How do I teach my boy to....

Hammer 663s
scrub. He's 10, rides a late model KTM 65, and is a reasonably quick rider. He takes instruction very well and is quick to apply things, although he is fairly conservative - he's not gonna go out and huck a 100 footer on his 2nd lap.

We have access to a private track for practice, with tables up to about 50 feet and some rollers into rhythm sections. There are at least 4 or 5 places where scrubbing would be useful. He can make every jump on the track easily, and it is obvious to me that scrubbing would save him at least 2-3 seconds a lap if not more.

Most of what I teach him I demonstrate first after talking through the technique in detail. Start's and cornering for example. Problem is I am an old guy and I can't scrub.

So, any good resources for teaching this via video or something? Or anyone in Portland want to come give him some lessons one day?

Thanks!

Mike
|
zehn
10/12/2016 1:17pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2016 1:24pm
When I was learning the technique, I always used walls and singles to do it so I could get a feeling for the timing and such without the big risk of messing it up on a bigger jump.

That's all I've got.

P.S. Does a 10 year old really need to know how to scrub? That should come with time.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/12/2016 1:19pm
Sorry bud, at ten I wouldn't teach my kid how to scrub. Let him get older and learn it on his own. I'm only 26 and I couldn't imagine wanting to teach my kid how to scrub in 9 1/2 years when he's 10. I've seen scrubs go wrong and the outcome. Focus on his corner speed and make sure he's always comfortable in the bike. Scrubbing will come in a few years on his own.
peelout
10/12/2016 1:22pm
i'd teach him how to scrub some seconds per lap in the corners bro
Hammer 663s
10/12/2016 1:27pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2016 1:31pm
I'm looking at it like this - is it safer to scrub and stay low than hit a 50 footer straight up? I cringe when I see him 20 feet up in the air although he's calm and lands it fine. Seem like scrubbing would be safer since it keeps you lower. But maybe the risk of the scrub itself is worse - since I can't do one I don't know. I've seen em go wrong too - Canard at Washougal as well as this year with Pourcel.

It's not about being the fastest to us - I'd rather be safe. If just going straight is better we'll stay with that. I'm under no illusion that he is the next Big Thing. Smile

M

The Shop

mach6972
10/12/2016 1:34pm
you don't teach that it comes natural
Hammer 663s
10/12/2016 1:36pm
Ha, so I googled how to teach your kid to scrub and all I got was links to tip to get them cleaning their rooms. Need that too.
86honda
10/12/2016 1:38pm
internet motocross lessons will get you hurt. Take it ez dad.
10/12/2016 1:50pm
First he gets really fast.
Then he gets so fast he can't quit over jumping shit because he's going too fast.
Then he jumps really well.
Then he jumps really well and gets bored jumping straight.
Then he starts leaning over on take off.
Then he leans more.
Then he leans more.
Then he is scrubbing.

Which step is the young stunner on?
mach6972
10/12/2016 2:03pm
First he gets really fast. Then he gets so fast he can't quit over jumping shit because he's going too fast. Then he jumps really well...
Then he gets so fast he can't quit over jumping shit because he's going too fast.
Then he leans more.
Then he leans more.
Then he is scrubbing.

None yet, he wants to skip all that and go straight to the scrub
Tracktor
10/12/2016 2:08pm
They learn on their own at least mine have. It's tougher to whip/scrub a 65 from our experience and get's easier as they move up to 85's and big bikes. I don't see how it would be and safer though...................
JW381
10/12/2016 2:08pm
peelout wrote:
[img]http://i54.tinypic.com/1430z84.jpg[/img]
Wow!! Where do you find this amaze photograph?? It I must have for my special collection. I am prince son of Nigerian King, I am willing to wire to you the amount of $2,000,000 American dollars for this item. My uncle, who is of wealthy must transfer funds to your account directly to in order avoid special fee by US customs. If you can be so kind as please respond to me with your bank account number and routing information immediately I will transfusion funds to you right away. Thanks much and have blessed day
JW381
10/12/2016 2:10pm
peelout wrote:
You vs the guy she tells you not to worry about ^^

mxracer816
Fantasy
2864th
10/12/2016 2:10pm
peelout wrote:
Never gets old! DDAVIS GOLD!
peelout
10/12/2016 2:16pm
peelout wrote:
JW381 wrote:
You vs the guy she tells you not to worry about ^^ [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/10/12/155500/s1200_s780_051212bubba1.jpg[/img]
You vs the guy she tells you not to worry about ^^

same pic different angle bro
TXDirt
10/12/2016 2:21pm
Scrubbing jumps? Not so much. Scrubbing dishes? Well yes. Get him a nice sponge first.
Forty
10/12/2016 2:32pm
peelout wrote:
This! I've never been beat by a jump scrubber but a rider that can corner properly will always be at the front.

