Plasti-dip?

mx757
3/3/2015 10:46pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2015 6:14am
Has anyone ever used some of this stuff on their truck? I just bought a 2001 Tundra, and was thinking about doing the emblems in a different color to make it stand out more. Whats the easiest way to remove and re-apply the badging?
|
huck
3/4/2015 5:13am
The key is doing many thinner coats of it... just keep piling it on. That'll make it easier to 'peel' it off when you're tired of it. Lots of people do their wheels with it. it'll start chipping and peeling and looking like shit after a couple months and can be a real pain in the ass taking off of wheels and places with lots of 'hiding' spots.
SEE ARE125
3/4/2015 5:14am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 5:15am
Fishing line. Wrap it around your fingers like you're flossing your teeth, start at one end and pull the line up and down in a sawing motion, working your way across the emblem.
newmann
3/4/2015 6:19am
Warm the metal around the emblem with a heat gun. Get it nice and hot and the adhesive will release. Sometimes it will even come off nice and clean. Otherwise use fishing string like see are 125 mentioned with a little soapy water to keep it from getting stuck and breaking. An eraser wheel on a drill will clean the old double side tape off the paint and emblem without damage.

Unless you have one of these bad boys. My lifesaver here!
Hut
3/4/2015 6:45am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 6:46am
newmann wrote:
Warm the metal around the emblem with a heat gun. Get it nice and hot and the adhesive will release. Sometimes it will even come off...
Warm the metal around the emblem with a heat gun. Get it nice and hot and the adhesive will release. Sometimes it will even come off nice and clean. Otherwise use fishing string like see are 125 mentioned with a little soapy water to keep it from getting stuck and breaking. An eraser wheel on a drill will clean the old double side tape off the paint and emblem without damage.

Ok what is that thing? Would that be a good tool for cleaning polishing the gelcoat on a fifth wheel RV?

Sorry for off topic but I am interested

The Shop

Spydee
3/4/2015 6:53am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Fishing line. Wrap it around your fingers like you're flossing your teeth, start at one end and pull the line up and down in a sawing...
Fishing line. Wrap it around your fingers like you're flossing your teeth, start at one end and pull the line up and down in a sawing motion, working your way across the emblem.
This. Followed by heat/hot water on the emblem.

757, Your name wouldn't happen to be Brandon(/Brendan) would it?
newmann
3/4/2015 8:49am
newmann wrote:
Warm the metal around the emblem with a heat gun. Get it nice and hot and the adhesive will release. Sometimes it will even come off...

Hut wrote:
Ok what is that thing? Would that be a good tool for cleaning polishing the gelcoat on a fifth wheel RV? Sorry for off topic but...
Ok what is that thing? Would that be a good tool for cleaning polishing the gelcoat on a fifth wheel RV?

Those are strictly for removing decals, moulding tape and the adhesive residue left behind. For polishing gelcoat, treat it basically like polishing paint on a car. A local automotive paint supply store should be able to point you to all the proper tools, buffing and polishing pads as well as all the proper compounds and polishes. Good website here for stuff you need!

Verify if your RV is actual gelcoat or painted laminate panels. You can look under automotive also, but boats are gelcoat.

http://wizardsproducts.com/marine-product-guide
bronwynrayne
3/4/2015 9:51am
The entire front grill on my ford is plastidipped black because I think it looks more aggressive. It's been on there for 6+ months and I can easily remove it (and will have to soon to reapply as it is starting to look aged). Emblems are easy to do, just make sure it is not a windy day, and that it is a decently warm temperature.

Masking tape off the area with some newspaper or what have you, but not closely, it will peel easily off the paint and terminate itself in the corners where the emblem meets the body. Make sure you start spraying OFF of the emblem, then move across it, otherwise you will get unsightly drips and have to wait for it to dry, peel it off, and reapply. Light coats are for sure the way to go, many light coats. It's a bit of a process but I think it looks wicked! Gonna be blacking out mine here pretty quick, just gotta figure out how to do the logo on my tailgate without covering the backup camera...
Hut
3/4/2015 4:52pm
newmann wrote:

Hut wrote:
Ok what is that thing? Would that be a good tool for cleaning polishing the gelcoat on a fifth wheel RV? Sorry for off topic but...

newmann wrote:
Those are strictly for removing decals, moulding tape and the adhesive residue left behind. For polishing gelcoat, treat it basically like polishing paint on a car...
Those are strictly for removing decals, moulding tape and the adhesive residue left behind. For polishing gelcoat, treat it basically like polishing paint on a car. A local automotive paint supply store should be able to point you to all the proper tools, buffing and polishing pads as well as all the proper compounds and polishes. Good website here for stuff you need!

Verify if your RV is actual gelcoat or painted laminate panels. You can look under automotive also, but boats are gelcoat.

http://wizardsproducts.com/marine-product-guide
Ok great thanks I could have used those a time or two. Thanks for the tips I will look into it as the weather starts warming up here. It is "High Gloss Exterior Fiberglass" which I think is gelcoat but not sure. I usually just wash it and then use some nu-finish but it is starting to show some age so I got some work to do.
Rdubs19
3/5/2015 10:53am
My buddy and I plastidipped the bumpers of his truck and possibly his rims (too many beers to remember). For the bumpers we just put about 4 to 5 layers on, somewhat carefully, and they turned out great and have held up extremely well. No flaking or peeling that I've noticed. And they seriously look great.
Jakes Dad
3/5/2015 4:59pm
Jake has a 2001 Tacoma he's done the wheels, bumpers and grill. Over a year now no issues, just do at least 4 to 5 coats. My daughter did her wheels, grill and badges on her Honda Accord. Simple green cleans the wheels real good and brings the black luster back out.
mx757
3/5/2015 5:44pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Fishing line. Wrap it around your fingers like you're flossing your teeth, start at one end and pull the line up and down in a sawing...
Spydee wrote:
This. Followed by heat/hot water on the emblem.

757, Your name wouldn't happen to be Brandon(/Brendan) would it?
Yes haha
mx757
3/5/2015 5:48pm
I was thinking of doing my tundra emblems black and red, black on the "Toyota" part, and red on the "tundra" part.
Spydee
3/6/2015 12:13am
Ah ha, a fellow ronronmx'er, I knew recognised your username! Good to see you around dude. Cool
Xracerdone
3/6/2015 6:14am
Just remove emblems & leave them off,. looks much cooler. With plasti dip it is all about the prep. Clean it well, like Huck said thin coats over & over. With small enough emblems you can actually dip them which will speed up the process of layering. I've seen off roaders plasti dip rims & they hold up great. Do note, if you clear coat after plasti dip it won't be easy to remove said plasti dip.

Post a reply to: Plasti-dip?

The Latest