Travis Pastrana to Race the 2023 Daytona 500? - NASCAR Cup Series

Related:
2/4/2023 8:47am
Jdog2221 wrote:

https://dirtcar.com/divisions/modifieds/an-awesome-time-travis-pastrana… He will be in a modified not a late model at volousia 

Modified is still cool but driver talent and late model big hp is far less. He has a chance for a good finish in modified. In 1975 local Lm drivers like jj smith, Mj McBride had 25k racing engines. And got 100% out of them. These boys can drive the wheels off a car. Clay racing is about driver talent. Nascar big names usually don’t want nothing to do with racing them. When they do there in shock when a local drifts past them high or low in a corner. 

lappedrider
2/9/2023 8:37pm
SethGator wrote:
UMP Modified Feature Winner.    

47969B9F-B4D8-4B2C-A8D6-9695A666B7C0

Holy crap! Did he really win? I hadn’t seen the results yet. 

philG
2/10/2023 3:18am
SethGator wrote:

47969B9F-B4D8-4B2C-A8D6-9695A666B7C0

Spoiler alert LOL

Shows you where he is talent wise. 

Those modified guys are not slow, they are just racing to a budget. 

The Shop

SethGator
2/10/2023 5:27am

Sorry about the non spoiler alert. I’m not sure the depth of each individual feature at the nationals. They had 90 entries so multiple feature winners, but I think at the end of the week the driver with the most points earns the big gator overall trophy. Rest of last night was rained out. World of Outlaws have double header today. 

Spoonguy
2/10/2023 5:45am
Spoonguy wrote:
Cool for him, but how old is he? Hasn't his ship sailed as far as this kind of thing? Who is even paying for this? This...

Cool for him, but how old is he? Hasn't his ship sailed as far as this kind of thing? Who is even paying for this? This just seems ridiculous for his Wil E. Coyote schtick.

mimafia wrote:
Not sure about the Wil E Coyote schtick reference. He has multiple rally car championships and raced 42 Nascar Infinity series races with 4 top 10's...

Not sure about the Wil E Coyote schtick reference. He has multiple rally car championships and raced 42 Nascar Infinity series races with 4 top 10's and a pole position at Talladega. Not the best results on pavement but he has a lot of experience. But he still has to qualify which won't be easy. 

I was not saying he lacks talent. By Wil E Coyote schtick, I meant his acclaim and notoriety comes from damaging himself in a lot of the publics eyes. Good or bad, him injuring himself is perhaps why he is most famous to many.

Racerman967
2/15/2023 5:52pm

Travis has qualified on speed tonight and locked into the Daytona 500

2/15/2023 6:37pm

I don’t know a damn thing about nascar, but I didn’t doubt he would qualify when I first saw this thread 

scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
2/15/2023 7:04pm

Since there was no practice before the qualifying runs , this was amazing 

mx317
2/16/2023 3:37am

I’ll have to watch it now. 

mxracer816
Fantasy
2858th
2/16/2023 4:07am

To ANYONE that doubted that Travis would SEND IT, there you go....dude is a LEGEND. GUARANTEE Ken is riding with him.💪

Spoonguy
2/16/2023 5:39am

I've had my doubts, but he did it! Just an absolutely unreal performance, all credit is due, amazing.

lumpy790
2/16/2023 11:18am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2023 11:19am
lumpy790 wrote:

Good read about it here.

CRAZY he qualified doing his 1st lap EVER in a NASCAR car! They had NO PRACTICE get in and go!

https://www.cbssports.com/nascar/news/daytona-500-qualifying-results-al…

Well he has driven a NASCAR car before and tested in this type of car. First lap at Daytona in this car

Yes he raced NASCAR. He has raced NASCAR truck and NASCAR Nationwide series but Never at the top level NASCAR Cup car.

RacerX8
2/16/2023 12:02pm
Falcon wrote:
Is he going to try a backflip over the finish line stripe? 🤦‍♂️😆😆 Best of luck to him. It would be cool to see him get...

Is he going to try a backflip over the finish line stripe? 🤦‍♂️😆😆

Best of luck to him. It would be cool to see him get in.

I was at Daytona the last time he raced there, he crossed the finishline on his roof as you would totally expect from him.

