Metty‏ comes clean on the crash - RX Interview

David Izer
Posts
1459
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
Edited Date/Time 11/2/2012 12:23pm
RACER X - Metty


A lot of times when a rider gets hurt due to a bike problem like this, the team has some sympathy and maybe offers the rider a deal for the next year—I know Andrew Short was hurt last year testing KTMs, and he could have come back to the team if he had wanted. So how did this impact your negotiations with the team?

Well, it changed a lot of things. For one, it changed my season because I wasn't able to race, so that hurt my chances to re-sign with Suzuki, or if they weren't interested, it hurt my chances of signing with another team. As far as Suzuki, I've tried to keep this as professional as I could, and that's why I haven't discussed this incident publicly until now. And when they asked for the bike back, I scrubbed it up as best as I could and returned it to them. Nothing was said since the crash, nothing has been said about what happened with the tank. So far my contract is expired and I haven't heard a word from them.
|
323racer
Posts
46
Joined
10/21/2010
Location
Piqua, OH, USA
10/31/2012 7:21am
Bum deal for such a good guy, hope he comes back strong for the outdoors
LLOYD22
Posts
603
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Scranton, IA, USA
10/31/2012 7:29am
so what is suzuki gunna do when stewart crashes out at round 3? not have a rider at all?
mtl
Posts
1244
Joined
9/26/2011
Location
USA
10/31/2012 7:30am
Wow.

Eff Suzuki.
10/31/2012 7:32am
That sucks. I understand budget limitations and certainly having Bubba on the payroll can't leave much room for anyone else, but geez, at least give the guy a "thank you for your service" phone call. It's simple professionalism and courtesy.

This sport can be very cruel sometimes.

The Shop

jndmx
Posts
9699
Joined
1/20/2008
Location
South Kingston, RI, USA
10/31/2012 7:34am
Unfortunately in this business you're only as good as your last race.

Bummer deal for Metty, the guy has worked his ass off over the years.
OriolMassot
Posts
516
Joined
12/27/2010
Location
We speak Catalan, AD
10/31/2012 7:38am
A very hard worker, but, from my point of view, not a contender for any championship. Maybe outdoors and with the top riders injured, he could land a second or third place.

Since Roger left Suzuki, seems that they forgot how to be professionals, and yes, it will be funny when Bubba will be injured and Suzuki won't show up in the races.

There are no Suzuki supported teams, right? I mean, BTO signed with KTM and Motoconcepts doesn't show any Suzuki logo on their bikes, right?
IWreckALot
Posts
8677
Joined
3/12/2011
Location
Fort Worth, TX, USA
10/31/2012 7:53am
Does the mechanic still have his job?
MT MX
Posts
1550
Joined
3/5/2011
Location
Great Falls, MT, USA
10/31/2012 7:59am
IWreckALot wrote:
Does the mechanic still have his job?
I've been biting my tongue, but have thought the same thing! If he wants to find out the problem start from the beginning.
I really like Metty, but it just makes me think 'Well, now you know how Mitch felt after jumping ship to Geico'.
OriolMassot
Posts
516
Joined
12/27/2010
Location
We speak Catalan, AD
10/31/2012 8:00am
He said it wasn't his practice mechanic. I understand him, Metty has had too many bike issues! Can't imagine how scary has to be to lock up your engine while flying over a table top...!!!

At least he got a rider with Valli Yamaha! We haven't seen him in blue since his old days at Yamaha of Troy!

Hope he will have a bright outdoors season!
Sandberm
Posts
5845
Joined
3/27/2009
Location
Pasco, WA, USA
10/31/2012 8:04am
Great interview!

-pissed at Suzuki, at 28 its ok to burn a bridge or two
-no plans for retirement anytime soon at 28
-Wife cranky while pregnant

Hes in full bittermen mode. He should duct tape a stock Suzuki tank to his workout rooms wall for added motivation.
davistld01
Posts
9350
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Springfield, MO, USA
10/31/2012 8:08am
He said it wasn't his practice mechanic. I understand him, Metty has had too many bike issues! Can't imagine how scary has to be to lock...
He said it wasn't his practice mechanic. I understand him, Metty has had too many bike issues! Can't imagine how scary has to be to lock up your engine while flying over a table top...!!!

At least he got a rider with Valli Yamaha! We haven't seen him in blue since his old days at Yamaha of Troy!

Hope he will have a bright outdoors season!
He's on Valli's Yamaha team for 2013? I guess that would mean 450's & would mean SX and Outdoors too?

Good for Metty. He's a super hard worker, and has been since he came to the States. Not everybody can be a Chad Reed!

