Plastic Models

Anonymous (not verified)
Anyone else here into building plastic scale models? I no longer am, but went through a phase there for a bit where I was building them. One particular paint scheme just wore me out, and I have not been back since. I still have some on the shelf waiting to be built, but I just can't get into it. Perhaps when I retire next year. Also, I figured out after I started riding again - 4 years ago now - that every hobby I got into was merely a filler for my loss of motocross and riding. Here's a few I built along with some explanations. Finally, if you have any, please post them up. I'm OK at it, but there are guys that are REALLY good. Look up my friend Floyd Werner, for example. He has DVDs out that give tips and tricks. The more advanced techniques I learned, came from him.

The below is an FW-190 based on a real aircraft that was shot down by a B-17 over Hungary. This kit was super detailed, and came with an actual piece of metal from the aircraft. It was dug about 15 years ago.

The next aircraft is a P-47 Thunderbolt flown by Francis "Gabby" Gabreski of the 56th Fighter Group. He was America's leading ace in the European Theater. He crashed himself while strafing a German base. He flew so low, he actually hit the ground with his prop. The paint job on this aircraft is what finished me. I was so stressed out about getting it just right, that I found I wasn't having fun anymore.

For you modern jet lovers, here is a Super Hornet. This was a cheap kit my wife got me. It came out pretty well, but most pieces did not fit very well.

I got some more, but that's all I have time to post up right now. If you have them - don't be afraid to show them!

|
MR. X
6/16/2016 10:10am
I did as a kid ,nothing as good as those. I had a little oven around a light bulb made from tin foil to dry things faster because I'm inpatient and end up turning a hemi into a blob.
newmann
6/16/2016 10:11am
Attention to detail is amazing. Love it!
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
6/16/2016 10:37am
nice...those must have taken some time to complete.....

The Shop

6/16/2016 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2016 12:58pm
Thanks, guys.

Here is a long-nose FW-190. This aircraft with its colorful red/white bottom was used around the airfields to protect the ME-262 jets - which were at their most vulnerable when taking off and landing. Marauding Allied fighters specifically went looking to catch the jets landing and taking off. The colorful bottom was supposed to provide a huge clue to the flak gunners - also guarding the airfield - that "Hey, I'm on your side!" It was part of a unit called, JV-44, "Galland's Circus." Look them up some time.

The long-nose FW-190 was the equal of every Allied fighter. The problem was that by the time it became operational, many of Germany's best pilots were either dead or captured - or injured so badly they could no longer fly. Further, many of Germany's surviving great pilots were skimmed off for the jets. The jets were definitely too little, too late.

6/16/2016 1:00pm
Also meant to post up this pic of the Super Hornet when I did the initial post. I like this view, and it should give you some idea of how big the model is.

uk125250
6/16/2016 1:47pm
How do you display them? Do you have them hanging?
motogeezer
6/16/2016 2:07pm
Nice work!

I've built a few race cars, and have a couple partially complete on the shelf, and a couple I haven't started.

This one was broken by my cleaning lady and rebuilt:

This one I discovered in my garage about a year ago, neglected, broken and filthy:

I have since found most of the missing parts while cleaning out my catch-all area under the bench, and cleaned it up and fixed it as best I could.

I'll try to remember to post it up later, along with some of my in-progress stuff.

6/16/2016 3:55pm
uk125250 wrote:
How do you display them? Do you have them hanging?
Nice, geezer! Very detailed.

UK, they are on a bookshelf. At one time I had it in my mind to do a build on all WW2 Fighters, but as I noted above, it stopped being fun the further I went for detail. I may build again, but nothing smaller than 1/32. I can't see 1/48 and smaller anymore. Old eyes are wheezing! The very first model up top, the Fw-190, is 1/48, and it was the most challenging build I have done from a technical standpoint. That kit was $160 or so, but part of that charge was because it came with a piece of the actual aircraft it is modeled after. It also had a LOT of laser etched parts, and those are where you get the tiny details.
6/16/2016 3:59pm
dsmith wrote:
nice...those must have taken some time to complete.....
Lots of time! The paint process can be tedious to say the least.
ledger
6/16/2016 11:48pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2016 11:57pm
Nice builds HB and motogeezer. I've been building since I was a kid and picked the hobby back up when my wife was pregnant with our first child. I've never been able to just sit and do nothing, so I picked up the pace to learn all the little tricks of the trade. I built mostly stock car's, it's amazing how much time can be put into a model, I finally learned the art of flo paints but I can't tell you how many time's I had to strip it and start over. I remember how cool it was to take a tire and attach it to a drill and spin the tire on sandpaper to get the look as if the car came in for a pit stop. It's a great hobby and I've been wanting to purchase the 1/6 YZ250 kit made by Tamiya I think ? Anyway, your builds are outstanding, also love the weathered look of the FW-190.
vetmxr
6/17/2016 7:07pm
Very impressive........My ADHD would never allow that kind of attention to detail.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
6/17/2016 7:18pm
Harry,

