This sue thing while selling bike...

DrSweden
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:43pm
I knew there was a discussion previously but to be more specific in my case:

If I let the buyer to test it on a track and he crashes his brains out, would you think he can sue me? I have this buyer (people talk but wont walk the walk, so it probably wont happen) on my CRF and he wants to test it before he buys it so I said yes on a track.

How would you set it up (I assume he just want to ride it to see that engine and gears works)?
|
Cygnus
7/21/2010 6:54am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2010 6:56am
No test rides period. I had a friend that let a guy test ride his bike. He regretted it when the guy rode off into the sunset never to be seen again.
whoopsrider
7/21/2010 6:58am
true stuff, that same thing happened to a friend of mine. He let someone test ride and the guy never came back.

If you don't know the people then don't do it. No Test Ride!
jtiger12
7/21/2010 7:00am
NO TEST RIDE!!!

there is a reason that even the DEALERS don't have insurance to cover that type of thing..

if you really are a doctor with money, i would expect you to understand this.. You are a perfect score for an ambulance chaser. Welcome to america
WFO
7/21/2010 7:02am
I had a guy show up one time in a pick-up truck with another guy. He said he wanted to ride it down the street. I told the other guy I wanted his keys and he said what? I told him sorry. They left without riding the bike.

The Shop

KGAspeed
7/21/2010 7:05am
There is no reason for someone to "test" a bike. Any buyer with common sense would know that a 20 minute ride anywhere isn't enough to properly judge a bike anyway (given all the personal setup they all require, which I'm sure you know).

No way.
olddude
7/21/2010 7:07am
Sell it to him before test ride. Payment, bill of sale etc. 15 minute full refund warranty. Cash is king,
500guy
7/21/2010 7:09am
DrSweden wrote:
I knew there was a discussion previously but to be more specific in my case: If I let the buyer to test it on a track...

If I let the buyer to test it on a track and he crashes his brains out, would you think he can sue me? I have this buyer (people talk but wont walk the walk, so it probably wont happen) on my CRF and he wants to test it before he buys it so I said yes on a track.

How would you set it up (I assume he just want to ride it to see that engine and gears works)?
1st get a deposit , I'd say 1,000 cash

2nd make him sign a waiver that he is taking responsibility.

if he doesn't want to do either tell him no thanks.
Steve47
7/21/2010 7:16am
olddude wrote:
Sell it to him before test ride. Payment, bill of sale etc. 15 minute full refund warranty. Cash is king,
That's what I do.

I sell the bike and tell them that I'll buy it back right away if it doesn't run good or something. But the bike is sold before they touch it.

prillernut
7/21/2010 7:19am
absolutely - like I put in my last ad, "No free rides".
Highsider
7/21/2010 7:26am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2010 7:26am
Doc-

You demo the bike for the buyer. Go through the gears and rev it modestly.

He can look for exhaust smoke and engine noises while you ride it around. At a track is even more fun, for you!

Don't let them ride it until you have the cash.
downandup
7/21/2010 7:52am
People can sue for anything they want. Whether or not they will win is another story. Don't believe all the crap you hear about huge lawsuit victories though. In the end, they get cut down to 1/4 of what you hear, but the media never tells you that part!
RACEGUY
7/21/2010 7:56am
Oldguy and highsider are offering you excellent advice. Qualify the buyer by offering him a full refund if the bike is not as expected after a successful (no crashes) test ride.

We even had to take those steps at the dealership I used to work for.

Buy the bike - take it for a ride - and if it's not as expected and the bike has not been damaged, you can ask for a refund.

I wouldn't do it any other way.
DrSweden
7/21/2010 8:35am
Cool people. Good advice about him buying the sucker then do a refund if there's something wrong with it...

Or also suggested, I can ride it for him! Smile
dedi684
7/21/2010 9:57am
I always tell them no. A guy wanted to test ride one of my sleds, I told him no I'll show you how she runs. Took it right down the side of the road, sparks and all. Needless to say, he didn't buy it that day but came back a couple months later and did.
7/21/2010 1:24pm
Highsider wrote:
Doc- You demo the bike for the buyer. Go through the gears and rev it modestly. He can look for exhaust smoke and engine noises while...
Doc-

You demo the bike for the buyer. Go through the gears and rev it modestly.

He can look for exhaust smoke and engine noises while you ride it around. At a track is even more fun, for you!

Don't let them ride it until you have the cash.
Thats what I do!!
KAWboy14
7/21/2010 1:33pm
DrSweden wrote:
I knew there was a discussion previously but to be more specific in my case: If I let the buyer to test it on a track...

i would let him watch me ride it on the track! he can make his own adjustments to the bike when he buys it!
peelout719
7/21/2010 1:36pm
i would never let someone test my bike before they bought it. buy it or get the fuck out so i can sell it to someone else jacko.
Brent
7/21/2010 1:58pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2010 1:59pm
peelout719 wrote:
i would never let someone test my bike before they bought it. buy it or get the fuck out so i can sell it to someone...
i would never let someone test my bike before they bought it. buy it or get the fuck out so i can sell it to someone else jacko.
Yup.

The bike comes from the dealer with no warranty, why should you be any different.

Anyway, most bike buyers can tell the difference between a beater and a vet bike that has only been ridden once or twice.

Tell them to bring a compression tester and pull the spark plug, thats all they should get.

Don't EVER let them ride it until you have their CASH in hand.
Cygnus
7/21/2010 2:32pm
peelout719 wrote:
i would never let someone test my bike before they bought it. buy it or get the fuck out so i can sell it to someone...
Brent wrote:
Yup. The bike comes from the dealer with no warranty, why should you be any different. Anyway, most bike buyers can tell the difference between a...
Yup.