MXMattii
2/16/2023 4:24pm

He's such a beast! You can absolutely ask him to race almost everything, makes you wonder how he would do at the Chili Bowl with some midget experience in front or some other special events such as the Snowball Derby. I hope he is gone be one of the wildcards in the "Thursday Night Thunder: SRX all-star series". On the other hand his life is so busy and still he can jump from Rally towards NASCAR, towards Freestyle, MotoX, Supermoto, ... The freak could probably do the same as Valentino Rossi: battling with the best in GT-racing after just two years of focus on it, and with backing of sketchers (the shoes) he got an professional factory contract with WRT (who used to run the Audi-program but are stolen away by BMW).

PS: Are non of you dreaming from a complete motocross Le Mans or Nordschleiffe 24h or Daytona 24h team or ... team?! Realistic it could be: Pastrana (He has a ton of car racing experiences) - Cairoli - Reed (Both Cairoli and Reed raced the Lamborghini Cup) and Ken Roczen raced the Porsche Carrera Cup. Not to mention guys such as Ricky Carmichael, Ben Townley, Alessandro Lupino, ...

str8line
2/16/2023 6:04pm
MXMattii wrote:
He's such a beast! You can absolutely ask him to race almost everything, makes you wonder how he would do at the Chili Bowl with some...

He's such a beast! You can absolutely ask him to race almost everything, makes you wonder how he would do at the Chili Bowl with some midget experience in front or some other special events such as the Snowball Derby. I hope he is gone be one of the wildcards in the "Thursday Night Thunder: SRX all-star series". On the other hand his life is so busy and still he can jump from Rally towards NASCAR, towards Freestyle, MotoX, Supermoto, ... The freak could probably do the same as Valentino Rossi: battling with the best in GT-racing after just two years of focus on it, and with backing of sketchers (the shoes) he got an professional factory contract with WRT (who used to run the Audi-program but are stolen away by BMW).

PS: Are non of you dreaming from a complete motocross Le Mans or Nordschleiffe 24h or Daytona 24h team or ... team?! Realistic it could be: Pastrana (He has a ton of car racing experiences) - Cairoli - Reed (Both Cairoli and Reed raced the Lamborghini Cup) and Ken Roczen raced the Porsche Carrera Cup. Not to mention guys such as Ricky Carmichael, Ben Townley, Alessandro Lupino, ...

"PS: Are non of you dreaming from a complete motocross Le Mans or Nordschleiffe 24h or Daytona 24h team or ... team?! Realistic it could be: Pastrana (He has a ton of car racing experiences) - Cairoli - Reed (Both Cairoli and Reed raced the Lamborghini Cup) and Ken Roczen raced the Porsche Carrera Cup. Not to mention guys such as Ricky Carmichael, Ben Townley, Alessandro Lupino, ..."

That's a cool idea.

McG194
2/16/2023 7:08pm
MXMattii wrote:
He's such a beast! You can absolutely ask him to race almost everything, makes you wonder how he would do at the Chili Bowl with some...

You're forgetting probably the most qualified, but Jeff Ward may be a bit too long in the tooth. 

lumpy790
2/16/2023 7:28pm

They said TP199 is racing the truck on Saturday too.

Bill_Carroll
Fantasy
745th
2/16/2023 7:28pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2023 7:35pm
McG194 wrote:
I never understood this line of thinking. I love things that go fast period. Even if I don't go out of my way to watch all...

I never understood this line of thinking. I love things that go fast period. Even if I don't go out of my way to watch all NASCAR races, I will always catch the 500. Going fast and making noise is never bad. 

My brother is not a fan of any sport, he is the type of guy who will only attend something if he gets luxury boxes or some sort of great hookup. He absolutely hated NASCAR, but one time he was down here visiting me, and practice was going on, so I took him to the speedway as we walked out of the tunnel at just the right time a pack of 20 cars had a full head of steam and blasted by us. He is still not a fan but having 20 cars go by at 200 mph 10 feet away blew his mind.  

You should have been around during the,  bias ply tire/short track days.

McG194 wrote:
I grew up by a little short track called Mt Clemens Racetrack just north of Detroit. Back in the day (mid 60's) my dad and his...

