The Vital Joke & Problem

Anonymous (not verified)
Edited Date/Time 4/29/2017 3:36pm
The joke seems to be a lot of new posters come by and say something inflammatory and almost always end their jab at Vital with something like, "Everyone in the industry thinks Vital is a joke" or some sort of similar statement.

If Vital is such a joke, why is everyone in the industry reading here? It is fairly obvious that is the case. I have made some really good friends here, and do not see Vital as a joke. Michael does some great testing, Gibby takes some great pictures and there is plenty of good content from various and sundry contributors.

The problem is the trolls saying such things. Is there a way to control them? Should Vital throttle new users with some sort of "YOUR FIRST FIVE POSTS MUST BE APPROVED BY A VITAL MODERATOR"?

Please offer your solutions.
|
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
4/28/2017 2:08pm
I don't know how many mods are on here but adding some would improve the situation.
kkawboy14
4/28/2017 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2017 2:13pm
Industry guys are the ones doing the drive by shootings in here because they are bored!
kkawboy14
4/28/2017 2:13pm
One things for sure, I hate living in a deed restricted neighborhood!
TMessi111
4/28/2017 2:18pm
I was new not that long ago and to me it shouldn't be that hard to get in where you fit in. Some people agree with you and some don't. It's really not that complicated. I usually don't post things that I write emotionally without reading through it a few times and make sure I want to say that. A lot of times it ends up erased and I never comment on it. Not saying I always post something worthwhile but I do at least try to make sure what I'm saying is worth saying. That being said it's hard to expect everyone to think in a normal manor. I don't think there's any way to change common opinion of something, especially one that is so widely believed. To me before I found Vital I was always wondering about certain situations that no one else I know was talking about and now I have a place to do discuss it. Yes there are stupid people on here, some may say I am one, but there's nothing that can be done that isn't already being done. Your idea about approved posts may work but would require someone to constantly pick through garbage new user posts. I appreciate the site not just the forum. This is the first place I check for anything moto regardless of the rep that those ignorant to the fact have given it.

The Shop

kiwifan
4/28/2017 2:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2017 2:21pm
Its way of the world now, when you have beef you create another false name to abuse those who dont agree with you....its pretty rediculous, keyboard warriors and all that shit

Edit: oh and I dont think there is a smoking gun answer to the problem
Acidreamer
4/28/2017 2:20pm
If i was a pro i would troll the shit out of this place. I still believe js7 was the culprit of the drone spying
MotoX85
4/28/2017 2:20pm
They have to approve the account so they are already approving their posts. Plus they can see when they are duplicate accounts.

Vital is not necessarily a joke, I like to take a peek every once in a while, but I think people mean that there are a lot of posers (no different than other sites) mixed in.

But I will say this. We race/ride every weekend, from Minnesota to Florida to Oklahoma to Ohio. Been in the sport for 40 plus years, know a LOT of people at the track

Only know about 12 or 15 of those people are on Vital.

So about 97% of MY motorcycle community does not post here, hence Vital is sometimes not in touch with what is actually going on.

If you read it as entertainment, I think it's great. If you think what's posted here is actually the heartbeat of the sport, then you your off a little
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
4/28/2017 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2017 2:42pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
I don't know how many mods are on here but adding some would improve the situation.
You can put all the mods on a forum you want.
But it just becomes a game to the sock-puppet ,there's actually other ways to dealing with them.
I've gotten my fair share of them over the years on many forums. Smile

To the OP...
As for the sign-up process, sms verification is the ticket these days (scripts that dont accept google voice numbers etc..).
Make them give a number that sends them a text they have to reply to with an activation code.
However it doesn't fully stop them if they pay for a verification service.
But if they did pay for one then they'd be wasting their money to troll (which to me that even makes them bigger jackasses).
It could also be setup to make them verify again after a certain amount of posts to verify it's their number and not a verification service.
But yeah, email verification is sorta a thing of the past.
So easy to make tons of emails etc...
Sms or even a call is the new standard.

Even trying to filter ip's is sorta silly these days...most can restart their phone(wifi not enabled) and have a new ip from their mobile provider or use proxies and there's tons of VPN services out there ,using public wifi spots etc...
It's one reason why image canvasing has become big and also tracking and filtering user agents.

