Taking photos at SX

Factoryphoto
Edited Date/Time 1/19/2012 12:32pm
is there a restriction to having a camera and big lens like a 300mm in the stands for shooting? I had the go ahead from DC and Jimmy Lewis for credentials but Denny Hartiwig is next to impossible to deal with so im going to take the wife down to watch the race from the stands. I could have sworn I read on here your not allowed to have a big lens in the stands. I know years ago i shot from the stands and never had any issues I just dont want to tote that 300mm around to get some practice day shots to find out im not allowed to have it in the stands id be worried leaving it in my truck.. I see watching on the tube flashes going off everywhere so i know point and shoots are ok.
GuyB
Kardy??
|
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/27/2010 1:54am
Depends on the venue. Each one seems to have their own guidelines and restrictions...or not.
alphado
1/27/2010 4:25am
What Guy Booberson said. I have snuck them in in the past.
kardy
1/27/2010 6:02am
You didn't get a regular media pass? I can see the problem with getting a vest, but I'd think if you had one of those guys vouching for you that a regular pass would be no problem. With a media pass you can shoot with whatever you want...

Otherwise, I have no idea. I don't think I've ever tried to get big stuff in w/o a pass.
russerbe
1/27/2010 6:56am
The first year I went to the Vegas SX, I wasn't credentialed. I took a D300, 70-200, and a monopod. I had them in my camera backpack. The first gate I went to, they said no, the second gate, one said yes, the other said no, the third gate I went to, had no problem. So I was in. Really, it comes down to the folks they are paying $7.25 an hour to stand at the gates and take tickets. Once you are in, I think you're ok. So, you might as well try, and go to every gate if you half to, and act like you know what you are doing, like you know for certain that you can do this.

The Shop

Factoryphoto
1/27/2010 9:59am
kardy wrote:
You didn't get a regular media pass? I can see the problem with getting a vest, but I'd think if you had one of those guys...
You didn't get a regular media pass? I can see the problem with getting a vest, but I'd think if you had one of those guys vouching for you that a regular pass would be no problem. With a media pass you can shoot with whatever you want...

Otherwise, I have no idea. I don't think I've ever tried to get big stuff in w/o a pass.
Ya I don't know what happen I put in for them about 2 months ago and was told it wouldnot be a problem. I see guys on the track with point and shoot cameras but here I do this for a living and all the guys email said was " you can shoot from the stands" lol I was like ya ok cool. Owell the nationals are way more important to me and I don't think I have deal with this indvidual then. If I see ya I'll give ya a whistle lol
jbomx363
1/27/2010 10:32am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:23pm
Stadium specific.

Not everyone agrees with me, but I've emailed the Stadium and asked specifically their policy on cameras. Once I get the response, I print it and carry it with me so when the goofballs at the gate start spouting off, I just show the email from the administrator.

Some allow up to a certain length of lens, some have no limits, some don't allow DSLR's.. just depends.

Of course, you can go stealth and stuff it in your chicks large purse and stack stuff (ladies products.. haha) over it so it's not seen when you enter.

Good Luck and post up whatcha get!

Let me add......you may end up with better stuff from the stands than you do the floor, depending on venue and where you walk around at.
motokid40
1/27/2010 12:17pm
I saw a couple cameras at Anaheim1 with lenses like your big one shooting from the stands!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
1/27/2010 12:47pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2010 12:50pm
Hoss, never had a problem with bringing my 300 into ATT and shooting during the day from below or at night from my seat. The last time I was there with the camera (06?), a guy checking tickets at the Club entrance (already in the park) told me to put it away, but nothing came from it.

BTW, I think you need to be persistant with DH and be clear and respectful about what you want if you don't already have a relationship with him; he gets a ton of requests from what I understand and may just have been clarifying to you that as between Feld and the stadium, Feld has no objection to you shooting from the stands.
oilman400
Fantasy
1914th
1/28/2010 7:52am
jbomx363 wrote:
Stadium specific. Not everyone agrees with me, but I've emailed the Stadium and asked specifically their policy on cameras. Once I get the response, I print...
Stadium specific.

Not everyone agrees with me, but I've emailed the Stadium and asked specifically their policy on cameras. Once I get the response, I print it and carry it with me so when the goofballs at the gate start spouting off, I just show the email from the administrator.

Some allow up to a certain length of lens, some have no limits, some don't allow DSLR's.. just depends.

Of course, you can go stealth and stuff it in your chicks large purse and stack stuff (ladies products.. haha) over it so it's not seen when you enter.

Good Luck and post up whatcha get!