Got some nice f-stop photos too!
JW381
6/18/2016 10:54am
Bitchin
APLMAN99
6/18/2016 11:36am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2016 11:50am
I couldn't begin to even try something with that attention to detail.

I really wanted to try to build a model aircraft to give to my best friend. His father was an AF pilot who flew with the Sky Blazers (just like the Thunderbirds but flew all over Europe). I had found that someone had made decal sheets for a lot of the Sky Blazers that had realistic markings based on the year of the assignment. I think they had 4 different sheets that represented his father's different assignments.

Tried getting my hands on one but the company that produced them isn't making them anymore so not sure where I'd look to even find one.

After looking again, there were only 2 sheets with his father's stuff on it. I doubt decals would come out anything close to as well as the work in this thread but the sentimental element of knowing that it was as close to a replica of what your father had flown would be awesome.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev4/3301-3400/rev3304-Twobobs-48…
6/18/2016 12:56pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I couldn't begin to even try something with that attention to detail. I really wanted to try to build a model aircraft to give to my...
I couldn't begin to even try something with that attention to detail.

I really wanted to try to build a model aircraft to give to my best friend. His father was an AF pilot who flew with the Sky Blazers (just like the Thunderbirds but flew all over Europe). I had found that someone had made decal sheets for a lot of the Sky Blazers that had realistic markings based on the year of the assignment. I think they had 4 different sheets that represented his father's different assignments.

Tried getting my hands on one but the company that produced them isn't making them anymore so not sure where I'd look to even find one.

After looking again, there were only 2 sheets with his father's stuff on it. I doubt decals would come out anything close to as well as the work in this thread but the sentimental element of knowing that it was as close to a replica of what your father had flown would be awesome.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev4/3301-3400/rev3304-Twobobs-48…
What we use now is something called Solvaset. After you apply the decal with water, you let it dry, then coat it with Solvaset. Basically, it melts the decal onto the model. It looks weird while melting and drying, but always ends up about perfect.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
6/18/2016 3:37pm
I so expected something different when I read the title.
Quite impressive also this type of plastic model.
In all seriousness, I am envious of your talents,
I have neither the artistic skill nor patience for that.
I live in a house full of artistic talent, I get laughed at all the time.
TM
SCR
6/18/2016 7:54pm

Had a box of old models I built about 20 years ago, some cool 1960s stock cars built from the basic street car model. Built custom roll cages, exhausts, blank out the head lights and stuff, use decal and number kits from the hobby store. Used to really enjoy it. This dragster was the only one I could find. Half the parts fell off before I could get a pic.

JM485
6/18/2016 7:57pm
I used to be really into building car models, learned a ton about paint and how to get a good finish as well as working with bondo. Most of mine are box stock, but a few of them have some little modifications to add my own personal touches. Here's a few of my projects.

Built this one for a contest that had to be completely from the box.

This one is essentially a 69 Camaro body over Corvette running gear, probably one of them that I am most proud of.

Tyrell F1, I think this is the only Tamiya kit I've built. Crazy detail in these kits, but it makes for a long project.

This is the only big scale I've built at 1:16. I opened the deck lid and custom made the trunk compartment, even has two scratch built bow and arrows back there. I also built the back seat, roll hoop, and engine compartment since this kit was essentially a re-boxed Nascar kit, so making it into a street car was a little challenging.

This one was also for a box-stock contest, so no custom work on this one.

