I'm in a predicament...

Junebug833
Edited Date/Time 5/6/2015 1:28pm
I have a 13 kx450 and I think it might be too much for me (no I'm not ashamed to say it). I have a really hard time holding on to the thing after about 5 laps but I am physically not tired just arm pump like crazy. I kind of feel like I'm fighting it sometimes to keep it under control. I'm coming off of 4 year break from riding and the bike I had before it was an 06 crf250r. I bought my kx brand new in July of 2013 and it's a freshie still. I'm considering switching back to a Honda as I felt way more comfortable and could actually ride a Honda 450 instead of the bike riding me. What are your guys opinions?
|
5/5/2015 10:26am
Change the character of the motor ? Some engine / ignition mods to make it more tame and rider friendly? Idk otherwise i would go back to the Honda if you feel its more comfortable. Why feel ashame, a 450 kawi is powerful.
hillbilly
5/5/2015 10:30am
I've had trouble with armpump from time to time. Evertime I got a new bike for sure till trust and its manners were learned.

Gripping to tight was my reason and I had to force myself to flex my fingers while in the air.

Always hated new bikes. Once setup and trust was there then it would go away.
Junebug833
5/5/2015 10:34am
Change the character of the motor ? Some engine / ignition mods to make it more tame and rider friendly? Idk otherwise i would go back...
Change the character of the motor ? Some engine / ignition mods to make it more tame and rider friendly? Idk otherwise i would go back to the Honda if you feel its more comfortable. Why feel ashame, a 450 kawi is powerful.
I've thought about doing that but I was also thinking do I really want to keep putting money into something that I still don't know if I will like? I already put a bunch of money into it in cooling parts because it was getting really hot. But I wish I could get someone's opinion that's just an average joe moto that has ridden both. You know what I mean?
huck
5/5/2015 10:35am
Change the character of the motor ? Some engine / ignition mods to make it more tame and rider friendly? Idk otherwise i would go back...
Junebug833 wrote:
I've thought about doing that but I was also thinking do I really want to keep putting money into something that I still don't know if...
I've thought about doing that but I was also thinking do I really want to keep putting money into something that I still don't know if I will like? I already put a bunch of money into it in cooling parts because it was getting really hot. But I wish I could get someone's opinion that's just an average joe moto that has ridden both. You know what I mean?
I'll trade you for a 2007 CRF450. Wink

The Shop

Junebug833
5/5/2015 10:36am
Junebug833 wrote:
I've thought about doing that but I was also thinking do I really want to keep putting money into something that I still don't know if...
huck wrote:
I'll trade you for a 2007 CRF450. Wink
My dad has one of those!
5/5/2015 10:38am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2015 10:59am
Budget solution might be tightening your triple clamps if they aren't already tight. I have mine so I can position the bars in any position whilst on the stand without the front end going to full lock on It's own.
Make sure your levers are in a user friendly position. Whilst in the attack position, your arms and wrists should be straight (from elbows to knuckles). If your wrists are bent it won't help blood flow.
Pro-Taper "Pillow Top" grips helped a bit as well. Before trying them I always used the thinnest grips I could find, didn't expect to like the Pillow Tops but I do, having long fingers might help though, the people I know with short fingers hate them.

I have such a relaxed grip these days I don't wire, glue or use anything on my grips. Doesn't even bother me when they get water under them. I have a mate who goes through a set of grips every ride.

Factory Honda mechanic actually gave me that advice. It did help but learning to relax and breath helped the most. As does riding your own race, staying calm and not getting sucked into someone else's race. Focus on line choice and try to stay out of the rough stuff.
Eat well and drink plenty of water for the few days leading up to a ride.
Junebug833
5/5/2015 10:42am
#991 wrote:
Budget solution might be tightening your triple clamps if they aren't already tight. I have mine so I can position the bars in any position whilst...
Budget solution might be tightening your triple clamps if they aren't already tight. I have mine so I can position the bars in any position whilst on the stand without the front end going to full lock on It's own.
Make sure your levers are in a user friendly position. Whilst in the attack position, your arms and wrists should be straight (from elbows to knuckles). If your wrists are bent it won't help blood flow.
Pro-Taper "Pillow Top" grips helped a bit as well. Before trying them I always used the thinnest grips I could find, didn't expect to like the Pillow Tops but I do, having long fingers might help though, the people I know with short fingers hate them.

