Why we race X-games

sleetdawg
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 10:38pm
So X-Games is all over and after bringing a knife to a gun fight I'm pumped to leave the race safe and making the Main on a 250f and even getting the holeshot in heat 1. I read about some of the posts about how you guys wonder why Grant and other top guys would even do X-games during the important outdoor season?

I'll tell you the reason why, TV TV TV... Our sport is on the edge of going bye bye and anything that a team can do to get exposure for our sponsors is what we have to do. It is such a shame to see riders get injured in these one-off races as I have done it myself. Live TV in front millions of fans is something our sport doesn't get too often so teams have to bite the bullet for their title sponsors and go to these events. For riders like me that can't do all the outdoors it's great because I will get more exposure from this one race then getting five top-10s in the outdoors.

Another great thing about the X-Games is how great all the athletes are treated. We have great purse money, the staff is really happy that you could be there to race, rider's input is #1, there is no entry fee because you are the show. Tell me this isn't how it should be in AMA SX? My sponsors are all pumped that I was out there but I made a point of being very cautious and making smart decisions due to the fact I have to go to work on Monday.

Josh Grant had a mechanical, Blake Wharton blew it and jumped on top of Antsie so all of these events could have been prevented, but that is racing and when you go racing things can happened out of a rider's control. Lets just be happy our sport is on the Main stage on live TV and pray that those two riders can recover 100% from their crashes.
|
Cygnus
8/2/2009 11:53am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2009 11:58am
"Our sport" Just sayin.

I really don't think MX will be going bye bye any time soon. Ask DC.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
8/2/2009 11:56am
sleetdawg wrote:
So X-Games is all over and after bringing a knife to a gun fight I'm pumped to leave the race safe and making the Main on...
So X-Games is all over and after bringing a knife to a gun fight I'm pumped to leave the race safe and making the Main on a 250f and even getting the holeshot in heat 1. I read about some of the posts about how you guys wonder why Grant and other top guys would even do X-games during the important outdoor season?

I'll tell you the reason why, TV TV TV... Our sport is on the edge of going bye bye and anything that a team can do to get exposure for our sponsors is what we have to do. It is such a shame to see riders get injured in these one-off races as I have done it myself. Live TV in front millions of fans is something our sport doesn't get too often so teams have to bite the bullet for their title sponsors and go to these events. For riders like me that can't do all the outdoors it's great because I will get more exposure from this one race then getting five top-10s in the outdoors.

Another great thing about the X-Games is how great all the athletes are treated. We have great purse money, the staff is really happy that you could be there to race, rider's input is #1, there is no entry fee because you are the show. Tell me this isn't how it should be in AMA SX? My sponsors are all pumped that I was out there but I made a point of being very cautious and making smart decisions due to the fact I have to go to work on Monday.

Josh Grant had a mechanical, Blake Wharton blew it and jumped on top of Antsie so all of these events could have been prevented, but that is racing and when you go racing things can happened out of a rider's control. Lets just be happy our sport is on the Main stage on live TV and pray that those two riders can recover 100% from their crashes.
Well said.
sesker15
8/2/2009 11:58am
sleetdawg great post. I saw you get that whole shot. Nice!!!!!
Dogger
8/2/2009 11:59am
Hey Michael, why didn't they water the track enough to at least keep the dust down? Seems like if the riders input was #1 there would have been some better track prep going on.

BTW-Good explanation spelling errors and all.Smile

The Shop

sleetdawg
8/2/2009 12:01pm
You do not water that dirt once it gets like that! We told them to not water... I got really banged up at the MC invitational on the same dirt bc they watered the track
Cygnus
8/2/2009 12:07pm
Concrete with water sucks.
mxtryon231
8/2/2009 12:32pm
sleetdawg wrote:
You do not water that dirt once it gets like that! We told them to not water... I got really banged up at the MC invitational...
You do not water that dirt once it gets like that! We told them to not water... I got really banged up at the MC invitational on the same dirt bc they watered the track
I remember that! MC got banged up also.. How come in LA wether it be the Home Depot center or anywhere..the tracks are like run down SX test tracks??? Why not bring in some good dirt? Xgames has money..
sleetdawg
8/2/2009 12:39pm
The dirt is good... We had practice on Thursday, Friday and Saturday so the track had a ton of laps on it. Thursday the track was PERFECT but the longer you ride clay baking in the sun it's just going to get hard. Not to mention you had supermoto and FMX on the same dirt. The track builders did a great job. I think it's funny everyone that didn't ride complained about the track.
bvm111
8/2/2009 12:50pm
Cygnus wrote:
"Our sport" Just sayin.

I really don't think MX will be going bye bye any time soon. Ask DC.
ill add.... their sponsors... as opposed to there sponsors... im also just sayin!!!Whistling
j100
8/2/2009 12:52pm
I agree with Sleeter on every one of his points!

the athlete lounges are fully catered, live TV, internet, videos games, ect.... the staff treated everyone with respect and i think the riders and teams enjoy that type of attention.

unless you've experienced this you'll never understand the difference between even a SX to the X Games.

i mean, we don't have athlete lounges at any event, lol.

