LL Qualifier practice.....

Steve 396
Edited Date/Time 2/26/2015 7:40am
Would you show up to a track you have never seen or ridden, run morning practice (probably 3 laps) and then line up and try to qualify? Might have to do it this coming weekend. Supposed to rain a lot on Wednesday and they are scheduled to have practice Thursday evening but IF they have a lot of rain they might canx practice and they are not holding a practice on Friday.

Thoughts?
|
BobPA
2/23/2015 5:58pm
I did it at Doublin gap a few years ago, it is a very technical track too. I did my regular practice and went out for late practice on my dads bike (different number) to get a bit
More track time. If you're confident in your setup you should be ok. It never hurts to ride different terrain.
MxKing809
Fantasy
1313th
2/23/2015 6:01pm
Idk. If you're a good rider I don't think it's nesscarry. I went to practice at Daniel Boone 10 years ago or so for a Regional and still shit the bed lol. This Yankee sure did miss his beach sand....
vetmotoxer34
2/23/2015 6:09pm
Hey Steve if your talking about Gravity Alley, I think you will be fine. Just watch some YouTube Video's and learn the track. Nothing on that track that you can't handle. I'm waiting till Vet MX in a few more weeks. Best of luck this weekend if y'all go.
2/23/2015 6:12pm
Did that at a couple of amateur nationals and it definitely puts you at a disadvantage. I didn't get the track wired until my last few motos. Best you can do is hop in behind some of the fast locals and pin it for 3 laps. Good luck to ya.

The Shop

Steve 396
2/23/2015 6:14pm
I am an ok rider and since I am going to be there anyway I am going to give it a go and see if I can make it (doing it for my son that is racing). One of those things like "you never know until you try" type of things. You can't control the weather but I am hoping that it doesn't rain as much as predicted. Obviously I would feel a lot better if a couple of regular practice sessions before lining up. I imagine we are going either way but just thought I would get some opinions.
Steve 396
2/23/2015 6:18pm
Hey Steve if your talking about Gravity Alley, I think you will be fine. Just watch some YouTube Video's and learn the track. Nothing on that...
Hey Steve if your talking about Gravity Alley, I think you will be fine. Just watch some YouTube Video's and learn the track. Nothing on that track that you can't handle. I'm waiting till Vet MX in a few more weeks. Best of luck this weekend if y'all go.
Hey Jamie, yep that's the place I am talking about. I watched a few videos myself and it doesn't look hard. Thought you might be there yourself this coming weekend. If we don't make it in this weekend we are going to try and make it to Vet Mx also.
2/23/2015 6:28pm
Steve 396 wrote:
Would you show up to a track you have never seen or ridden, run morning practice (probably 3 laps) and then line up and try to...
Would you show up to a track you have never seen or ridden, run morning practice (probably 3 laps) and then line up and try to qualify? Might have to do it this coming weekend. Supposed to rain a lot on Wednesday and they are scheduled to have practice Thursday evening but IF they have a lot of rain they might canx practice and they are not holding a practice on Friday.

Thoughts?
If they don't have a Thursday practice at least walk the track to give you an idea its layout.
imoto34
Fantasy
3376th
2/23/2015 10:02pm
Id say that there will be several other riders in the same situation as you.. Just have fun man! Watch anyone who may be faster then you. I tend to stay at the best vantage point and watch as much as possible. It may help to talk to some guys who rode track prior to your first moto.
motoxtred
2/24/2015 7:27am
I think it depends on the rider. My son has the ability to dial a track in a few laps. Not bragging, it's just something he happens to be good at. We did exactly what you're talking about last year at a qualifier. Ended up qualifying in both classes including a moto win. I have noticed (a lot of times to my dismay) that he'll be flying the second lap of a practice on a track he's never seen after I flat out told him to learn the track the first time out. That may be why he's good at it, he just gets on the track and goes.

Don't know what class you're in but I know he always checks the track first and watches the A riders practice. If you have the confidence that you're just as good as your competition you should be able to follow them at practice. Have a plan going in and go for it.
clmartin22
2/24/2015 8:33am
Hey Steve if your talking about Gravity Alley, I think you will be fine. Just watch some YouTube Video's and learn the track. Nothing on that...
Steve 396 wrote:
Hey Jamie, yep that's the place I am talking about. I watched a few videos myself and it doesn't look hard. Thought you might be there...
Hey Jamie, yep that's the place I am talking about. I watched a few videos myself and it doesn't look hard. Thought you might be there yourself this coming weekend. If we don't make it in this weekend we are going to try and make it to Vet Mx also.
Steve, I am with Jamie I don't think you will have any problems with Gravity Alley. Can't believe they aren't having practice there. Love to have you come up to Vet MX whether you make it or not. Should have all our qualifier info posted up at vetmxpark.com this week. Good luck

Here's a video of Vet, track has changed a little but this is close
TeamGreen
2/24/2015 9:01am
Steve 396 wrote:
Would you show up to a track you have never seen or ridden, run morning practice (probably 3 laps) and then line up and try to...