Suzuki should have at least considered that he pretty much kept the yellow bike and the team out of the dark after Dungey's move, and after all Dungey's mechanicals!
10/31/2012 8:12am
A very hard worker, but, from my point of view, not a contender for any championship. Maybe outdoors and with the top riders injured, he could...
A very hard worker, but, from my point of view, not a contender for any championship. Maybe outdoors and with the top riders injured, he could land a second or third place.

Since Roger left Suzuki, seems that they forgot how to be professionals, and yes, it will be funny when Bubba will be injured and Suzuki won't show up in the races.

There are no Suzuki supported teams, right? I mean, BTO signed with KTM and Motoconcepts doesn't show any Suzuki logo on their bikes, right?
Isn't RCH now a Suzuki supported team? Bummer for Metty for sure.
MT MX
Posts
1550
Joined
3/5/2011
Location
Great Falls, MT, USA
10/31/2012 8:13am
He said it wasn't his practice mechanic. I understand him, Metty has had too many bike issues! Can't imagine how scary has to be to lock...
He said it wasn't his practice mechanic. I understand him, Metty has had too many bike issues! Can't imagine how scary has to be to lock up your engine while flying over a table top...!!!

At least he got a rider with Valli Yamaha! We haven't seen him in blue since his old days at Yamaha of Troy!

Hope he will have a bright outdoors season!
He said it was A practice mechanic that had credentials. So, Brett was ultimately comfortable working with him.
Also, his engine locked up when he was on the Geico Honda. He didn't ride Suzuki until 2011.
OriolMassot
Posts
516
Joined
12/27/2010
Location
We speak Catalan, AD
10/31/2012 8:22am
He said it wasn't his practice mechanic. I understand him, Metty has had too many bike issues! Can't imagine how scary has to be to lock...
He said it wasn't his practice mechanic. I understand him, Metty has had too many bike issues! Can't imagine how scary has to be to lock up your engine while flying over a table top...!!!

At least he got a rider with Valli Yamaha! We haven't seen him in blue since his old days at Yamaha of Troy!

Hope he will have a bright outdoors season!
davistld01 wrote:
He's on Valli's Yamaha team for 2013? I guess that would mean 450's & would mean SX and Outdoors too? Good for Metty. He's a super...
He's on Valli's Yamaha team for 2013? I guess that would mean 450's & would mean SX and Outdoors too?

Good for Metty. He's a super hard worker, and has been since he came to the States. Not everybody can be a Chad Reed!

Suzuki should have at least considered that he pretty much kept the yellow bike and the team out of the dark after Dungey's move, and after all Dungey's mechanicals!
Nothing oficial he says in the interview. Would be a good signing for Valli.
OriolMassot
Posts
516
Joined
12/27/2010
Location
We speak Catalan, AD
10/31/2012 8:23am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Isn't RCH now a Suzuki supported team? Bummer for Metty for sure.
True!

Is there any other Suzuki supported team this year?
OriolMassot
Posts
516
Joined
12/27/2010
Location
We speak Catalan, AD
10/31/2012 8:27am
He said it wasn't his practice mechanic. I understand him, Metty has had too many bike issues! Can't imagine how scary has to be to lock...
He said it wasn't his practice mechanic. I understand him, Metty has had too many bike issues! Can't imagine how scary has to be to lock up your engine while flying over a table top...!!!

At least he got a rider with Valli Yamaha! We haven't seen him in blue since his old days at Yamaha of Troy!

Hope he will have a bright outdoors season!
MT MX wrote:
He said it was A practice mechanic that had credentials. So, Brett was ultimately comfortable working with him. Also, his engine locked up when he was...
He said it was A practice mechanic that had credentials. So, Brett was ultimately comfortable working with him.
Also, his engine locked up when he was on the Geico Honda. He didn't ride Suzuki until 2011.
I never said he locked up his engine when he was on the Suzuki. In fact, we analyzed Metty's past on the four other brands in this post:

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/How-many-riders-can-you-n…
10/31/2012 8:32am
True!

Is there any other Suzuki supported team this year?
Millsaps , is it Rockstar?
OriolMassot
Posts
516
Joined
12/27/2010
Location
We speak Catalan, AD
10/31/2012 8:41am
True!

Is there any other Suzuki supported team this year?
Millsaps , is it Rockstar?
Hahah!
It must be this cold outside that doesn't make me remember!

So, then, it's:

Yoshimura Suzuki: James Stewart
Rockstar Suzuki: Davi Millsaps
H&H Suzuki: Broc Tickle

Anyone else?
mivers176
Posts
110
Joined
11/25/2008
Location
Harrison, OH, USA
10/31/2012 8:47am
Surely this will prompt some statement from Suzuki. If they indeed put the wrong tank on the bike, what a bum deal and freak accident.
Trauma
Posts
557
Joined
1/19/2010
Location
Victoria, AU
10/31/2012 8:49am
Stay classy Suzuki.
Switch
Posts
1419
Joined
9/17/2010
Location
USA
10/31/2012 9:06am
True!