Dodge Deora, my favorite concept car of all time. Not sure why I like it so much, but there's just something about it. The kit to me really doesn't capture the shape well, seems like it needs to be sectioned just a little. The kit also didn't have a front opening that operated correctly, so I modified it pretty extensively.

Jenson Button McLaren, lots of time into carbon fibre decals on this one.

I actually got this kit with a smashed in roof, so I decided to see that a station wagon/fastback Camaro would look like. Way too much body work into this one.

I have a few more but these were my major projects, I haven't built one in probably three or four years now but after going through my old pictures again I'm remembering how much I enjoyed building them. It's my dork side!Laughing
6/18/2016 9:59pm
Both of you guys, those came out great! Way to go! I like that Dodge concept car too. All are awesome!
SCR
6/19/2016 12:34am
Anyone ever build one of these? My Dad got me one when I was 11yrs old. I didn't have the patients yet to build it right so he stepped in and helped. Cool model and I learned a lot about how motors worked. Not easy to get it to run smooth as I remember.

My daughter built a couple stock car models with me when she was about 10. She was totally into it and wants me to build some models with my grandson when he is old enough. He just turned 1yr. I hope he is into that kind of stuff. I have my erector set from the 60s and my dad's erector set from the 30s to get him started. Also have a 1971 Yamaha 60 mini Enduro restore project ready to do with him. I'm going to do my best to make sure he can appreciate building things with his hands and learn how to use tools.

Anyway. The detail and paint finishes on your guys models is on another level. Impressive.
SCR
6/19/2016 12:37am
Anonymous wrote:
Anyone else here into building plastic scale models? I no longer am, but went through a phase there for a bit where I was building them...
Anyone else here into building plastic scale models? I no longer am, but went through a phase there for a bit where I was building them. One particular paint scheme just wore me out, and I have not been back since. I still have some on the shelf waiting to be built, but I just can't get into it. Perhaps when I retire next year. Also, I figured out after I started riding again - 4 years ago now - that every hobby I got into was merely a filler for my loss of motocross and riding. Here's a few I built along with some explanations. Finally, if you have any, please post them up. I'm OK at it, but there are guys that are REALLY good. Look up my friend Floyd Werner, for example. He has DVDs out that give tips and tricks. The more advanced techniques I learned, came from him.

The below is an FW-190 based on a real aircraft that was shot down by a B-17 over Hungary. This kit was super detailed, and came with an actual piece of metal from the aircraft. It was dug about 15 years ago.

The next aircraft is a P-47 Thunderbolt flown by Francis "Gabby" Gabreski of the 56th Fighter Group. He was America's leading ace in the European Theater. He crashed himself while strafing a German base. He flew so low, he actually hit the ground with his prop. The paint job on this aircraft is what finished me. I was so stressed out about getting it just right, that I found I wasn't having fun anymore.

For you modern jet lovers, here is a Super Hornet. This was a cheap kit my wife got me. It came out pretty well, but most pieces did not fit very well.

I got some more, but that's all I have time to post up right now. If you have them - don't be afraid to show them!

Shit. I wrote that whole post and forgot this picture of visible V8.

ocscottie
6/19/2016 10:37am
I did one of these Williams F1 cars back in the day, was the most detailed model i ever attempted, still have it in a box somewhere, it has the active suspension and everything.

6/19/2016 8:22pm
ocscottie wrote:
I did one of these Williams F1 cars back in the day, was the most detailed model i ever attempted, still have it in a box...
I did one of these Williams F1 cars back in the day, was the most detailed model i ever attempted, still have it in a box somewhere, it has the active suspension and everything.

What scale are those, Scottie?
6/19/2016 8:23pm
Anonymous wrote:
Anyone else here into building plastic scale models? I no longer am, but went through a phase there for a bit where I was building them...

SCR wrote:
Shit. I wrote that whole post and forgot this picture of visible V8.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/19/139933/s1200_IMG_6476.jpg[/img]
Shit. I wrote that whole post and forgot this picture of visible V8.

Never did, but that is very cool.
ocscottie
6/20/2016 4:45am
ocscottie wrote:
I did one of these Williams F1 cars back in the day, was the most detailed model i ever attempted, still have it in a box...

What scale are those, Scottie?
1/12th, it is the Tamyia kit.

Post a reply to: Plastic Models

The Latest