Thoughts?
If they don't have a Thursday practice at least walk the track to give you an idea its layout.
Exactly

Also, seems to me people make it hard on themselves by making too much of the qualifiers: it's just another day at the track. Make the most of it.

I raced a coupl'a qualifiers out here in Nor-Cal last spring. I was there to race and signed up to qualify just in case my calendar allowed it...it didn't. Even-though Emig, Smith & Company where waaaaaaaay fast...they were some of the most courteous and safe-smooth riders to race wth.

Have a Great Race!
Steve 396
2/24/2015 5:01pm
clmartin22 wrote:
Steve, I am with Jamie I don't think you will have any problems with Gravity Alley. Can't believe they aren't having practice there. Love to have...
Steve, I am with Jamie I don't think you will have any problems with Gravity Alley. Can't believe they aren't having practice there. Love to have you come up to Vet MX whether you make it or not. Should have all our qualifier info posted up at vetmxpark.com this week. Good luck

Here's a video of Vet, track has changed a little but this is close
Chad,

They are having their normal Thursday night practice but if they get too much rain there will be none till Saturday am they say. Not the way I would do it if I was running the track but it's their show. I am NOT talking bad about them, just different than what I hoped for. We are going either way and plan to have a good time no matter what. I will check your website for info and hope to make it if possible. Always like riding different tracks no matter what.

Thanks everyone for the replies. We will see how it goes but as long as we leave healthy, gave it our all and have a smile on our face then it will be a successful weekend. My son made it to the regional last year so hopefully we at least make it that far. We spent the week at Loretta's helping a friend and watching the racing. We had a kick azz time for sure!

Bring on the weekend!
Seamorbutts
2/24/2015 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2015 5:38pm
I live about a hour from Gravity Alley. Its a small confined motocross track. On race day they put down a ton of this mulch kind of stuff that makes it better for traction, but it also gets ruff too. Last time I was over there was a few years back though. I remember watching Zach Bell on a Kawasaki 100cc running in the schoolboy class. He was super fast, but even back then he was crashing. Lol... KW use to ride there as well. Over all I really don't care for the track that much. Too little..
2/24/2015 5:53pm
You won't be the only one going out there with a few laps of practice on a new track. Does anyone know how the track holds up with some moisture? Looks like there is a pretty good chance Sunday.
Dtat720
2/24/2015 6:12pm
Im in the same boat. Havent been there in a few years and going on a bike ive only got about 5 hrs ride time on. More of a dial it in race for me so I can be ready for Vets q.
Seamorbutts
2/24/2015 6:26pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2015 6:29pm
You won't be the only one going out there with a few laps of practice on a new track. Does anyone know how the track holds...
You won't be the only one going out there with a few laps of practice on a new track. Does anyone know how the track holds up with some moisture? Looks like there is a pretty good chance Sunday.
It's definitely not a sand type track that holds moisture. Think cement on weekdays, and mulch to the gills on race days. I believe it will be nasty come race day. For 3 days now its been rainy and cold over here. I know I wouldn't be racing this weekend if it were me. i can't stand to race in the mud. Too big of a chance at getting hurt.
2/24/2015 6:38pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2015 6:49pm
I don't know how many LL's qualifiers you have been to but the one I did it was basically an exhibition race because usually 8 or 9 guys make it. I guess it just depends on what class you are riding.
Seamorbutts
2/24/2015 6:53pm
I don't know how many LL's qualifiers you have been to but the one I did it was basically an exhibition race because usually 8 or...
I don't know how many LL's qualifiers you have been to but the one I did it was basically an exhibition race because usually 8 or 9 guys make it. I guess it just depends on what class you are riding.
Yep, like with the vet classes. Everyone advances... lol
2/25/2015 7:27am
I got lapped at the area qualifier two years ago and I still advanced, the regional is a totally different story though.
Seamorbutts
2/25/2015 8:26am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2015 8:28am
I got lapped at the area qualifier two years ago and I still advanced, the regional is a totally different story though.
I agree, I never had time to go to a regional, but many of my old riding buddies did. You're right, regionals ain't no joke.

Speaking of Gravity Alley, It's still raining, It's going to be one hell of a mess for whoever goes I believe.
Dtat720
2/25/2015 8:28am
Im in Jackson, MS and its starting to snow so i' be pretty safe in saying BB is getting rain still.
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2169th
2/25/2015 10:04am
I don't think there is anything wrong with just running practice the day of the race only. I tell my boy this constantly, it's just dirt there really aren't many variables to it. It's good practice to be forced to learn a track quickly. It eventually turns into an advantage. When you make it to LL's there is only one practice, then during race day there is NO practice. Force yourself to be a quick study. I agree 100% on the youtube videos.
Ryan599mx
2/26/2015 6:56am
I raced the Reddick qualifier with only the morning practice and it was a huge mistake. They built an insane rhythm section around a corner I would have been able to figure out had I came to the practice the day before. It totally killed my chances at placing well because I just didnt have time to learn it in my 4 laps practice.
Seamorbutts
2/26/2015 7:40am
Well, it stopped raining finally. Thats my weather report for the day.

Post a reply to: LL Qualifier practice.....

The Latest