I have such a relaxed grip these days I don't wire, glue or use anything on my grips. Doesn't even bother me when they get water under them. I have a mate who goes through a set of grips every ride.

Factory Honda mechanic actually gave me that advice. It did help but learning to relax and breath helped the most. As does riding your own race, staying calm and not getting sucked into someone else's race. Focus on line choice and try to stay out of the rough stuff.
Eat well and drink plenty of water for the few days leading up to a ride.
What does that do?
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
5/5/2015 10:46am
Ruins your headstem bearings.
jtiger12
5/5/2015 10:55am
anytime i start getting arm pump, its usually one of these things for me..

not gripping the bike with my knees, or riding tight
shitty diet
not enough sleep, too much captain morgan last night

Cygnus
5/5/2015 10:58am
Fasstco Flexx bars made a big different to me as far as arm pump goes. If I ride a friends bike with out them I get pumped up bad.
5/5/2015 11:01am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2015 11:04am
Hman144 wrote:
Ruins your headstem bearings.
Rubbish. Never replaced a set in my life.
5/5/2015 11:02am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2015 11:05am
Cygnus wrote:
Fasstco Flexx bars made a big different to me as far as arm pump goes. If I ride a friends bike with out them I get...
Fasstco Flexx bars made a big different to me as far as arm pump goes. If I ride a friends bike with out them I get pumped up bad.
You're showing your age Tongue . Not to mention, Fasst Flexx bars are for Quads Whistling .

Twisted Engineering bars are 10x better Wink . http://www.twistedengineering.com/
Bruce372
5/5/2015 11:09am
Junebug833 wrote:
I have a 13 kx450 and I think it might be too much for me (no I'm not ashamed to say it). I have a really...
I have a 13 kx450 and I think it might be too much for me (no I'm not ashamed to say it). I have a really hard time holding on to the thing after about 5 laps but I am physically not tired just arm pump like crazy. I kind of feel like I'm fighting it sometimes to keep it under control. I'm coming off of 4 year break from riding and the bike I had before it was an 06 crf250r. I bought my kx brand new in July of 2013 and it's a freshie still. I'm considering switching back to a Honda as I felt way more comfortable and could actually ride a Honda 450 instead of the bike riding me. What are your guys opinions?
a friend of mine is a top 40+ A rider.

he said the same thing about his KXF450! it sounds like a beast of a bike!
moco
5/5/2015 11:12am
Ever consider blood doping?
IWreckALot
5/5/2015 11:21am
moco wrote:
Ever consider blood doping?
yeah this website is an encyclopedia of information on blood doping. Don't know something, just ask.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
5/5/2015 11:26am
Those carbon bars look very interesting.

Face it though, after 4 years, you're probably going to pump up some even if you were riding a CRF230. But before spending a bunch more money on your bike or some other bike, there are a few cheap tricks you can try that might help.

1. Gripper seat or a seat hump. First time I tried a seat hump it took a bit to get used to but it definitely helped take the load off of my arms when accelerating while seated. These are easy to make if you can find some old seat foam or similar foam from old car seats (rear seats on 3 row suvs use pretty similar density foam to motocross bike seats).

2. Gripper tape. I always run this on my airbox and part of my side panels. This makes my lower legs feel locked in place when I grip the bike with my legs.

3. Bars and lever position: as others have said, play around with your bars and levers. Running your levers a little higher will reduce the strain on your forearms and earn you brownie points with DV. There are also some simple ways to adjust the levers to be closer to the bars which might help if you have smaller hands.

4. Pay attention to your technique: My cousin suffered from armpump on his 450 because he rode it like his 250, abusing the clutch and not letting the torque do its job.

5. Pay attention to you fork's air pressure. I'm not sure what the best settings are, but I've heard people complain about air forks feeling harsh if they aren't at the right pressure. I'm sure others here can give you better advice on fork settings.

6. Make sure you have a strong core. Having a grippy seat and grip tape does nothing if you can't use your back and abs to stabilize your upper body.

All of these are very cheap to try before trying a new bike. Good luck.
Cygnus
5/5/2015 11:29am
Cygnus wrote:
Fasstco Flexx bars made a big different to me as far as arm pump goes. If I ride a friends bike with out them I get...
#991 wrote:
You're showing your age Tongue . Not to mention, Fasst Flexx bars are for Quads Whistling .

