Monster Loss

Mr. Info
Edited Date/Time 10/20/2015 3:43am
This is my opinion and mine only. Has this race gone from a hybrid SX/MX race to just another SX? They were not close to a sell out and it did not seem like the riders are that hyped about it. Stewart left after the first moto, why stay if you make no money. Kinda like the GP's why race if no purse. Monster puts a lot into this event but it seems like it keeps losing fan interest.
I went to Vegas and watched the Red Bull Air Races and even though it was not a sell out it was something different not the same old thing. SX is great when all the guys are there, but when they seem to be there but not really there its not the same. Maybe to much SX and MX. My thoughts are a 10/10 series and let them do other stuff if they want. I remember when pro's wanted to race any race they could and enjoy it now that's gone.
I guess old school was much more fun.
|
Xeno
10/19/2015 8:26am Edited Date/Time 10/19/2015 8:26am
Mr Info the TV numbers are more important than attendance (ask Luongo). What are the TV numbers?

Also, no whoops = hybrid track. There should have been more Euros, but they also have to qualify to make the night show- and it was pretty stacked with 'local' talent.

10/19/2015 8:34am
A lot of the riders seem to use this event as a pre season sx test. Is it possible that the riders put pressure on the event organisers to drop the more motocross style aspects of the track that we saw in the first year in favour of bringing the track closer to what they will race on during the supercross season?
Hut
10/19/2015 8:37am
I don't know the actual lap times but it seemed to be much quicker laps this year and the racing went by so quick. Yet it was still pretty boring for some reason.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
10/19/2015 8:38am
in truth its a replacement for the US Open which was really a larger AX race with a fat check waiting. This is for all intents and puposes a SX track that breaks the cookie cutter mold that has plagued the AMA series. The different format along with the creative layout.

honestly i wish the guys who develop the layout had input on the ama series because this track beats out any from the normal 16. Except when in 09 they let various pros make the layouts and TP 199 made a killer ST louis track

The Shop

JLong
10/19/2015 8:38am
I enjoyed it. Free of charge from couch, all the best were there, the amateurs were on it, the super minis gave a view of the future stars. TV coverage good for racers if you're in top 5.

In a world raining vaginas some just see a pecker storm. Race on...
10/19/2015 8:42am
No whoops is a double whammy.

Doesn't allow anyone to make up a ton of time if stuck in the back.

But also prevent s a guy from pulling away from the field if he gets a good start and murders whoops.

The Vegas track has more exciting racing when it is lanes and 180 degree turns. Layout this year really seemed like it forcer riders to file in line.
Hut
10/19/2015 8:44am
I just googled lap times; in 2010 the inaugural race RV was clearly fastest running in the 1:27 second range during motos. This race the leaders were all under 1:10.
Xeno
10/19/2015 8:45am
I think the main criteria for the track design is parity- in order to avoid one guy from dominating and taking the million.
50 meters of whoops will eliminate 80% of the racers for the win.
Xeno
10/19/2015 8:47am
By the way, anyone who doesn't enjoy a TV show featuring both Jamie Little and Jenny Taft is a damn fool.
Roostermx58
10/19/2015 8:49am
Hut wrote:
I just googled lap times; in 2010 the inaugural race RV was clearly fastest running in the 1:27 second range during motos. This race the leaders...
I just googled lap times; in 2010 the inaugural race RV was clearly fastest running in the 1:27 second range during motos. This race the leaders were all under 1:10.
This race also didn't have near the jumps that the past monster cups have had. That's why the lap times were so much shorter. They gave us a preview of the layout for 2016 which showed a lot more jumps and supercross style.
TeamGreen
10/19/2015 9:08am
Rain in the forecast (kinda crazy weather in the West, period)

And, there were plenty of people there...yet, it wasn't "sold out". So be it.

Being there, in person, and seeing the experience from the fan's perspective? It's an excellent event.

Grieby54
10/19/2015 9:40am
I love the MEC - it's one of my favorite races every year. The 2013 cup had some of the very best racing I've ever watched and it has potential for that level of racing every year. This year the track wasn't great and the racing just didn't materialize for various reasons. To call it a bad event is just asinine.
DPR250R
10/19/2015 10:58am
Looked like more people were there than at the USGP.

The star power was def higher at MEC.
mx_563
10/19/2015 11:00am
I'm sick of Monster in general and the Monster Cup feels forced.

It's not a true hybrid track (as originally billed).
The million is not really a million (just ask RV...he found out after he swept the inaugural event).
No Euro riders (as originally billed).
Not all US riders even show up.
80cc class....who cares?
The super team of Ralph, Emig, and RC...I can't bear to listen to these people anymore.
Smoke and mirrors BS.....(flames going off on the track during the event - WTF is this, a motorcycle race or Universal Studios?)

I don't care than Monster brings in tons of money. I wish they would go away. I feel like it's being shoved down my throat. The Monster marketing machine is jumping the shark in my opinion. Anybody watch that Monster infomercial disguised as a press conference? Ugh.

hvaughn88
10/19/2015 11:07am
mx_563 wrote:
I'm sick of Monster in general and the Monster Cup feels forced. It's not a true hybrid track (as originally billed). The million is not really...

The million is not really a million (just ask RV...he found out after he swept the inaugural event).
80cc class....who cares?
The super team of Ralph, Emig, and RC...I can't bear to listen to these people anymore.
Smoke and mirrors BS.....(flames going off on the track during the event - WTF is this, a motorcycle race or Universal Studios?)

