How good was Robbie Reynard...

Nutty C
9/21/2010 12:57pm
gt80rider wrote:
you on the professional bass fish'n tour or what?? LOL..... if you honestly believe that, it only shows how little you know.....
Nutty C wrote:
Just the facts. Got the whole late ninetees on tape and really he was not a championship factor. But you know how it goes one pigeon...
Just the facts. Got the whole late ninetees on tape and really he was not a championship factor.
But you know how it goes one pigeon tells another pigeon and the next thing you know he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Did he ever finish a season in the top ten in points.?
Did he ever finish a season ?
Just the hard facts over and out pigeon
MX4EVR wrote:
Nutt C = ----------------------------> No Pro AMA Lic, and will never have one. sob, sob. Robbie Reynard = Still youngest ever to win a AMA National...
Nutt C = ----------------------------> No Pro AMA Lic, and will never have one. sob, sob.

Robbie Reynard = Still youngest ever to win a AMA National MX Race
1ST Moto Was 2.5 Sec a lap faster than Ricky at dilla 98'
Only a few peeps EVER reeled in and Passed Ricky
98 World Supercross Champ
And now owns a sweet track here in OK and we all get to ride and hang out with him every weekend!
Who gets to polish his balls. You
9/21/2010 1:07pm
After watching those videos all I can think about is how much better today's top amateurs are than yesterday's top pros.
Adam43
9/21/2010 1:27pm
I think if Robbie had got himself in a better environment after his Factory Suzuki days in '99-00 things would have been different.

From what I recall, he basically chose to go it alone as a privateer from '01 on rather than go for a low-ball factory deal.

I know he was injury-plagued his whole career, but I don't think that was the whole story. In the end though, he has nothing to be ashamed of at all... he is one of just a few riders who was able to beat all the best guys of the era.

The Shop

GIwasB4
9/21/2010 1:27pm
Ron Lechien good.
When he was on, there was no one on the planet that could beat him.
Unfortunately for various reasons, as with RL, he was off more than on.
moto138
9/21/2010 1:30pm
adamdf wrote:
Watch 1:22 in to the video, that part is engraved in my memory since the video came out, always loved it [embed][/embed]
Watch 1:22 in to the video, that part is engraved in my memory since the video came out, always loved it

have you noticed that these old school guys have it figured out on how to go fast? standing up on the pegs,leading the bike with their face and body and doing all their braking while standing while the suspension is still settled,and when they sit down they are hard on the gas. instead of todays trend of sitting down to brake and letting the bike go where it wants to...lots of good old fashion back to basics riding technique displayed in this video..nice fundamentals..
Nutty C
9/21/2010 1:38pm
GIwasB4 wrote:
Ron Lechien good. When he was on, there was no one on the planet that could beat him. Unfortunately for various reasons, as with RL, he...
Ron Lechien good.
When he was on, there was no one on the planet that could beat him.
Unfortunately for various reasons, as with RL, he was off more than on.
Wow another old schooler that has the balls to tell it like it was.
Hanaa80
9/21/2010 1:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2010 1:42pm
After watching those videos all I can think about is how much better today's top amateurs are than yesterday's top pros.
You obviously meant to say how much better today's bikes are, right?
Racer92
9/21/2010 1:42pm
mccread wrote:
just watching a vid of him on pulpmx at pontiac.. one of the nicest, perfect riding styles ever..[url=http://www.pulpmx.com/videos/]http://www.pulpmx.com/videos/[/url]
just watching a vid of him on pulpmx at pontiac.. one of the nicest, perfect riding styles ever..http://www.pulpmx.com/videos/
X100

Just to watch him ride in person is cool as ever. Smoooooooooooooooooooth
9/21/2010 1:49pm
Hanaa80 wrote:
No. I know the bikes are better but the riders are too. It's the way progression works.
GIwasB4
9/21/2010 2:02pm
The bikes are so much better, they even the playing field for the guys that really didn't have the talent to run with the front runners to begin with. Wink
chrisbuehler
9/21/2010 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2010 2:11pm
Hanaa80 wrote:
No. I know the bikes are better but the riders are too. It's the way progression works.
X2. But back in the day they had to walk to the practice track uphill 5 miles and the bikes sucked blah,blah. HAHA!
Racer92
9/21/2010 2:25pm
GIwasB4 wrote:
The bikes are so much better, they even the playing field for the guys that really didn't have the talent to run with the front runners...
The bikes are so much better, they even the playing field for the guys that really didn't have the talent to run with the front runners to begin with. Wink
Put Buckwheat or Magoo in their prime on a Goose tuned RM-Z450 and youd see what haulin' ass really means.
GIwasB4
9/21/2010 2:32pm
Or a GOAT, nevermind, that already happened.
Was that not "2" undefeated seasons, 1 on a 2 and 1 on a 4?
adamdf
9/21/2010 2:33pm
txmxer wrote:
Great find, man do i wish they were still racing 2 strokes, such a different style of racing. DV was looking great the way he was tossing that bike around, can't ride modern 4s that way
lostboy819
Fantasy
1212th
9/21/2010 2:52pm
If i remember he had a big problem with arm pump, even if you are in great shape it can pop up and hurt your results.
mccread
9/21/2010 3:09pm
txmxer wrote:
adamdf wrote:
Great find, man do i wish they were still racing 2 strokes, such a different style of racing. DV was looking great the way he was...
Great find, man do i wish they were still racing 2 strokes, such a different style of racing. DV was looking great the way he was tossing that bike around, can't ride modern 4s that way
That video summed up Robbie's career almost.. speed and talent.. he had it no doubt.. mentally and injuries and arm pump held him back.