Scrubbing jumps as a 10 year old! No offense but you're asking for a broken bone.
hvaughn88
10/12/2016 2:34pm
Could have sworn you were gonna ask how to teach him how to dougie
mx836
10/12/2016 2:39pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2016 2:41pm
Don't take tips from these experts would be the first place to start. There's plenty of ten year old kids out there "scrubbing" (or at least learning to) and if you want to help your youngster learn, get him some hands on coaching from somebody who knows what they are talking about. Also, I get a laugh out of people saying to learn how to corner instead. If you're trying to get faster, why would you not practice every aspect?
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/12/2016 2:43pm
mx836 wrote:
Don't take tips from these experts would be the first place to start. There's plenty of ten year old kids out there "scrubbing" (or at least...
Don't take tips from these experts would be the first place to start. There's plenty of ten year old kids out there "scrubbing" (or at least learning to) and if you want to help your youngster learn, get him some hands on coaching from somebody who knows what they are talking about. Also, I get a laugh out of people saying to learn how to corner instead. If you're trying to get faster, why would you not practice every aspect?
Seat time is finite, why wouldnt you alot more time to fundamentals?
mx836
10/12/2016 2:48pm
early wrote:
Seat time is finite, why wouldnt you alot more time to fundamentals?
The kids been practicing corners since he started riding. Why not practice scrubbing at a young age too? The more comfortable you are in every way at a young age will only help in the future. It's not like you aren't going over the jumps every time you ride anyway. Doesn't matter what you post. Somebody always has to play devils advocate.
10/12/2016 2:50pm
Scrubbing is like pulling chicks... if you have to ask how to do it you aren't ready to score.
Hammer 663s
10/12/2016 2:50pm
First he gets really fast. Then he gets so fast he can't quit over jumping shit because he's going too fast. Then he jumps really well...
Then he leans more.
Then he leans more.
Then he is scrubbing.

He hasn't started leaning over on take off. I wouldn't say he's really fast (that's somewhat subjective anyway) but he can easily over jump anything on the track and is having to slow prior to hitting the faces to avoid that. I guess we will start with a little lean and see how that feels to him.
10/12/2016 2:57pm
Then he leans more.
Then he leans more.
Then he is scrubbing.

He hasn't started leaning over on take off. I wouldn't say he's really fast (that's somewhat subjective anyway) but he can easily over jump anything on...
He hasn't started leaning over on take off. I wouldn't say he's really fast (that's somewhat subjective anyway) but he can easily over jump anything on the track and is having to slow prior to hitting the faces to avoid that. I guess we will start with a little lean and see how that feels to him.
All jokes aside, it is progressive.

The process has already began, he is fast enough to over jump and he has the desire to learn.

Second would be watching LOTS of footage in slow motion to pick up on the intricacies of the movement.

Third let him know that anything another human can do, he can also. Unless he can't, and he will possibly be injured.

Fourth, it's really not much faster compared to old school methods like letting off and hitting the brakes on the takeoff, unless you are REALLY emphasizing the movements and that is where TRUE scrubbing is dangerous.

Can he hit the brakes on takeoff comfortably? Can you post pics of him in the air so we can see how comfortable he is?
Hammer 663s
10/12/2016 2:57pm
mx836 wrote:
Don't take tips from these experts would be the first place to start. There's plenty of ten year old kids out there "scrubbing" (or at least...
Thanks. We've ridden with a lot of fast NorCal kids - I know a bunch of 10+ year olds that are already scrubbing. Mine's involved in 3 different sports, all at competitive levels. He's pretty much a jock - light, strong, fit, good reflexes and good body control for his age. He understands technique is critical, and we work together on fundamentals every time, plus we add new technique as he develops. But I have my limits in each sport where I can't teach him anymore. He's getting there in every case. That's all I'm asking - what's the proper technique. Training by someone who really knows it is best, but this is for fun, not to make a living so it's not a high priority to us. If I can get useful advice (rare here it seems) I'll use it. If not, at least I'll enjoy the responses.
Hammer 663s
10/12/2016 3:07pm
All jokes aside, it is progressive. The process has already began, he is fast enough to over jump and he has the desire to learn. Second...
All jokes aside, it is progressive.

The process has already began, he is fast enough to over jump and he has the desire to learn.

Second would be watching LOTS of footage in slow motion to pick up on the intricacies of the movement.

Third let him know that anything another human can do, he can also. Unless he can't, and he will possibly be injured.

Fourth, it's really not much faster compared to old school methods like letting off and hitting the brakes on the takeoff, unless you are REALLY emphasizing the movements and that is where TRUE scrubbing is dangerous.

Can he hit the brakes on takeoff comfortably? Can you post pics of him in the air so we can see how comfortable he is?
Exactly - it's a process. It seems from where he's at that it's time to start looking at this more closely.

We'll check out some Bubba videos. We already watch our own gopros in detail especially starts to see what we do right or wrong (we both race) and try to learn from that.

I use a lot of positive reinforcement. He's been hurt several times since he started racing at 5 and it has impacted his risk acceptance. So we introduce new stuff at a pace he can accept.

It sure looks faster to get the wheels back on the ground ASAP, but I realize we are watching the top level do it and most of us will never get even close to that skill level.

I'm not sure he's ever braked on take off. I'll have to ask. We've been focusing on smooth acceleration off the face for the most part. I'll try to take some pics and see what that shows me. Thanks!
kkawboy14
10/12/2016 3:11pm
peelout wrote:
What he said!
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/12/2016 3:12pm
Have you tried having him single every jump for a number of laps? Hitting brakes and laying it over like its a supercross wall jump, then moving to small tables.

Post a reply to: How do I teach my boy to....

The Latest