Yamaha Power Tuner app - anyone have instructions or understand what the numbers mean?

notevenclose
So I see people moving the numbers around and can feel how the different maps work better here and worse there but what do the numbers mean?
For ignition, is going negative the same as advancing or retarding the ignition?
For fuel injection, are the numbers increasing fuel or changing the timing of the fuel injection?

Also, is it possible to create a curve that will overfuel or damage the engine?

Thanks!
|
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/26/2018 11:46am Edited Date/Time 9/26/2018 11:47am
Here's a good reference: https://motorsportsnewswire.com/2017/08/22/using-the-2018-yamaha-yz450f…

On the old, hand-held devices, you could advance or retard the timing and increase (richen) or reduce (lean) the fuel flow in several RPM ranges and throttle settings. Based on what I saw of the video above, it looks much the same with the app.

EDIT: On the old handheld device, it was possible to make your bike run poorly, but not enough to damage it. I would be very, very surprised if Yamaha made something that allowed you to wreck your bike.
MDana87
9/26/2018 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2018 12:03pm
As I understand it on the fuel side; every number is a 3% change. For example: a -1 setting is 3% less fuel, a +2 is 6% more fuel. On the ignition side; every number is 1 degree of timing change. For example: a -1 setting is 1 degree of ignition retard, a +2 would be 2 degree's of ignition advance.

I pick up my bike soon and I'm looking forward to getting a feel for the changes it can make to the feel of the bike; like does ignition adjustments have more of an impact than fuel or vise-versa.

My understanding is that while you can tune dramatically, you can't break the bike with the tuner.
9/26/2018 12:13pm
I can't answer for sure for the app, but I was lucky enough to attend the media presentation for the 2010 YZ450F (first year with the power tuner). Someone asked the question whether it was possible to damage the engine with the tuner. The engineer answered something like "can you tune a carburetor to the point of damaging the engine? this is the same thing".
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
9/26/2018 1:10pm
MDana87 wrote:
As I understand it on the fuel side; every number is a 3% change. For example: a -1 setting is 3% less fuel, a +2 is...
As I understand it on the fuel side; every number is a 3% change. For example: a -1 setting is 3% less fuel, a +2 is 6% more fuel. On the ignition side; every number is 1 degree of timing change. For example: a -1 setting is 1 degree of ignition retard, a +2 would be 2 degree's of ignition advance.

I pick up my bike soon and I'm looking forward to getting a feel for the changes it can make to the feel of the bike; like does ignition adjustments have more of an impact than fuel or vise-versa.

My understanding is that while you can tune dramatically, you can't break the bike with the tuner.
This is correct. And to answer the OPs question, fuel timing isn't changed, because in a port fuel injection application, timing just doesn't have that large of an effect.

The Shop

notevenclose
9/26/2018 1:21pm
Wow, really appreciate the answers! Makes a lot more sense now.

BTW, so far the best map that came with the tuner is the Hard Hitting(Loamy). To feel the difference, I suggest leaving the factory tune in Map1 and upload Hard Hitting(Loamy) into Map2. Then, hit the button after riding a few laps, you'll feel it!

Thanks!

pummel
Fantasy
370th
9/26/2018 1:31pm
My understanding is that you can't actually tune beyond where it would cause damage with the phone app.

Post a reply to: Yamaha Power Tuner app - anyone have instructions or understand what the numbers mean?

The Latest