Website design?

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
Edited Date/Time 10/8/2014 11:48am
A good friend of mine is wanting to promote his business and is looking into creating a website with a domain name.
He's a long ways away from being a full techno computer guy, so simple is important to him. He wants to be able to create the website, and alter, modify and update it easily.

What suggestions would you guys have for him? Thanks in advance!
|
IWreckALot
10/7/2014 1:34pm
I just created a website with www.wix.com for my mom's business. It is extremely easy to figure out and use. You can build your site for free and then once it's all ready, you can start paying. They have tons of templates to start out with so you can find one that fits his business. Here is my handy work. I'm not the most creative person but the website is much better than what it was when my sister built it.

http://www.viewsideveranda.com/
hvaughn88
10/7/2014 1:50pm
IWreckALot wrote:
I just created a website with www.wix.com for my mom's business. It is extremely easy to figure out and use. You can build your site for...
I just created a website with www.wix.com for my mom's business. It is extremely easy to figure out and use. You can build your site for free and then once it's all ready, you can start paying. They have tons of templates to start out with so you can find one that fits his business. Here is my handy work. I'm not the most creative person but the website is much better than what it was when my sister built it.

That's so weird you posted that. My folks have been tossing around the idea of starting a wedding venue here. They are getting close to retirement age and looking for something to keep them busy. My dad is actually looking forward to doing all the grounds-keeping, maintenance and all that type of stuff, haha. How does your mom like it?
IWreckALot
10/7/2014 2:18pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2014 2:18pm
IWreckALot wrote:
I just created a website with www.wix.com for my mom's business. It is extremely easy to figure out and use. You can build your site for...

hvaughn88 wrote:
That's so weird you posted that. My folks have been tossing around the idea of starting a wedding venue here. They are getting close to retirement...
That's so weird you posted that. My folks have been tossing around the idea of starting a wedding venue here. They are getting close to retirement age and looking for something to keep them busy. My dad is actually looking forward to doing all the grounds-keeping, maintenance and all that type of stuff, haha. How does your mom like it?
I think it's the perfect retirement business. My parents love it. They both do it all themselves. They're on a 2 acre hill. They've built it slowly and they're hosting the weddings who have 75 and fewer guests. It's a lot of second weddings, vowel renewals and people who don't want to spend an arm and a leg on their wedding. There are several wedding venues around them but they all have different offerings so it works well for them. They've been at it for about 3 or 4 years now and they're getting to a point where they have an average of 5 or 6 weddings a month. You can see the view they have. Not many places in Texas or our area specifically like it. No wedding venues that I know of have that view. My mom initially wanted to get into the catering arena but that proved to be more work and pretty competitive. Shoot me an email if you want some more information or if you have specific questions. My spam email is rr06600atyahoodotcom. I check it pretty frequently.
S.Loyer
10/7/2014 2:43pm
A good friend of mine is wanting to promote his business and is looking into creating a website with a domain name. He's a long ways...
A good friend of mine is wanting to promote his business and is looking into creating a website with a domain name.
He's a long ways away from being a full techno computer guy, so simple is important to him. He wants to be able to create the website, and alter, modify and update it easily.

What suggestions would you guys have for him? Thanks in advance!
Well as a Web Developer, I always say have it built for you and get everything you want out of a site and to make sure it does work for you and isn't just floating on the web.

However, if you're buddy wanted to do it himself, I wouldn't use WIX. They were a good idea but failed to execute properly then SquareSpace came in an did it right. ( http://SquareSpace.com ).

Although Squarespace has fewer templates, they are more functional and beautiful responsive templates.

Squarespace offers almost instant, 24/7 customer support where they answer each of your email within 1 hour. Although Wix has a comprehensive library of help articles, email and scheduled phone support, they currently don’t have live chat support like Squarespace.