Let me add......you may end up with better stuff from the stands than you do the floor, depending on venue and where you walk around at.
Any reply from SF stadium
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
1/28/2010 9:26am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:24pm
From the website, and it hasn't changed since the last time I went to SFSX:

CAMERAS & VIDEO EQUIPMENT Cameras and video equipment are allowed in AT&T Park, but the equipment may not obstruct the view or path of others. Fans are not allowed to reproduce or rebroadcast any film or videotape of Giants games for commercial purposes without the written permission of the Giants and Major League Baseball.

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/sf/ballpark/ballparkguide_list.jsp#cameras
huck
1/28/2010 10:08am
In STL I was told no camera with a detachable lens... period!

Factoryphoto
1/28/2010 1:04pm
I got a media pass so im good to go.
Thanks for the responses. Now im just sick as a dog hopefully I can still go Saturday.
Hoss
SteveS
1/28/2010 1:12pm
huck wrote:
In STL I was told no camera with a detachable lens... period!

Not true. I have always brought my Nikon SLR with a couple of lenses to the STL SX. I carry it in an over the shoulder bag, they look in it when I go in.
Chili
1/28/2010 10:58pm
I've shot from the stands with an dSLR in St. Loius as well.
mxracer32
1/29/2010 5:19am
I got into atlanta with my 20d along with my 24-70 and 70-300, batteries, flash, etc. they care more about the size of your bag than whats in it, at least in atlanta. i had one guy try to tell me i couldnt bring that in until this NICE lady who worked there laughed saying she had handbags bigger thatn my small camera bag. this year i wont be brining the 70-300 as its only a f4, and i had better pictures with just cropping pics from my 24-70 since its a 2.8. i may bring the fish for some stadium shots.
yamazuki
1/29/2010 6:57am
I have never got stopped at Anaheim, Pheonix, San Diego, Vegas or Utah. No video cameras. This is funny, just about every phone has video. The thing that will hurt is that most new DSLRs have video. Once they understand this they may stop DSLRs from coming in period. The best thing is to be polite, don't stand in front of paying customers, don't stand in the entrance halls and block traffic. The guys that kick you out for standing or sitting in areas that are roped off are nice if you politely as them if you can take a picture from one of those spots. There are some who won't let you no matter what but it never hurts to ask.
1/29/2010 9:03am

i took this photo , from the stands, at the Orlando SX in 06, i used a Canon EOS Rebel,35mm SLR , with a 28-90 lens, and i used 800 speed kodak film.
i was asked at the gate if it was a video camera , i said no and went right in.
TaylorHenson
1/29/2010 9:38am
I've always been able to shoot with my DSLR from the stands in St.Louis and Atlanta. I just show them what I have in the bag and they let me in no problem.
Factoryphoto
1/29/2010 10:49am
The media pass lets you walk down section you dont have a ticket for. Basically walk down anywhere along the railing and can shoot from there and since im using a 300 2.8 I should get some decent shots. Its unlimited to anywhere in the stadium , main thing is not obstructing the view of someone sitting in there seat. I just plan to get some practice shots in the day I should have the reach easy and then get close ups of all the bikes and trick stuff they have on them.
Should be good weather looks like its going to hold out for the race.
CCMX
1/29/2010 11:38am Edited Date/Time 1/29/2010 11:40am

took these 30 yrs ago. Hannah out front
bryno74
1/29/2010 12:01pm
Hoss, never had a problem with bringing my 300 into ATT and shooting during the day from below or at night from my seat. The last...
Hoss, never had a problem with bringing my 300 into ATT and shooting during the day from below or at night from my seat. The last time I was there with the camera (06?), a guy checking tickets at the Club entrance (already in the park) told me to put it away, but nothing came from it.

BTW, I think you need to be persistant with DH and be clear and respectful about what you want if you don't already have a relationship with him; he gets a ton of requests from what I understand and may just have been clarifying to you that as between Feld and the stadium, Feld has no objection to you shooting from the stands.
This is the road i went. It was tough, But once you get a break it gets easier. I shot the cover of Dirt Rider with my first SX credential at A1 and ended up buying a ticket and shooting from the stands for A2. TFS once told me I would never get on the on the floor, Good thing I didn't listen and keep trying.
SteveS
1/29/2010 12:45pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2010 12:45pm
The media pass lets you walk down section you dont have a ticket for. Basically walk down anywhere along the railing and can shoot from there...
The media pass lets you walk down section you dont have a ticket for. Basically walk down anywhere along the railing and can shoot from there and since im using a 300 2.8 I should get some decent shots. Its unlimited to anywhere in the stadium , main thing is not obstructing the view of someone sitting in there seat. I just plan to get some practice shots in the day I should have the reach easy and then get close ups of all the bikes and trick stuff they have on them.
Should be good weather looks like its going to hold out for the race.
During practice you can walk around and shoot from wherever you want in the stands without a pass. They will stop you if you are standing in an aisle though. You have to be in the seating area.

Post a reply to: Taking photos at SX

The Latest