The bike comes from the dealer with no warranty, why should you be any different.

Anyway, most bike buyers can tell the difference between a beater and a vet bike that has only been ridden once or twice.

Tell them to bring a compression tester and pull the spark plug, thats all they should get.

Don't EVER let them ride it until you have their CASH in hand.
Can't do a compression check on a CRF. Leak down only.
peelout719
7/21/2010 2:36pm
buddy of mine was selling a bike and they wanted to do a burn down the road. he told them money or leave. they put the money in his hand and wheelied the bike over at 3rd gear. he came out with the money and a near fist fight because they wanted the money back.
RACEGUY
7/21/2010 2:41pm
peelout719 wrote:
buddy of mine was selling a bike and they wanted to do a burn down the road. he told them money or leave. they put the...
buddy of mine was selling a bike and they wanted to do a burn down the road. he told them money or leave. they put the money in his hand and wheelied the bike over at 3rd gear. he came out with the money and a near fist fight because they wanted the money back.
That's exactly why you get the money up front, or no deal.
7/21/2010 3:51pm
peelout719 wrote:
buddy of mine was selling a bike and they wanted to do a burn down the road. he told them money or leave. they put the...
RACEGUY wrote:
That's exactly why you get the money up front, or no deal.
Yep. That dude who looped it just bought himself a bike.
Flatliner
7/21/2010 4:14pm
The cash in hand is the safest way for both parties.

He's bought a bike and can now ride it, yet if he rides it and its un satisfactory he can return it to you on the spot. Fair deal.
JustMX
7/21/2010 7:32pm
downandup wrote:
People can sue for anything they want. Whether or not they will win is another story. Don't believe all the crap you hear about huge lawsuit...
People can sue for anything they want. Whether or not they will win is another story. Don't believe all the crap you hear about huge lawsuit victories though. In the end, they get cut down to 1/4 of what you hear, but the media never tells you that part!
Maybe,

But the thing that they also don't report is how much it costs to defend against litigation.

What difference does the actual settlement make when both sides drag the shit out for two or three years of billable hours and copy charges?
DrSweden
7/21/2010 7:57pm
Guys, he didn't try it. I started her before him, and he obviously saw it was a new bike and didn't feel it was necessary. He bought the beast.

So NO lawsuit! Smile

Tnx again for the input!
olddude
7/21/2010 8:18pm
Congrats on the divorce. Say bye to the beast.
Crush
7/21/2010 9:19pm
What does he need to test?!?!

Start it for him, you take it up and down the street...

Then grab the wheels, swingarm, bearing test etc... Let him go over it, but if it's a relatively new bike that's been maintained it shouldn't be too hard to tell...

If he isn't sure if he likes it, cause I think you have an 09CRF, then ask him to test ride one of his mates or something!!!
quiknic
Fantasy
1147th
7/21/2010 9:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2010 9:56pm
NO, NO and NO... I have learned this one first hand. I had an 03 YZ426F that was only four or five months old but I really was not liking the four stroke so I went back to the two stroke and had a co-worker that wanted to buy it but just needed to try it out first.

He swore that he was a big stud on two wheels "Back in the Day" so I brought him out to the track with me, within five minutes he hops in behind me and while I jump this single-to-step-up triple he rips on the brakes over the first one as he was going to slow to clear the gap but too fast to roll it and ends up bouncing off the face of the step-up with a fist-full-o-throttle and ends up looping out and landing on his ass a good 20-30 feet away and nowhere near my bike. Needless to say my bike ended up with a broken sub frame, Pro Circuit exhaust bent into a pretzel, seat destroyed and the rear fender torn off. After taking him to the emergency room and waiting for his wife (he ended up being in the hospital for a week and out of work for three) he tells me that he no longer has an interest in the bike and does not feel like he should have to pay to fix it since he lost money by being out of work and the hospital bills.

Nope, never sold him the bike or received any money to get it fixed so I would definitely say F-NO to test rides. Angry
crf250pilot
7/22/2010 4:45am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2010 4:48am
quiknic wrote:
NO, NO and NO... I have learned this one first hand. I had an 03 YZ426F that was only four or five months old but I...
NO, NO and NO... I have learned this one first hand. I had an 03 YZ426F that was only four or five months old but I really was not liking the four stroke so I went back to the two stroke and had a co-worker that wanted to buy it but just needed to try it out first.

He swore that he was a big stud on two wheels "Back in the Day" so I brought him out to the track with me, within five minutes he hops in behind me and while I jump this single-to-step-up triple he rips on the brakes over the first one as he was going to slow to clear the gap but too fast to roll it and ends up bouncing off the face of the step-up with a fist-full-o-throttle and ends up looping out and landing on his ass a good 20-30 feet away and nowhere near my bike. Needless to say my bike ended up with a broken sub frame, Pro Circuit exhaust bent into a pretzel, seat destroyed and the rear fender torn off. After taking him to the emergency room and waiting for his wife (he ended up being in the hospital for a week and out of work for three) he tells me that he no longer has an interest in the bike and does not feel like he should have to pay to fix it since he lost money by being out of work and the hospital bills.

Nope, never sold him the bike or received any money to get it fixed so I would definitely say F-NO to test rides. Angry
My brother had the same thing happen to him with a co-worker and the guy didn't pay for any damage to his bike either. Well, my brother got promoted and guess who he put first on the list when layoffs came around that year? Pay backs can be a bitch! Guess they both learned a lesson

Post a reply to: This sue thing while selling bike...

The Latest