ESPN still has a little way to go on everything, but they've got how to treat the teams and athletes down pat.

sleetdawg
8/2/2009 12:53pm
damn I heard this forum was bad and I see it now. I was just giving some first hand knowledge point taken spell check next time.
jonjon714
8/2/2009 12:54pm
Many of you cats would trade your "excellent Whistling " grammar skills for the riding skills of a pro in a heartbeat so just STFU....
sleetdawg
8/2/2009 1:01pm
As a rider this is why we don't post on message boards. You have people talking about stuff they have no idea about and when you chime in people just fund useless things to say about good topics. I never claimed to be an English major or Author of major books but I have been around this industry for quite some time. I'm pretty sure I will just take this first post as I should have known better.
j100
8/2/2009 1:04pm
Brown nosing? hahahahah how do you brown nose someone you know?

typical, lol.

mxtryon231
8/2/2009 1:08pm
sleetdawg wrote:
The dirt is good... We had practice on Thursday, Friday and Saturday so the track had a ton of laps on it. Thursday the track was...
The dirt is good... We had practice on Thursday, Friday and Saturday so the track had a ton of laps on it. Thursday the track was PERFECT but the longer you ride clay baking in the sun it's just going to get hard. Not to mention you had supermoto and FMX on the same dirt. The track builders did a great job. I think it's funny everyone that didn't ride complained about the track.
true.. I didn't realize you guys had already practiced a couple of days on the track..

maybe next year they will do a MX event rather than SX.. why not rent out a track like Pala or Glen Helen and make a "x games national?"

would be fun to watch for sure!

sorry about the D-Bags in this forum!
trick121
8/2/2009 1:12pm
The outdoors are far from going bye bye. It's those type of comments that get racers in trouble here.

j100
8/2/2009 1:13pm
X Games will be at the LA Coliseum, i'm pretty sure next year.

all the events will be at 1 location.
trick121
8/2/2009 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2009 1:18pm
j100 wrote:
X Games will be at the LA Coliseum, i'm pretty sure next year.

all the events will be at 1 location.
Impossible because of the parking issue. I did the Revlon walk for breast cancer this year and the parking lot couldn't support it. I had to get shuttled to the Coliseum from Staples and it sucked ass bad bad bad. I think the city of LA should just plow down the getto to the south side of the Coliseum for event, school, and museum parking.

j100
8/2/2009 1:15pm
trick121 wrote:
The outdoors are far from going bye bye. It's those type of comments that get racers in trouble here.

he didn't say the outdoors, he said "our sport".

he was just making a point that a lot of teams and sponsors are pulling out and the more we can do to keep them happy, the better.
sleetdawg
8/2/2009 1:18pm
trick121 wrote:

When did I say the outdoors were going bye bye? With the Economic state teams are pulling out of the sport every year leaving great up and coming and current riders with out a job. So if you think everything is just great in MX community walk in to a local motorcycle shop and ask how many bikes they have sold that day?
Ozy
8/2/2009 1:22pm
sleetdawg wrote:
You do not water that dirt once it gets like that! We told them to not water... I got really banged up at the MC invitational...
If they water it after it's ultra hard packed would it get like the dirt at lake elsinore - greased slate?
mxjordy127
8/2/2009 1:24pm
trick121 wrote:

Have you forgotten that Honda and Yamaha dropped there factory teams in Japan.
Trip
8/2/2009 1:25pm
You guys are a joke. You want call out a rider on his spelling and grammar? Sleeter, just stay at Proride, these guys here, most of them don't even ride.

I have some pics of you from practice on Thursday. I was looking for you on Thursday, couldn't find where you were pitted.

Again, just stay away from here, there are some guys on here who actually are happy Grant went down. I'm about done with this place, may start spending more time at Proride. Proride has it's assholes, but at least they ride.
trick121
8/2/2009 1:33pm
trick121 wrote:

sleetdawg wrote:
When did I say the outdoors were going bye bye? With the Economic state teams are pulling out of the sport every year leaving great up...
When did I say the outdoors were going bye bye? With the Economic state teams are pulling out of the sport every year leaving great up and coming and current riders with out a job. So if you think everything is just great in MX community walk in to a local motorcycle shop and ask how many bikes they have sold that day?
Went to A1 and saw several semi's with just one bike under the canopy. Maybe the industry needs to scale down. Everyone is taking a cut in America so why can't motocross racers?

Some shops are folding because their customer service sucks or their prices are too high and it's finally caught up with them. Good because they had a good run rapping customers with their 800 dollar set-up fees. The good shops will stay in business.

Don't come here and put yourself on a pedestal because you can go fast on a motorcycle. We know motocross too because we race motocross, we buy bikes, we pay admission to the tracks, we buy OEM parts, we buy the gear, we pay gallons of gas to get to the races, we know motocross so dont go spouting off because your a pro.

trick121
8/2/2009 1:51pm
This board was built on heated discussions and meltdowns. Say what they want to hear mentality is what guyb wants but it's not human nature to always agree.

Dude is saying the sport I love is going bye bye so should I agree? No. Crazy foolish statement. Plenty of teams have folded but that never stopped the sport from continuing. We have live internet coverage, television coverage, outside sponsors this sport is strong for a weak economy. I'm suffering financially at the moment but does that mean I am going bye bye?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/2/2009 1:53pm
I just took out some trash.

I appreciate the comments, Michael.

Nice whips during the LCQ, too. Smile
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/2/2009 1:55pm
trick121 wrote:
This board was built on heated discussions and meltdowns. Say what they want to hear mentality is what guyb wants but it's not human nature to...
This board was built on heated discussions and meltdowns. Say what they want to hear mentality is what guyb wants but it's not human nature to always agree.

Dude is saying the sport I love is going bye bye so should I agree? No. Crazy foolish statement. Plenty of teams have folded but that never stopped the sport from continuing. We have live internet coverage, television coverage, outside sponsors this sport is strong for a weak economy. I'm suffering financially at the moment but does that mean I am going bye bye?
That's your opinion, ballsout.
VM
8/2/2009 1:57pm
trick121 wrote:
This board was built on heated discussions and meltdowns. Say what they want to hear mentality is what guyb wants but it's not human nature to...

GuyB wrote:
Outed?
JP
8/2/2009 2:01pm
trick121 wrote:

GuyB wrote:
ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

Post a reply to: Why we race X-games

The Latest