Twisted Engineering bars are 10x better Wink . http://www.twistedengineering.com/
I've seen those but haven't tryed them. I will probably stick with the Fasstco if for nothing but thier customer service is second to none. I thi some one was saying they went back to Fasstco after testing the twisted. I'll look and see if I can find it.
5/5/2015 11:32am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2015 11:38am
TriRacer27 wrote:
Those carbon bars look very interesting. Face it though, after 4 years, you're probably going to pump up some even if you were riding a CRF230...
Those carbon bars look very interesting.

Face it though, after 4 years, you're probably going to pump up some even if you were riding a CRF230. But before spending a bunch more money on your bike or some other bike, there are a few cheap tricks you can try that might help.

1. Gripper seat or a seat hump. First time I tried a seat hump it took a bit to get used to but it definitely helped take the load off of my arms when accelerating while seated. These are easy to make if you can find some old seat foam or similar foam from old car seats (rear seats on 3 row suvs use pretty similar density foam to motocross bike seats).

2. Gripper tape. I always run this on my airbox and part of my side panels. This makes my lower legs feel locked in place when I grip the bike with my legs.

3. Bars and lever position: as others have said, play around with your bars and levers. Running your levers a little higher will reduce the strain on your forearms and earn you brownie points with DV. There are also some simple ways to adjust the levers to be closer to the bars which might help if you have smaller hands.

4. Pay attention to your technique: My cousin suffered from armpump on his 450 because he rode it like his 250, abusing the clutch and not letting the torque do its job.

5. Pay attention to you fork's air pressure. I'm not sure what the best settings are, but I've heard people complain about air forks feeling harsh if they aren't at the right pressure. I'm sure others here can give you better advice on fork settings.

6. Make sure you have a strong core. Having a grippy seat and grip tape does nothing if you can't use your back and abs to stabilize your upper body.

All of these are very cheap to try before trying a new bike. Good luck.
I use those bars in an attempt to not show my age Tongue .
I'm making/attempting a "come back" after time off the bike as well. Plus I'm 44, I have them on both bikes. I get no arm pump on the MX track, I do while riding off road but only if I'm really pushing hard in tight ST.

+1 on the seat hump. They keep you forward in the corners and also help with starts IMO.,
5/5/2015 11:36am
Or you could try under-riding the bike. I pump up on anything if I try to sprint. Pacing my self is much more difficult, but usually leads to better technique and faster lap times in the end. Much easier said then done for me for some reason.
5/5/2015 11:42am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2015 11:43am
Or you could try under-riding the bike. I pump up on anything if I try to sprint. Pacing my self is much more difficult, but usually...
Or you could try under-riding the bike. I pump up on anything if I try to sprint. Pacing my self is much more difficult, but usually leads to better technique and faster lap times in the end. Much easier said then done for me for some reason.
"Sometimes to go faster, you have to slow down". "Smooth is Fast" Wink .
Junebug833
5/5/2015 11:47am
Or you could try under-riding the bike. I pump up on anything if I try to sprint. Pacing my self is much more difficult, but usually...
#991 wrote:
"Sometimes to go faster, you have to slow down". "Smooth is Fast" Wink .
Which is my thought process exactly. I would rather have a bike that is rideable than a bike that is wicked fast and I can't ride it for more than 5 laps.
brocster
5/5/2015 12:09pm
dropped a tooth on the rear on my last two Kaw's to help with that. Could possibly get away with dropping two teeth and still pull you around.
JBernard_401
5/5/2015 12:33pm
why's no one pointing out that the guy hasnt ridden in 4 years.
5/5/2015 12:46pm
Judging from his OP, I'd say he's already taken that into account.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
5/5/2015 12:49pm
The height, bend and location of my bars I think is the primary reason I never get arm pump ( I have in the past). Coming up with the perfect combination is the key.

Try rotating the bars fwd then back, try taller/shorter bars until you find the perfect match for you.

Just a thought..
Junebug833
I bought the bike in 13 after being off for 4 years...I've ridden it for 2 years
The Rock wrote:
Flywheel weight.

I had one on my KX450Fand was going to mention that but it wasn't cheap.

Post a reply to: I'm in a predicament...

The Latest