, it is rare for a Yamaha to need a valve job with the hours you are saying. They are pretty solid.

You could even pull the valves and post pictures of the surface that mates with the valve seat and I could give you a good indication of the need for replacement.
DC193
7/28/2016 4:56pm
Yes the intake valves will grow in length and recess into the head. They beat the valve seats up over time. When you replace the valves...
Yes the intake valves will grow in length and recess into the head. They beat the valve seats up over time. When you replace the valves, also replace the springs, keepers and retainers and have the seats cut or replaced.
The exhaust valves don't grow like the intakes do, but they wear the valve guides, so replace then as well.

Paw Paw
Thanks for the advice, im posting up some images to show the valves and head. They look in good condition to me but the contact face seems to be out of specification
DC193
7/28/2016 4:58pm
I would base replacement upon the condition of the valves. If the mating surface is getting sharp, the valves are getting worn out. Another way to...
I would base replacement upon the condition of the valves. If the mating surface is getting sharp, the valves are getting worn out. Another way to tell is the size of the shim that you are using. If you are getting toward the thin side of the shim selection, you are in need of a valve job like Paw Paw said. I will tell you in my experience, it is rare for a Yamaha to need a valve job with the hours you are saying. They are pretty solid.

You could even pull the valves and post pictures of the surface that mates with the valve seat and I could give you a good indication of the need for replacement.
Ive taken one inlet valve out and the condition looks good. Yamaha shims come in 120 to 240 sizes and i'm using 180-185 for all of them. I know my hours aren't that bad, but im worried that the previous owner may put lots of hours on it prior to me buying it. Im posting up some images shortly.

The Shop

DC193
7/28/2016 5:01pm
I have only taken one inlet valve out and the spring is within tolerance but the mating/contact face seems to be out of spec. Book says 0.9-1.1mm with a limit of 1.6mm, mine seem to be approximately 1.8mm

racinstation
Fantasy
1921st
7/28/2016 8:19pm

The area I have pointed out on the valve usually gets sharp when the valves are bad. Most Honda CRF250s that I rebuild, can cut paper with the valve. This valve looks just fine.

DC193
7/28/2016 8:46pm Edited Date/Time 7/28/2016 8:48pm
again, thanks for the reply, a great help!

the edge seems to have a bit of carbon build-up so its a bit rough, not what id call 'sharp' though.

also interested on opinions to the colouring of the valves, I was a bit surprised to see the outlets in such a light colour compared to the inlets. I've got the air screw on the carby at standard, I tried to lean it out a quarter turn a few rides back but it started decal popping so I went back to how it was.
Paw Paw 271
7/29/2016 6:51am
That looks very good. You should be in good shape for some time.

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: 2008 YZ450F Valve replacement questions

The Latest