13 250xc Funny Noise

jordon372
Posting for a friend.

We went and rode this past weekend and his bike started sounding pretty funny. It sounds like the motor has some drag or resistance but I can’t diagnose it just from the sound but maybe some of you can. I think the power valve is stuck or the crank bearing is going out or maybe the rings.

Not sure how to post a video but the link below goes to it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/lR9uIux
|
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1017th
1/27/2020 7:45pm
I would remove the exhaust pipe and right side power valve cover for inspection. Very minor disassembly. While going thru my 14 250SX rebuild, I removed the same cover and found the power valve spring with zero tension and not connected. Assuming my power valve wasn't even working correctly, funny cause I didn't notice it.
YZed250
1/28/2020 10:01am
jordon372 wrote:
Posting for a friend. We went and rode this past weekend and his bike started sounding pretty funny. It sounds like the motor has some drag...
Posting for a friend.

We went and rode this past weekend and his bike started sounding pretty funny. It sounds like the motor has some drag or resistance but I can’t diagnose it just from the sound but maybe some of you can. I think the power valve is stuck or the crank bearing is going out or maybe the rings.

Not sure how to post a video but the link below goes to it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/lR9uIux
Sounds like right side crank bearing worn out, to me.
I had this on my 2011 250sx (same generation motor), where I had recently rebuilt the top end, checked the rod for play, felt tight, 5 hrs later, right side bearing failed after noticing similar noises at the practice track and then "sending it" the next weekend at a race.

I learned that you can check rod play on these two strokes by checking the flywheel for up and down and in and out play.

Lifting the cylinder is another way to check, but I would suggest you check the flywheel too. That's the part I failed to check.
YZed250
1/28/2020 10:06am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2020 10:07am
As the bearing starts to go, the jetting will go off as the crank starts to walk and opens the right side crank seal.

It will intermittently suck in air and trans oil from the right side crankcase, which messes up the combustion/jetting.

You might also feel vibration from the crank starting to walk inside the bearing races.

This shows the topend rebuild: https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1163810-ktm-250300-topend-rebuild-…

I will see if I can find a link to my engine rebuild, after replacing the piston.

The Shop

YZed250
1/29/2020 11:15am
There is a guy selling a core (crank needs rebuild) from a 2016 250/300 XCW on thumpertalk. Let me know if you need a link.

Post a reply to: 13 250xc Funny Noise

The Latest