Educate me on KTM 300XCW

yak651
Fantasy
228th

Had a KTM 500EXCF for a year now. Loving it but want to get something a little more single track worthy. A friend picked up a ‘24 300xcw, let me try it and I really liked it. I’m a little frugal…so not sure if I can justify buying a brand new one. Is the ‘22 TPI model similar or are they are world apart (tbi vs tpi)? Any ideas if KTM will be offering any rebates on these this spring? There is a ‘22 a couple hours from me with low hours, but now I’ve read some issues with the TPI so I’m Leary about getting that?? Feed me some info so I can be more confused!

|
10/31/2023 6:23am
yak651 wrote:
Had a KTM 500EXCF for a year now. Loving it but want to get something a little more single track worthy. A friend picked up a...

Had a KTM 500EXCF for a year now. Loving it but want to get something a little more single track worthy. A friend picked up a ‘24 300xcw, let me try it and I really liked it. I’m a little frugal…so not sure if I can justify buying a brand new one. Is the ‘22 TPI model similar or are they are world apart (tbi vs tpi)? Any ideas if KTM will be offering any rebates on these this spring? There is a ‘22 a couple hours from me with low hours, but now I’ve read some issues with the TPI so I’m Leary about getting that?? Feed me some info so I can be more confused!

TPi works great. I like the previous frame feel more and also the older shock. The new CC fork on the 24 is really good and far superior to the XPLOR on the old frame. TPi is a proven platform and no more issues than the new TBI. Should be great deals on leftover 23 TPi’s. I like the linkage bikes more than PDS but that’s just personal preference. 

YZed250
11/6/2023 9:35am

300XCW is a KTM with PDS and oil/coil spring forks, wide-ratio six speed trans and an e-start. 

First released in this configuration around 2011. There were some XCWs in 2008-2010 but they were only 5 speed. 

They are very similar to a KTM 300XC, like brothers of the same fam, and also very similar to the TE300 TE250 from 2014+ and also very similar to the Gas Gas EX250 EX300 EC250 EC300 from 2021 and onwards. 

I have a 2009 300XC carb and a 2022 EX250 Gas Gas which is TPI. It's a great time to buy a TPI bike, either new or used. 

yak651
Fantasy
228th
3/13/2024 7:42am

Ok getting close to pulling a trigger on a used ‘21 xcw300 with 22 hours. Anything that should keep me from doing this? I know subjective by area of country but approximately what whould this be worth stock except FMF spark arresting silencer?

YZed250
3/13/2024 9:51am
yak651 wrote:
Ok getting close to pulling a trigger on a used ‘21 xcw300 with 22 hours. Anything that should keep me from doing this? I know subjective...

Ok getting close to pulling a trigger on a used ‘21 xcw300 with 22 hours. Anything that should keep me from doing this? I know subjective by area of country but approximately what whould this be worth stock except FMF spark arresting silencer?

They're a great bike!

Little heavier and a little more likely to have a mechanical issues with the injection system versus a pre-mix carb bike. 

Upside is that they rarely give problems and they are excellent on gas (mpg). So you have to carry less gas on the trail ride, and the PDS system is also a weight saver. 

There are some really good trouble-shooting guides if you do have problems, it's most likely going to be a temporary sputter that won't leave you stranded. 

As long as you're mainly riding trails or racing off-road, I'd say go for it. They can be ridden on the mx track, but they will need suspension mods. 

As for the value, assuming everything checks out, I'd say $5k to $6k is a great buy. If you're in the $6k to $7k range, then that's a fair/market price for a local bike (not having to drive >3hrs or buy from another state/ship). 

The Shop

3/13/2024 10:06am

I have never had a TBI bike but I have been around a couple. Depending on how much money you want to spend there are a few things I would do. An injector relocation kit works very well, it moves one injector to the intake and leaves one in the throttle body, it gives the bike the smoothness of a TPI and the power and reliabliltiy of a TBI, slavens makes a kit for $180. Theres also an option to do an oil injector delete and run pre-mix. Slavens also makes a complete race kit called the MULE GET kit that turns it into a complete race motor, comes with a throttle body spacer, injector relocation, custom ECU mapping, and more, this will run you about $1200. And like you said an FMF. 

yak651
Fantasy
228th
3/13/2024 3:48pm
yak651 wrote:
Ok getting close to pulling a trigger on a used ‘21 xcw300 with 22 hours. Anything that should keep me from doing this? I know subjective...

YZed250 wrote:
They're a great bike! Little heavier and a little more likely to have a mechanical issues with the injection system versus a pre-mix carb bike.  Upside...

They're a great bike!