I don't care than Monster brings in tons of money. I wish they would go away. I feel like it's being shoved down my throat. The Monster marketing machine is jumping the shark in my opinion. Anybody watch that Monster infomercial disguised as a press conference? Ugh.

Damn, dude.
10/19/2015 11:18am
mx_563 wrote:
I'm sick of Monster in general and the Monster Cup feels forced. It's not a true hybrid track (as originally billed). The million is not really...

80cc class....who cares?

oh the irony..... you got a avatar on here of a numberplate with the monster logo on it....
TeamGreen
10/19/2015 11:19am
mx_563 wrote:

80cc class....who cares?

hvaughn88 wrote:
Damn, dude.
I get the feeling some of the guys don't ride...

Or...don't get laid.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
10/19/2015 11:22am
Kind of like when they had the US open of Supercross at the MGM grand, it was really cool for a few years and then just turned into another race. Sad
mauidex
10/19/2015 11:26am
oh the irony..... you got a avatar on here of a numberplate with the monster logo on it....
WoohooWoohooWoohooLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingWoohooWoohooWoohooLaughingLaughingLaughing
philG
10/19/2015 11:31am
Xeno wrote:
I think the main criteria for the track design is parity- in order to avoid one guy from dominating and taking the million. 50 meters of...
I think the main criteria for the track design is parity- in order to avoid one guy from dominating and taking the million.
50 meters of whoops will eliminate 80% of the racers for the win.
Nail Head.

Run a track with killer whoops and a jump only 2 people can clear and the amount of riders in with a shout goes way down.
IWreckALot
10/19/2015 11:35am
I dunno, I was just happy to see that FanDuel and DraftKings commercials were embedded every :12 of even the MEC.
Rdubs19
10/19/2015 11:46am
mx_563 wrote:

80cc class....who cares?

Devil's advocate, I agree with nearly all of this. The cheese factor with SX has gone absolutely through the roof. The flames, trashy whores, godawful screaming announcers and RALPH YELLING EVERY WORD OF THE BROADCAST.
Thank God for the outdoors.
TommyLee93
10/19/2015 11:47am
mx_563 wrote:

80cc class....who cares?

Ok. Don't watch, and we will try to keep those damn kids off your lawn.
motoman617
10/19/2015 11:53am
I enjoy Supercross or any racing when it is on. I would like to see them keep the 250 races along with the "Big Show"
Make something special for the 250 guys also. Put a big purse up for them. I also enjoy seeing the amateur and Minis.

I might be a little more simple minded than all the experts here but I enjoyed it.
peelout
10/19/2015 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2015 12:01pm
i'm completely at a loss for words at the negativity that surrounded this race this year... i was there and that was some of the most exciting racing i've seen live in a long time. i think people just want to hate.

keep drinking your haterade, bros. James not racing wasn't entirely surprising, though i still don't know why he didn't race 2nd and 3rd moto...

also, Manny, sorry we weren't able to meet up there was just a lot going on all day
dak446
10/19/2015 12:04pm
Agree w/ the 'jumping the shark' point, mx_563. But, they live by the golden rule: Those who have the gold card, make the rules.
Lightning78
10/19/2015 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2015 12:11pm
mx_563 wrote:

80cc class....who cares?

I kind of had similar sentiments bt yo said it perfectly. The fireworks show is borderline a KISS concert now. The "Monster" everything was just as obnoxious but I get it that they are promoting the race where redbull riders went 1-2 and rockstar taking the 3rd spot kinda makes me chuckle. I miss the days of racing that wasn't obnoxiously branded to the hilt with one logo its getting to be overkill to me but it wasn't all bad it just felt like a big infomercial and BY THE WAY what kind of name for a rv trailer company is "Attitude"??
Hut
10/19/2015 12:15pm
peelout wrote:
i'm completely at a loss for words at the negativity that surrounded this race this year... i was there and that was some of the most...
i'm completely at a loss for words at the negativity that surrounded this race this year... i was there and that was some of the most exciting racing i've seen live in a long time. i think people just want to hate.

keep drinking your haterade, bros. James not racing wasn't entirely surprising, though i still don't know why he didn't race 2nd and 3rd moto...

also, Manny, sorry we weren't able to meet up there was just a lot going on all day
Must have been better in person. The daytime webcast sucked ass and the night show wasn't all that great imho. The super-minis were the only memorable part.

They showed James holding his wrist wincing in pain when they announced him bowing out of the final 2 motos.
peelout
10/19/2015 12:18pm
peelout wrote:
i'm completely at a loss for words at the negativity that surrounded this race this year... i was there and that was some of the most...

Hut wrote:
Must have been better in person. The daytime webcast sucked ass and the night show wasn't all that great imho. The super-minis were the only memorable...
Must have been better in person. The daytime webcast sucked ass and the night show wasn't all that great imho. The super-minis were the only memorable part.

They showed James holding his wrist wincing in pain when they announced him bowing out of the final 2 motos.
i haven't caught the broadcast yet.

the supermini racing was awesome, i'll agree with that
mx_563
10/19/2015 2:06pm
Yeah, I noticed that too before I clicked submit. But that was from 2011. :-)

I know I'm coming across like an old bitter man (which I am indeed quickly becoming) but even if exagerated, my rant has a little bit of validity...you gotta admit. It's just overkill monster claws, man.

Look at Bercy. That race has been "off da chains!" for decades and they've managed to do it without an energy drink.

Post a reply to: Monster Loss

The Latest