You get better value from Squarespace’s paid plans (versus Wix). Wix restricts you with bandwidth limitations, and although they have a free plan, their visible advertisement and the lack of ability to use a custom domain name is a big disadvantage (upgrade to to remove advertisement and to use your own custom domain name). Also keep in mind that with Squarespace’s paid plans, you get hands-on customer service through email and live chat.

The Shop

hvaughn88
10/7/2014 3:26pm
IWreckALot wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
That's so weird you posted that. My folks have been tossing around the idea of starting a wedding venue here. They are getting close to retirement...
IWreckALot wrote:
I think it's the perfect retirement business. My parents love it. They both do it all themselves. They're on a 2 acre hill. They've built it...
I think it's the perfect retirement business. My parents love it. They both do it all themselves. They're on a 2 acre hill. They've built it slowly and they're hosting the weddings who have 75 and fewer guests. It's a lot of second weddings, vowel renewals and people who don't want to spend an arm and a leg on their wedding. There are several wedding venues around them but they all have different offerings so it works well for them. They've been at it for about 3 or 4 years now and they're getting to a point where they have an average of 5 or 6 weddings a month. You can see the view they have. Not many places in Texas or our area specifically like it. No wedding venues that I know of have that view. My mom initially wanted to get into the catering arena but that proved to be more work and pretty competitive. Shoot me an email if you want some more information or if you have specific questions. My spam email is rr06600atyahoodotcom. I check it pretty frequently.
Awesome, I really appreciate it! That does look like an awesome view, too
peelout
10/7/2014 4:15pm
IWreckALot wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
here's weird for ya...

my dad and i run a commercial glazing contracting company, his ex-partner got into the wedding venue business after leaving the company and is extremely successful with it. i keep telling the old man that we are in the wrong business, every Tom Dick and Harry is getting married in Utah (and divorced then married again)
BlueThumper
10/7/2014 5:48pm
IWreckALot wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
peelout wrote:
here's weird for ya... my dad and i run a commercial glazing contracting company, his ex-partner got into the wedding venue business after leaving the company...
here's weird for ya...

my dad and i run a commercial glazing contracting company, his ex-partner got into the wedding venue business after leaving the company and is extremely successful with it. i keep telling the old man that we are in the wrong business, every Tom Dick and Harry is getting married in Utah (and divorced then married again)
I DJ weddings almost every weekend and 90% are at outdoor facilities; barns, covered pavilions, rough wood chapels, etc. Six separate facilities in a 20 mile radius and all making from $1500 - $5000 each weekend.

Big business if you have the property and facilities.
IWreckALot
10/8/2014 5:23am
I DJ weddings almost every weekend and 90% are at outdoor facilities; barns, covered pavilions, rough wood chapels, etc. Six separate facilities in a 20 mile...
I DJ weddings almost every weekend and 90% are at outdoor facilities; barns, covered pavilions, rough wood chapels, etc. Six separate facilities in a 20 mile radius and all making from $1500 - $5000 each weekend.

Big business if you have the property and facilities.
Don't underestimate the cost to start one up though. That $1,500-$5,000 doesn't go far if you have to take loans to do it. But if you can do it without taking on debt, it can be a cash cow. Although, that's probably the case with most businesses.
motosmith
10/8/2014 8:55am
IWreckALot wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
peelout wrote:
here's weird for ya... my dad and i run a commercial glazing contracting company, his ex-partner got into the wedding venue business after leaving the company...
here's weird for ya...

Whats commercial glazing? Just curious.
peelout
10/8/2014 10:43am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2014 10:43am
hvaughn88 wrote:
peelout wrote:
here's weird for ya...

motosmith wrote:
Whats commercial glazing? Just curious.
storefront frames, doors, glass on office buildings, retail malls, car dealerships, etc. my website is under construction or i would point you to it for an idea of what we do. actually after reading the above posts, i'm going to check out wix and get going.

here's one of our projects, it's the Trax depot in SLC

Post a reply to: Website design?

The Latest