Little heavier and a little more likely to have a mechanical issues with the injection system versus a pre-mix carb bike. 

Upside is that they rarely give problems and they are excellent on gas (mpg). So you have to carry less gas on the trail ride, and the PDS system is also a weight saver. 

There are some really good trouble-shooting guides if you do have problems, it's most likely going to be a temporary sputter that won't leave you stranded. 

As long as you're mainly riding trails or racing off-road, I'd say go for it. They can be ridden on the mx track, but they will need suspension mods. 

As for the value, assuming everything checks out, I'd say $5k to $6k is a great buy. If you're in the $6k to $7k range, then that's a fair/market price for a local bike (not having to drive >3hrs or buy from another state/ship). 

I’m trying to get it for $6.8k. Like the low hours, it’s about 2.5 hours from me, will decide by Friday if I’m going to go check it out Saturday. 

yak651
Fantasy
228th
3/13/2024 3:50pm
I have never had a TBI bike but I have been around a couple. Depending on how much money you want to spend there are a...

I have never had a TBI bike but I have been around a couple. Depending on how much money you want to spend there are a few things I would do. An injector relocation kit works very well, it moves one injector to the intake and leaves one in the throttle body, it gives the bike the smoothness of a TPI and the power and reliabliltiy of a TBI, slavens makes a kit for $180. Theres also an option to do an oil injector delete and run pre-mix. Slavens also makes a complete race kit called the MULE GET kit that turns it into a complete race motor, comes with a throttle body spacer, injector relocation, custom ECU mapping, and more, this will run you about $1200. And like you said an FMF. 

Couple hundred dollars don’t mind sticking into it. $1,200 and I would just pass and wait for a used TBI model.

3/13/2024 5:11pm
I have never had a TBI bike but I have been around a couple. Depending on how much money you want to spend there are a...

yak651 wrote:

Couple hundred dollars don’t mind sticking into it. $1,200 and I would just pass and wait for a used TBI model.

That’s where I’m at. But I would also recommend mixing a little bit of 2-stroke oil into the gas, like 100:1. They tend to run a little lean from the factory. 

3/18/2024 3:00am

yak651 wrote:

That’s where I’m at. But I would also recommend mixing a little bit of 2-stroke oil into the gas, like 100:1. They tend to run a...

That’s where I’m at. But I would also recommend mixing a little bit of 2-stroke oil into the gas, like 100:1. They tend to run a little lean from the factory. 

Lean on fuel or oil? The newer 103/104 maps have tons of oil and the fueling map is actually quite rich compared to the tune on the 2019’s. Oil in the tank helps lube the fuel pump and cut down on debris. A fuel tank sock filter is a no brainer on these bikes. 

Wolfe303
Fantasy
659th
4/3/2024 7:50am

yak651 wrote:

That’s where I’m at. But I would also recommend mixing a little bit of 2-stroke oil into the gas, like 100:1. They tend to run a...

If it is a stock TPI without injector relocation, premixing the fuel at any ratio will do nothing for lubrication. They run lean on fuel not oil.

I have a Husky TE300i, and i absolutely hated the bike in its stock form strictly due to the lean running engine. I missed my YZ so much until i spent the money for the TSP tune. It instantly made me fall in love with the 300, I then later upgraded to the injector relocation from TSP and it became even better. It is pricey, but well worth it IMO, plus i now have the option to run premix, and if I ever need to fill up with straight fuel, I just plug my oil pump back in, prime this system and off I go. I can have it done in just a couple minutes.

4/3/2024 8:27am
yak651 wrote:

Wolfe303 wrote:
If it is a stock TPI without injector relocation, premixing the fuel at any ratio will do nothing for lubrication. They run lean on fuel not...

If it is a stock TPI without injector relocation, premixing the fuel at any ratio will do nothing for lubrication. They run lean on fuel not oil.

I have a Husky TE300i, and i absolutely hated the bike in its stock form strictly due to the lean running engine. I missed my YZ so much until i spent the money for the TSP tune. It instantly made me fall in love with the 300, I then later upgraded to the injector relocation from TSP and it became even better. It is pricey, but well worth it IMO, plus i now have the option to run premix, and if I ever need to fill up with straight fuel, I just plug my oil pump back in, prime this system and off I go. I can have it done in just a couple minutes.

The 20+ TPi maps are not lean on fuel maps. You can safely add a pipe or a head without increasing fuel. This has been backed up many times looking at the fuel maps and also by several tuners including JD and TSP. TSP adds fuel to fatten the bottom and give a big torque bump. 

Post a reply to: Educate me on KTM 300XCW

The Latest