CL ad- nah, this doesn't look stolen at all

user760a
Edited Date/Time 10/10/2014 11:50am
|
reded
10/9/2014 5:04pm
I used to be very racist...raced every weekend.
moto38
10/9/2014 5:54pm
every time i see something like this I think about all the time spent by engineers, designers, assemblers, etc that went into making something as amazing and perfect as one of these bikes, only to be stolen and spraypainted then left to die in some ghetto chop shop with its serial numbers filed off.

Am i crazy? i dunno. Its just sad Sad
user760a
10/9/2014 7:08pm
It is also sad to think about the person who was the legitimate owner of this bike , to have it (apparently) stolen, vandalized, and then taken to a shop run by an (apparent) idiot who didn't think anything of a new-ish bike coming in all beaten and spray painted, did nothing to investigate the background of the bike and told nobody about it. this person is an enabler in my book

The Shop

Question
10/10/2014 3:54am

I am curious to know how it works in the US: if it was stolen, how many years after it can be considered as legal again, if there is a process to do in between, etc (because theorically as it is, the bike, even sold in parts, can be big troubles)

Otherwise if the bike can be legal, that is a bargain. It is indeed depressing to watch such a bike in such conditions, that could be a good project to save it. A bit of work to do (to remove the paint). Parts looks clean (swingarm, rims, shock, etc). Possibly just sell the Ohlins streering damper and that will get you fresh plastics & graphics. The cylinder must be controlled. With the new piston, $500 for the latest YZ engine & frame, what a bargain ! If you are addicted to nice parts, that leaves you with a huge budget to put everything, especially if you like to buy second hand ones.

motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
10/10/2014 4:07am
I don't always stuff my jeans in the bottom end, but when i do I make sure I also run bark busters and paint my aluminum frame
10/10/2014 4:40am
Question wrote:
I am curious to know how it works in the US: if it was stolen, how many years after it can be considered as legal again...

I am curious to know how it works in the US: if it was stolen, how many years after it can be considered as legal again, if there is a process to do in between, etc (because theorically as it is, the bike, even sold in parts, can be big troubles)

Otherwise if the bike can be legal, that is a bargain. It is indeed depressing to watch such a bike in such conditions, that could be a good project to save it. A bit of work to do (to remove the paint). Parts looks clean (swingarm, rims, shock, etc). Possibly just sell the Ohlins streering damper and that will get you fresh plastics & graphics. The cylinder must be controlled. With the new piston, $500 for the latest YZ engine & frame, what a bargain ! If you are addicted to nice parts, that leaves you with a huge budget to put everything, especially if you like to buy second hand ones.

Never. People who knowingly buy other people's stolen bike are just as guilty as the ones stealing it in the first place.

It's sad really - so few buyers have cops run VIN checks on bikes in person. They either don't do it at all, or ask for the seller to email a VIN number and trust that it is the one on the bike.

Every used bike I buy even if it is a basketcase or roller - everyone purchase involves an officer coming out to run a VIN check. I do it every fucking time now. It's free where I live and officers are happy to do it.
Gabriel J
10/10/2014 6:02am
If you managed to get the VIN, and found that it was in fact NOT stolen..Then $500 would be pretty sweet, provided it came with all the parts to build it. A full-disassemble and rebuild free of spray paint and it would be bad ass!
bradmx421
10/10/2014 11:35am
That bike is worth so much more!!! I know I saw it on the 12 O'clock Boyz Documentary the other night....
YZ125H1
10/10/2014 11:50am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2014 11:51am
bradmx421 wrote:
That bike is worth so much more!!! I know I saw it on the 12 O'clock Boyz Documentary the other night....
Reminds me of what happened when I tried to sell my bike. Get a call from Maryland pick it up this guy is interested in my bike. Starts asking all these questions then asks if it does wheelies. Then he keeps trying to lowball me over $1k under my asking price and offering to trade his 1980's XR250, videogames, console etc. He keeps throwing out random offers and saying my bike is 7 years old bla bla bla. I just stayed on the line to act like a complete idiot and see where it would go. Lasted 7 minutes I was trying to hold my laughter in the entire call. I have no clue if the dude was completely seriously or just trolling it sounded like I was on speaker phone. Cant believe people just have so much time to kill they waste it trolling legitimate ads on a sunday night.

Most likely a stolen bike especially considering the black spray paint on such a new bike. Not sure if they decided to part it out or what it is missing a lot of stuff.

Post a reply to: CL ad- nah, this doesn't look stolen at all

The Latest