2017 CRF 450. Low hour

obiwan461

Hey guys be gentle with me. I rode and raced from 1991 to 2005. Millions of Laps turned. Here goes. I’m 49. 6’ 212 lbs. vet intermediate.  I have a 05CRF 450 with a hundred hours. Has pro action suspension fully sprung and valved Tony Berlutti rebuild my motor he couldn’t believe I have the stock original clutch plates and basket.  Yes I don’t use the clutch only when  to keep from stalling.  And I have bat fly over size rotor and a DRD pipe. With the suspension it’s amazing that said the bike is stone cold reliable. But after riding an 18 I finally noticed the 05 is kind of a tank.  I found a 29 hour 2017. CRF. I will only ride spring forks period.  Since the 17 is Barley broken in it has OEM chain and sprocket buying from another meticulous maintenance vet rider.  My question. Is 200vets im not going to race and more but I do all the jumps at 3 palms Main track. I’ve not ridden Since 2016.  Except twice on the 05.  Is the 2017 CRF springs heavy enough for a 200 lb rider ? Or am I going to back side s big table and clank Metal to metal ?  I’m mostly to ride at Rio.  It’s a vet track. Im sporting a right knee replacement so Im going fast still but I don’t see myself airing it out much any more. But I still can turn fast laps. Am I going to have to spend another 1,200$ on suspension right away or should I just ride my total dialed in 05.  And be happy. ??  Money isn’t the big issue. It’s just I want to go ride get a good workout and go home.  Advice ? Thoughts. ? Vets go  ahead or anyone with 200 lbs club insights 

Poll

What should I vet int. Ride /race 49 yr 210

Choices
|
MxAddic
4/18/2024 4:59am

You may have to go up 2 rates on the forks. If I remember correctly they increased the rate one in '18 to balance the bike.

obiwan461
4/18/2024 6:31am

Ah I think I remember that.  Thank you. I seem to remember going up at least one. In front it’s like when the OEMs finally started springing bikes for the men who buy them not for 145 lb teens 

obiwan461
4/18/2024 6:34am
MxAddic wrote:
You may have to go up 2 rates on the forks. If I remember correctly they increased the rate one in '18 to balance the bike...

You may have to go up 2 rates on the forks. If I remember correctly they increased the rate one in '18 to balance the bike.

I’m going to look up on race tech spring generator. Seems like I remember.49 is what’s in my 05. It’s at my brothers house it’s written on.the fork 

erik_94COBRA
4/18/2024 7:15am

Also a ~200lb vet rider in the Houston area.

Had a 2008 Honda CRF450 with suspension setup for me.  Later had a 2018 Honda CRF450 with suspension setup for me.  After getting both setup just how I liked (jetting, mapping, etc.), I don't know if I'd turn a faster lap on one over the other.  The '18 probably cornered a little better on tracks with actual dirt and ruts (not sandy 3 palms).  The '08 was probably a little more stable in the softer/sandier locations.  I liked my '19 KTM 450 better than either of those, FWIW.

And I like my '19 Husky FC350 with a few mods (spring forks and ECU) better than any 450 I've had.  

I'd freshen up the '05 and then decide how to proceed.  

The Shop

obiwan461
4/18/2024 8:12am
Also a ~200lb vet rider in the Houston area. Had a 2008 Honda CRF450 with suspension setup for me.  Later had a 2018 Honda CRF450 with...

Had a 2008 Honda CRF450 with suspension setup for me.  Later had a 2018 Honda CRF450 with suspension setup for me.  After getting both setup just how I liked (jetting, mapping, etc.), I don't know if I'd turn a faster lap on one over the other.  The '18 probably cornered a little better on tracks with actual dirt and ruts (not sandy 3 palms).  The '08 was probably a little more stable in the softer/sandier locations.  I liked my '19 KTM 450 better than either of those, FWIW.

And I like my '19 Husky FC350 with a few mods (spring forks and ECU) better than any 450 I've had.  

Erik. I remember you !  It’s Sean Kirby.  Awesome bikes to compare the 08 was the pinnacle of carburetor CRFs. Crazy how they got it all dialed i. That year then my brother got the dreaded fuel pump eating 09 CRF he hated it took me 3 fuel pump’s different part numbers to get it right enough to sell. !  Yeah my 05 is the most money I’ve put into a bike. There’s really nothing left it’s all white with black accents striped seat black wheels gold hubs. Talons. DRD. Full pipe pro action suspension bat fly rotor it’s as close to factory bike I’ll ever get still have not taken the clutch cover off not once !!  I can ride a 4 stroke not near as fast as Tomac but I know how to not destroy clutch!! 100 hours on the original basket and plates !

obiwan461
4/18/2024 8:16am
Also a ~200lb vet rider in the Houston area. Had a 2008 Honda CRF450 with suspension setup for me.  Later had a 2018 Honda CRF450 with...

My brother got the K Dub map on his 11 CrF450. It hit soo hard I couldn’t ride it I’m decent skill level. But that bike shot nose high off everything I tried to ride it twice and parked it. I say no to mapping now lol

erik_94COBRA
4/18/2024 9:16am

obiwan461 wrote:
Erik. I remember you !  It’s Sean Kirby.  Awesome bikes to compare the 08 was the pinnacle of carburetor CRFs. Crazy how they got it all...

Erik. I remember you !  It’s Sean Kirby.  Awesome bikes to compare the 08 was the pinnacle of carburetor CRFs. Crazy how they got it all dialed i. That year then my brother got the dreaded fuel pump eating 09 CRF he hated it took me 3 fuel pump’s different part numbers to get it right enough to sell. !  Yeah my 05 is the most money I’ve put into a bike. There’s really nothing left it’s all white with black accents striped seat black wheels gold hubs. Talons. DRD. Full pipe pro action suspension bat fly rotor it’s as close to factory bike I’ll ever get still have not taken the clutch cover off not once !!  I can ride a 4 stroke not near as fast as Tomac but I know how to not destroy clutch!! 100 hours on the original basket and plates !

Hey Sean!  Cool to see you back at it.  I did a training at Ultimate MX in Alvin with you and James Marshall ages ago.

Newer bikes are definitely nice, but I think the carbed CRFs are pretty great still.  Harder to flame out, no herky-jerky throttle response when you crack the throttle, and plenty of grunt and response.  And if the suspension is already set then it's almost a no-brainer.  

obiwan461
4/18/2024 9:32am

obiwan461 wrote:
Erik. I remember you !  It’s Sean Kirby.  Awesome bikes to compare the 08 was the pinnacle of carburetor CRFs. Crazy how they got it all...

Hey Sean!  Cool to see you back at it.  I did a training at Ultimate MX in Alvin with you and James Marshall ages ago. Newer...

Hey Sean!  Cool to see you back at it.  I did a training at Ultimate MX in Alvin with you and James Marshall ages ago.

Newer bikes are definitely nice, but I think the carbed CRFs are pretty great still.  Harder to flame out, no herky-jerky throttle response when you crack the throttle, and plenty of grunt and response.  And if the suspension is already set then it's almost a no-brainer.  

Yes I remember exactly who you are dude. I knew we Met at a clinic. I forgot that is the the outlaws and me. Man that night everyone was soo generous to us. The best feeling I ever had I was sitting in my truck counted like 2500$ cash split 50/50. Out law was like that’s bro. Then I handed him my half.  He stared crying. I’m like dude tonight everyone came out for you not. Me or anyone else. This is all love.  I got to do two or three with him then his health declined to much after that unfortunately but at least he’s with Jesus now not suffering anymore 

Post a reply to: 2017 CRF 450. Low hour

The Latest