BMSOBx2
4/28/2017 2:25pm
There will always be trolls. Nothing you can do about that. If they can't hang with the posting rules it will make itself known soon enough. You want to screen everyone for compatability? I think not. Be boring if we were all the same.
mxb2
4/28/2017 2:36pm
Acidreamer wrote:
If i was a pro i would troll the shit out of this place. I still believe js7 was the culprit of the drone spying
Why?, Any grown person who comes on the internet trolling for attention is weird. Get a hobby,spouse go do something. Do you really need attention that bad to troll on social media. People that troll have deeper issues than the internet.
RbR
4/28/2017 2:39pm
"Everyone in the industry thinks Vital is a joke" -- fake news
4/28/2017 2:55pm
Acidreamer wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Why?, Any grown person who comes on the internet trolling for attention is weird. Get a hobby,spouse go do something. Do you really need attention that...
Why?, Any grown person who comes on the internet trolling for attention is weird. Get a hobby,spouse go do something. Do you really need attention that bad to troll on social media. People that troll have deeper issues than the internet.
x2
Super weird folks. Deeply flawed. Mommy and/or Daddy issues maybe.
Hopefully they find the cure for whats ailing them.
HenryA
4/28/2017 3:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2017 3:18pm
Really weird...it's almost like they have a screw loose..............Whistling
rmoto003
4/28/2017 3:13pm
HenryA wrote:
Some might even say a bolt or two
4/28/2017 3:22pm
I'd be happy to see the ones who just go through topics just to shit on posts be gone. It's so tiring mentally to be sharing information only to have some jackass come in to prove how much he knows by making a dumb ass comment.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
4/28/2017 3:26pm
If it's really a problem then the solution is, require a member sponsor that will be penalized if within first 25 or (insert #) posts the newbie is an ass hat.
Having said that, my personal goal is to try and debate a point/topic with something that's adds to thread. Not attack the person posting an opinion.
TM
wanglimp
4/28/2017 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2017 3:33pm
I would just like the ability to block someone from posting on my threads. That JBMX loser hijacked my thread and now it's in the dumbgeon. Not that my thread was super awesome or anything but, if I could have muted that clown in the thread I started, it wouldn't have gone off the rails. Give the power to the people!

I also see serious downfalls to the thing I just proposed, fyi.

Still an idea though.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
4/28/2017 3:42pm
MotoX85 wrote:
They have to approve the account so they are already approving their posts. Plus they can see when they are duplicate accounts. Vital is not necessarily...
They have to approve the account so they are already approving their posts. Plus they can see when they are duplicate accounts.

Vital is not necessarily a joke, I like to take a peek every once in a while, but I think people mean that there are a lot of posers (no different than other sites) mixed in.

But I will say this. We race/ride every weekend, from Minnesota to Florida to Oklahoma to Ohio. Been in the sport for 40 plus years, know a LOT of people at the track

Only know about 12 or 15 of those people are on Vital.

So about 97% of MY motorcycle community does not post here, hence Vital is sometimes not in touch with what is actually going on.

If you read it as entertainment, I think it's great. If you think what's posted here is actually the heartbeat of the sport, then you your off a little
We don't manually approve accounts...too many to keep up with...and sometimes it takes a little digging to find what duplicate account matches which prior account.
4/28/2017 3:49pm
Some interesting thoughts and and replies, moto bros.

I think the the thing for me was that Vital had become a bit more warm and welcoming. A bit more fun. Then a clown shows up and tells all of us we're the laughingstock of an industry we all love. I don't believe that, but I thought it would be helpful to explore. Even if Vital is...does it truly matter? I've made some good friends here. Is anything more important?
slipdog
4/28/2017 3:50pm
I was elected Barrett Jr. High class clown, got my picture in the yearbook and everything....
level
4/28/2017 3:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2017 3:54pm
I have never heard that vital is a joke. We bench race and say stupid shit and stir up gossip but it's fun. It's not meant to be taken seriously most the time. Adding more mods is bad. It should be as open and free as possible. It's a forum. The only issue I really have with vital is the mods deciding what they think is interesting rather than the members deciding.
4/28/2017 3:57pm
slipdog wrote:
I was elected Barrett Jr. High class clown, got my picture in the yearbook and everything....
Then you got a CR80 and kicked their collective butts! No more laughing.
TeamGreen
4/28/2017 3:59pm
slipdog wrote:
Most likely to NOT turn his gas on, too!
4/28/2017 4:04pm
level wrote:
I have never heard that vital is a joke. We bench race and say stupid shit and stir up gossip but it's fun. It's not meant...
I have never heard that vital is a joke. We bench race and say stupid shit and stir up gossip but it's fun. It's not meant to be taken seriously most the time. Adding more mods is bad. It should be as open and free as possible. It's a forum. The only issue I really have with vital is the mods deciding what they think is interesting rather than the members deciding.
Really Lev? Seems like once a month someone signs up just to mention Vital is an industry laughingstock. What is so hilarious about that is how many people stop by to say it. I think the big secret is that we all are taken quite seriously and for some reason some folks want us to think otherwise.

The proof is in the pudding. Think of how many times a member has come here and posted about a problem with a bike...motor...suspension - and somebody with power to make a difference signs in and offers to make it right. Happens a lot here.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
4/28/2017 4:10pm
HenryA wrote:
rmoto003 wrote:
Some might even say a bolt or two
Sprocket bolts?
slipdog
4/28/2017 4:15pm
slipdog wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Most likely to NOT turn his gas on, too!
WOW!

That cuts deep, Bro!
Katoomey
4/28/2017 4:54pm
ML512 wrote:
We don't manually approve accounts...too many to keep up with...and sometimes it takes a little digging to find what duplicate account matches which prior account.
the JP guy you clicked earlier today was back 10 minutes later...defending his other self no less.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
4/28/2017 5:00pm
Katoomey wrote:
the JP guy you clicked earlier today was back 10 minutes later...defending his other self no less.
JB hasn't gotten back on today according to my end. There's been four accounts made since he got canned, none of which are him.
4/28/2017 5:02pm
Katoomey wrote:
ML512 wrote:
JB hasn't gotten back on today according to my end. There's been four accounts made since he got canned, none of which are him.
ML, did you give Jeffbro the boot?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
4/28/2017 5:04pm
ML, did you give Jeffbro the boot?
Jeffro is in timeout.

Post a reply to: The Vital Joke & Problem

The Latest