Flash Photography of Bikes & Riders

blockpass270
Posts
2
Joined
3/26/2010
Location
Capistrano Beach, CA, USA
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 10:00am
I have the opportunities to shoot some bikes and riders this weekend. The shots will not be action, rather riders staging at 5-6am prerace. I’m a mediocre amateur (at best) at shooting action shots with decent light, like practice at supercross or outdoors, however I am truly struggling with flash photography. The shots essentially need to include the riders on their bikes. I will also have to take post race shot, some of which will be in the dark.

I’m using a 40d with a 420EX flash, and have a 50 f/1.8, 17-50 f/2.8, & 70-200 f/2.8.

The other reason I’m asking here is because these jpg’s have to be available immediately… I’m not going to be able to take RAW and tweak them in Lightroom, I have to hand over the memory card moments after they are taken.

*Try* not to ostracize me for not doing my research, because I have done some and don’t have the time to experiment in the next couple days. I just need to nail these the first time and that’s why I’m asking for help with me settings.

I’ve shot a bit in Manual, but never with a flash. I’m usually in aperture or shutter priority.

From what I’ve read, I should avoid AV & TV w/flash as they expose for the background (background not important in these shots) as well as center single focus point, which could lead to a long shutter thus not a sharp shot. It seems perhaps I should use Program mode.

I’ve also read conflicting info on how to point the flash. I’ve read for these types of shots, if using a shoe mount flash “on camera”, it’s best to direct it straight as the subject to get the most (natural looking) light but from a distance, as if it’s point 60-90 degrees, it can cast unusual shadows. Of course I can't bounce as I'll be outside.

Am I over thinking this?

What are ideas for good baseline settings?

I appreciate the input
|
yamazuki
Posts
255
Joined
1/19/2009
Location
Somewhere But Not, USA
6/16/2010 12:26pm
I would be interested to see how things came out for you since you have already shot the event. Though I know how to do portrait lighting, using a light meter is pretty easy. But I have not had enough experience outdoors in manual. I do manual trail and error and because I shoot so little flash in mx I really suck at it. But that said, I am able to get a few good shots. Long exposure for background is not such a bad thing if the flash is the main source for the subject.
I have not had luck with pointing it other than straight unless there is a way to bounce the light. I have shot in outdoor stadiums that have so little light you have to use flash like below. But when you shoot AMA stadiums (like below that), they have enough light as to shoot without flash. No help from me, all experimentation until the day I start shooting more MX with flash.

Post a reply to: Flash Photography of Bikes & Riders

The Latest