High Volume Dealer Question

P
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2012 6:50am
Anyone ever purchased a bike from one of the high volume "discount" dealers? If so how was your experience? Also, if the dealership was in another state was it worth the drive?

P
|
huck
5/27/2009 1:19pm
I went to one with the intensions of buying...but soon left feeling that I was just a number. Same goes for car dealerships...

SteveS
5/27/2009 1:20pm
Back in 2004 we bought a YZ85 from Yamaha of Troy. It was a 10 hour drive, but it was worth it because:
1. We were driving though there anyway going to Gary Semics MX School and then up to Cedar Point.
2. We picked up an ex-YoT race YZ125 for cheap.
3. It was going to be at least a couple of months before any local shops had a YZ85.
4. It was $250 less than suggested retail when our local dealer wanted $200 over retail to put one on order.
tmart
5/27/2009 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2009 1:49pm
We drove from north of Indy about 6 or 7 hours south to Abernathy's and my buddy bought a new 2006 Honda CRF450 back in the spring of 2006. It was definately worth it besides the fact he saved about a grand we made 3 day riding week of it and hit some races on the way home. The bad part...he wadded up his new bike after about 30 mins of ride time over a triple....concussion, broke collar bone, coughing blood, and about another $1K in parts and his bike was back to new!!! HAHA...anytime you can make a riding weekend out of a trip to save money on a bike is worth it!!!!

In regards to the service at Abernathy's...its top notch...we showed up about an hour before they opened. We slept in the truck for a few hours in the parking lot! They let us in early to figure out all the paperwork, the bike was prepped perfectly...it was nice having that level of service even though it should be the standard!
MelonFan123
5/27/2009 2:11pm

not sure if they are still around after the economy and bike sales dip, but there used to be a "dealership" (i use that term loosely) in LA called LA Honda i think? They were basically a warehouse right by the port of Los Angeles and they would take bikes out of the crate and sell them cheap, usually at or below MSRP. No parts, accessories, or even many employees in the place. Just bikes, crates, and a desk for paperwork. They would just sell you the bike and that was it. I believe they later changed to carrying multi lines of bikes and changed the name to OTD Cycles (for "out the door") since all their price quotes were exactly what you would be paying. Finally a few years ago most local SoCal dealers got tired of being priced out and would match their online price quotes.

might be worth a try to see if your local dealer will match a quote by one of the major "big guys"?

The Shop

P
5/27/2009 2:20pm
Bump!

Thanks for the info. everyone.

tmart, I've been checking out Abernathy's prices. They are great, but that would be a nice little drive for me. I'm still thinking about it though.

Anyone know of any volume dealers near the NC area?

NC_MX_Kid, I've still got you on my radar!

P
TJ 755
5/27/2009 2:32pm
dude you been talkin' about getting a bike for years....I call bullshit.
tmart
5/28/2009 6:16am
P wrote:
Bump! Thanks for the info. everyone. tmart, I've been checking out Abernathy's prices. They are great, but that would be a nice little drive for me...
Bump!

Thanks for the info. everyone.

tmart, I've been checking out Abernathy's prices. They are great, but that would be a nice little drive for me. I'm still thinking about it though.

Anyone know of any volume dealers near the NC area?

NC_MX_Kid, I've still got you on my radar!

P
If you're coming from NC that would be a little further than we traveled about and extra hour or so. Make a weekend out of it and hit up Nashville...cool city...maybe even get lucky enough to see Dolly Parton's rack...Woohoo
P
5/28/2009 7:09am
TJ 755 wrote:
I already have a bike, just thinking about getting another.

P
Roorda085
4/11/2011 1:57pm
tmart wrote:
We drove from north of Indy about 6 or 7 hours south to Abernathy's and my buddy bought a new 2006 Honda CRF450 back in the...
We drove from north of Indy about 6 or 7 hours south to Abernathy's and my buddy bought a new 2006 Honda CRF450 back in the spring of 2006. It was definately worth it besides the fact he saved about a grand we made 3 day riding week of it and hit some races on the way home. The bad part...he wadded up his new bike after about 30 mins of ride time over a triple....concussion, broke collar bone, coughing blood, and about another $1K in parts and his bike was back to new!!! HAHA...anytime you can make a riding weekend out of a trip to save money on a bike is worth it!!!!

In regards to the service at Abernathy's...its top notch...we showed up about an hour before they opened. We slept in the truck for a few hours in the parking lot! They let us in early to figure out all the paperwork, the bike was prepped perfectly...it was nice having that level of service even though it should be the standard!
sounds like your buddy needs to learn how to ride....lol Did he also lose his brand new Fox Helmet out of the back of the truck?
powDIRT
4/11/2011 2:03pm
tmart wrote:
We drove from north of Indy about 6 or 7 hours south to Abernathy's and my buddy bought a new 2006 Honda CRF450 back in the...

Roorda085 wrote:
sounds like your buddy needs to learn how to ride....lol Did he also lose his brand new Fox Helmet out of the back of the truck?
You dug up a 2 year old thread for that comment?
Slow
4/11/2011 2:09pm
TJ 755 wrote:
P wrote:

P
So was it bullshit or did he buy a bike? 2 year old thread seems like we might get a answer.
huck
4/11/2011 2:10pm
Who the hell brings a thread up, from 2 years ago???
Highsider
4/11/2011 2:28pm
12-year old must have gotten out of school early.Unsure
Roorda085
4/11/2011 2:29pm
TJ 755 wrote:
P wrote:

P
Slow wrote:
So was it bullshit or did he buy a bike? 2 year old thread seems like we might get a answer.
I posted on it because I was the buddy that he was referring to that bought the bike.... We just found each other on vital but were good friends and rode together before I moved from Indiana to Texas. Just thought it was cool to find people online that you actually know and are friends with.

Post a reply to: High Volume Dealer Question

The Latest