On a side note how much better was the coverage then?! 100 x better imo
Sunhouse
9/21/2010 3:36pm
txmxer wrote:
adamdf wrote:
Great find, man do i wish they were still racing 2 strokes, such a different style of racing. DV was looking great the way he was...
mccread wrote:
That video summed up Robbie's career almost.. speed and talent.. he had it no doubt.. mentally and injuries and arm pump held him back. On a...
That video summed up Robbie's career almost.. speed and talent.. he had it no doubt.. mentally and injuries and arm pump held him back.

check out the scrubbing DV did at 4:22, in the year 2 BB (Before Bubba)
Matthes
9/21/2010 3:46pm
mccread wrote:
just watching a vid of him on pulpmx at pontiac.. one of the nicest, perfect riding styles ever..[url=http://www.pulpmx.com/videos/]http://www.pulpmx.com/videos/[/url]
just watching a vid of him on pulpmx at pontiac.. one of the nicest, perfect riding styles ever..http://www.pulpmx.com/videos/
Thanks for watching those Pulpmx Classic Commentaries! They're a bunch of work but pretty cool insight from some dudes that were around back then.
disbanded
Fantasy
1604th
9/21/2010 3:47pm
Sunhouse wrote:
check out the scrubbing DV did at 4:22, in the year 2 BB (Before Bubba)
McGrath invented 'keeping it low'. Bubba just took it to the next level.
9/21/2010 3:52pm
GIwasB4 wrote:
The bikes are so much better, they even the playing field for the guys that really didn't have the talent to run with the front runners...
Racer92 wrote:
Put Buckwheat or Magoo in their prime on a Goose tuned RM-Z450 and youd see what haulin' ass really means.
Yeah it'd be wild until they got to a double and didn't know what to do with it.

Cianciarulo on a supermini would beat in-his-prime Steve Lamson on a 125.
txmxer
9/21/2010 4:02pm
txmxer wrote:
adamdf wrote:
mccread wrote:
That video summed up Robbie's career almost.. speed and talent.. he had it no doubt.. mentally and injuries and arm pump held him back. On a...

RRSis was telling me about that time period. It wasn't just arm pump, it was injury related. He was had a lot of nerve damage that he was lucky to have overcome to even be back on the bike...

She would have to give the exact details, but it's pretty amazing that he was even out there.
DanDunes818
9/21/2010 4:05pm
I didn't read any responses so sorry if I repeat something everyone else has said. 1st off I'm a huge RR fan. Robbie was unreal (still is really) on two wheels. If he didn't get hurt allot he literally could of been one of the greats. He was won of (if not the most at the time) decorated amateurs of all time. Smooth as silk. I don't think I've ever seen anyone go faster on a 125 than Robbie did at Unadilla in 98. Robbie is one of the only men alive to go to sleep at night knowing he reeled in the goat from way back and went by him like he was standing still. I'm sure Robbie replays that day in his head far more than he'll admit to.

I"ve watched the race here http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Video-Screening-Room,29/1998-Unadilla-125cc-RC-vs-Robbie-Reynard,996732 probably 10xs since it was posted.
DanDunes818
9/21/2010 4:09pm
Adam43 wrote:
I think if Robbie had got himself in a better environment after his Factory Suzuki days in '99-00 things would have been different. From what I...
I think if Robbie had got himself in a better environment after his Factory Suzuki days in '99-00 things would have been different.

From what I recall, he basically chose to go it alone as a privateer from '01 on rather than go for a low-ball factory deal.

I know he was injury-plagued his whole career, but I don't think that was the whole story. In the end though, he has nothing to be ashamed of at all... he is one of just a few riders who was able to beat all the best guys of the era.
Yes Adam IMO things would of been way different. I'm sure he thinks so to. He should of bitten the bullet and taken that deal IMO. If I remember right they offered him 100k and he said it was an insult. I wish I could get an insult like that. When people insult my ass the insult usually doesn't include 6 figures , a bonus package and factory bikes.
Kinetic1
9/21/2010 4:12pm
Yeah it'd be wild until they got to a double and didn't know what to do with it. Cianciarulo on a supermini would beat in-his-prime Steve...
Yeah it'd be wild until they got to a double and didn't know what to do with it.

Cianciarulo on a supermini would beat in-his-prime Steve Lamson on a 125.
I don't think I'd go that far. Yes the kids are faster than what they used to be, but lets not be stupid okay.
Sondy132001
9/21/2010 4:14pm
disbanded wrote:
McGrath invented 'keeping it low'. Bubba just took it to the next level.
Oh don't make me beat you...

munsch121
9/21/2010 4:31pm
here are some vids of RR in god mode.....

kawirider819
9/21/2010 4:38pm
soren346 wrote:
Still beats Trey Canard when they practice. The Trey Canard that just won a MX national championship. I LOVED watching Reynard ride.
Have you really seen this? I kinda find it hard to believe...just saying

Post a reply to: How good was Robbie Reynard...

The Latest