Is there any other Suzuki supported team this year?
Millsaps , is it Rockstar?
Hahah! It must be this cold outside that doesn't make me remember! So, then, it's: Yoshimura Suzuki: James Stewart Rockstar Suzuki: Davi Millsaps H&H Suzuki: Broc...
Hahah!
It must be this cold outside that doesn't make me remember!

So, then, it's:

Yoshimura Suzuki: James Stewart
Rockstar Suzuki: Davi Millsaps
H&H Suzuki: Broc Tickle

Anyone else?
Izzi
davistld01
Posts
9350
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Springfield, MO, USA
10/31/2012 9:12am


TwoTwo? I'd say more like DoubleDDoubleD!

Congrats, Reedy! Smile
10/31/2012 9:15am Edited Date/Time 10/31/2012 9:16am
True!

Is there any other Suzuki supported team this year?
Millsaps , is it Rockstar?
Hahah! It must be this cold outside that doesn't make me remember! So, then, it's: Yoshimura Suzuki: James Stewart Rockstar Suzuki: Davi Millsaps H&H Suzuki: Broc...
Hahah!
It must be this cold outside that doesn't make me remember!

So, then, it's:

Yoshimura Suzuki: James Stewart
Rockstar Suzuki: Davi Millsaps
H&H Suzuki: Broc Tickle

Anyone else?
RCH for Tickle, not H+H - play nice now lol



BS what happened to Metty end of story
premixwhip491
Posts
141
Joined
9/6/2012
Location
San Marcos, TX, USA
10/31/2012 11:51am
What other kind of bizzare luck is there to bite him? Good interview, awesome dude. Hopefully the Valli deal will workout for him. He may not be in contention for wins every week but his work ethic makes him a team's dream.
lucero10x
Posts
1624
Joined
9/25/2009
Location
Las Vegas, NV, USA
10/31/2012 12:13pm
bummer.
paul937
Posts
390
Joined
6/19/2009
Location
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Fantasy
10/31/2012 12:24pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Does the mechanic still have his job?
MT MX wrote:
I've been biting my tongue, but have thought the same thing! If he wants to find out the problem start from the beginning. I really like...
I've been biting my tongue, but have thought the same thing! If he wants to find out the problem start from the beginning.
I really like Metty, but it just makes me think 'Well, now you know how Mitch felt after jumping ship to Geico'.
WOW dude. That's pretty harsh and not even CLOSE to the same scenario.

If you knew Metty at all (which admittedly you don't) you'd know just how far off base that statement was.

Paul
Matt Wozney
Posts
2803
Joined
8/26/2006
Location
Clayton, DE, USA
10/31/2012 12:28pm
Bummer deal for Metty. If there was ever a nice guy award in the pits for a rider, he would be up there for that.
burnside
Posts
4096
Joined
6/17/2009
Location
London, USA
10/31/2012 12:39pm
What happened with the tank exactly?
10/31/2012 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2012 12:44pm
burnside wrote:
What happened with the tank exactly?
There was actually the wrong fuel tank on the bike, or if it was meant to be there, they never told me. At the time of the crash, I had it running through my head, ‘How the heck did this just happen?’ At the time I trusted in the team and they indicated to me that I would never run out—after Dungey ran out in 2011 and that would never happen again. It was frustrating. Once I had the surgery and got out of the hospital, I was looking over the bike and realized it had a stock tank. And stock tanks, they don't have enough capacity to run the full factory engine and our different mapping. That was the reason for the crash; the incorrect fuel tank was put on the bike.

How does that happen?
From my perspective, I would hope it was just an accident, but things like that aren't supposed to happen on factory teams. I haven't had any communication from them at all about it. I haven't gotten the bottom line on it and I probably won't get an answer. It was just unfortunate on my end to be on the short end of it. To my knowledge they have three fuel tanks, the stock one they had on my bike that day, the factory tank that's about a liter bigger, then a carbon fiber one that got made up after Dunge ran out last year while using the factory tank. We used the carbon one for racing and the factory tank for practice, but unfortunately on this day they didn't have either one on there.

- RacerX Insight
Asher
Posts
287
Joined
2/27/2010
Location
GB
10/31/2012 12:45pm
i remember izzi saying he when he broke both his feet he didn't get a visit from them while he was in hospital

maybe they're just assholes

Post a reply to: Metty‏ comes clean on the crash - RX Interview

The Latest