Has "Press Day" Become..

Switch
Edited Date/Time 5/22/2015 7:51am
Has "press day" become another testing and practice day for those invited? Or are the outdoor press days open to all riders, unlike the invite list of SX?

On a related note, how long is the track open for these riders on press day? Long enough to make setting changes to come out swinging during qualifying on race day I would think.

I'll hold off on posting a full opinion until I learn more, but what do you think? Is it really necessary with the amount of internet content and photos/videos available in todays world? Can't the local media gather images to post and have MX Sports just hold a pre race press conference to hear from the riders?

|
enketchum
5/21/2015 10:08pm Edited Date/Time 5/21/2015 10:08pm
There isn't an invite list for SX. Each team gets a limited number of press days they can sign up for. I think it's 2 or 3 ?
sostoked
5/21/2015 10:29pm
i feel like privateers should get to ride press day and factory riders not. It might help bridge the gap speed wise and get privateers more exposure which they deserve. Plus If privateers got a little more comfortable on the track it might lessen injuries come time to qualify when they go wide open on a track they may not have a full grasp on...

Is the idea of press day for track workers to see how their track will react to national caliber riders? in case they need to make changes? in that case I understand why they want a limited number of riders.

DC
5/21/2015 10:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/21/2015 10:39pm
Local privateers who do local radio and TV and attract press are always invited, like Justin Jones and Sean Collier today. The teams (who almost always attract press) have their chances split evenly amongst them. This week it was mostly 450 teams, and while we always try to include as many privateers as possible, it always helps if there's interest from local press. The "press" part of press day, be it supercross or motocross, is why it happens in the first place....

DC
MX Sports
Switch
5/21/2015 11:55pm
DC wrote:
Local privateers who do local radio and TV and attract press are always invited, like Justin Jones and Sean Collier today. The teams (who almost always...
Local privateers who do local radio and TV and attract press are always invited, like Justin Jones and Sean Collier today. The teams (who almost always attract press) have their chances split evenly amongst them. This week it was mostly 450 teams, and while we always try to include as many privateers as possible, it always helps if there's interest from local press. The "press" part of press day, be it supercross or motocross, is why it happens in the first place....

DC
MX Sports
Thanks DC.

It's interesting to see Two Two Motorsports post on Facebook that Josh Grant was going out for "practice" today at GH.. Thats what got me questioning the concept. I guess it doesn't matter how they see it as long as it serves a purpose to the series.

The Shop

MR. X
5/22/2015 5:25am
sostoked wrote:
i feel like privateers should get to ride press day and factory riders not. It might help bridge the gap speed wise and get privateers more...
i feel like privateers should get to ride press day and factory riders not. It might help bridge the gap speed wise and get privateers more exposure which they deserve. Plus If privateers got a little more comfortable on the track it might lessen injuries come time to qualify when they go wide open on a track they may not have a full grasp on...

Is the idea of press day for track workers to see how their track will react to national caliber riders? in case they need to make changes? in that case I understand why they want a limited number of riders.

Maybe the privateers would like to ride with the faster pros to learn some diffrent lines before race day.
motomike137
5/22/2015 6:32am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2015 6:34am
Switch wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/05/21/91882/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

What is that on the bottom of Grant's helmet? Also cool to Gary Jones and his son Justin out there!
RPM68
5/22/2015 7:02am
What is that on the bottom of Grant's helmet? Also cool to Gary Jones and his son Justin out there!
its the air bag thing to remove the helmet if they want to stabilize the neck.
TGuse15
5/22/2015 7:44am
Hang on, does that dude on the Honda not have a tire on that gold rim?! I'm on my phone so maybe I just can't see it, but it looks strange...
DC
5/22/2015 7:51am
There are two sessions of twenty minutes, with twenty minutes in between. They ride the whole track as requested. And the reason for riding is because press day usually means coming in two days early, and when it's not Glen Helen, that can mean two extra days on the road, so they do get to "practice" as the balance for being there with their rigs and teams early. We don't make it "open" because that would mean everybody would be there two days early, and travels costs for the teams would go through the roof. And supercross only does part of the track because the track is usually not fully built by Thursday.

DC
MX Sports

Post a reply to: Has "Press Day" Become..

The Latest