I grew up by a little short track called Mt Clemens Racetrack just north of Detroit. Back in the day (mid 60's) my dad and his brothers raced there and when a race car was shot they would have a demo derby in the fields behind our house. My pops just missed rookie of the year one year but a guy by the name of Benny Parsons beat him. 

My Father and Uncle raced there, You probably heard of these folks,

Danny Bird,Joe Ruttman Joy Fair.....ect

My Family had a lot of $$$$$ invested in racing since the 50's.  So much so they made it big in Nascar

Flat Rock, Michigan and Toledo,Ohio was their playground from 60's-90's

Mt, Clemens had a weird race where you race one circuit around the big oval then have to do the small oval every other lap... Remember that shit show?

Racerman967
2/16/2023 7:56pm
lumpy790 wrote:

They said TP199 is racing the truck on Saturday too.

He is racing trucks, that race is actually Friday night

h_reed
2/16/2023 8:02pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2023 8:03pm
My Father and Uncle raced there, You probably heard of these folks, Danny Bird,Joe Ruttman Joy Fair.....ect  My Family had a lot of $$$$$ invested in...

My Family had a lot of $$$$$ invested in racing since the 50's.  So much so they made it big in Nascar

Mt, Clemens had a weird race where you race one circuit around the big oval then have to do the small oval every other lap... Remember that shit show?

Well, the last time you replied to one of my comments wasn’t to kind so I’m hesitant to post, but here goes. Ruttman is your uncle if I read it correctly? I love that dude and hope he is well, I miss working with him from the Dodge days in the truck series. Please tell him Harry said hello. 
 As far as TP goes, he is one of the most professional Nascar drivers I have ever worked with. When he would test or race he gave some of the best feedback we ever received. Total professional when it comes down to it. He just likes to do things his own way and I respect it. I like to refer to him as “eclectic “. 

Bill_Carroll
Fantasy
745th
2/16/2023 10:46pm
My Father and Uncle raced there, You probably heard of these folks, Danny Bird,Joe Ruttman Joy Fair.....ect  My Family had a lot of $$$$$ invested in...

h_reed wrote:
Well, the last time you replied to one of my comments wasn’t to kind so I’m hesitant to post, but here goes. Ruttman is your uncle...

Well, the last time you replied to one of my comments wasn’t to kind so I’m hesitant to post, but here goes. Ruttman is your uncle if I read it correctly? I love that dude and hope he is well, I miss working with him from the Dodge days in the truck series. Please tell him Harry said hello. 
 As far as TP goes, he is one of the most professional Nascar drivers I have ever worked with. When he would test or race he gave some of the best feedback we ever received. Total professional when it comes down to it. He just likes to do things his own way and I respect it. I like to refer to him as “eclectic “. 

Sorry Mr Reed,

I do get a touch pissed at times and it bleeds over to other posts.

Please link the post I Offended you and I will try and explain or give you the reason I stated as such?

Far enough?

My Father and Uncle were affiliated with Tracy LeslieBob KeselowskiTim Steele few others but not as much. Frank Kimmel was the star at stealing chassis setups. sending moles over to help then take away there setups. 

Bill Venturini wasn't far behind. The Ironic part is Frank Kimmel and Bill have a lawsuit against one another claiming he stole from him......Or he stole from?

You get the point.

Interested In hearing from you Harry

McG194
2/17/2023 5:23am

You should have been around during the,  bias ply tire/short track days.

McG194 wrote:
I grew up by a little short track called Mt Clemens Racetrack just north of Detroit. Back in the day (mid 60's) my dad and his...

I grew up by a little short track called Mt Clemens Racetrack just north of Detroit. Back in the day (mid 60's) my dad and his brothers raced there and when a race car was shot they would have a demo derby in the fields behind our house. My pops just missed rookie of the year one year but a guy by the name of Benny Parsons beat him. 

I do remember vaguely when they used to race the little oval every other lap and the enduro which was another shitshow.  lol

A friend I had growing up, his dad owned the Toledo Speedway even though they lived by us in the Mt. Clemens area. By the time I was attending the races on my own in high school it seemed like Joy Fair would only occasionally show up, he was touring more it seemed. No sense hitting another local when he could drive 500 miles and make $500 more. lol

McG194
2/17/2023 5:43am

h_reed wrote:
Well, the last time you replied to one of my comments wasn’t to kind so I’m hesitant to post, but here goes. Ruttman is your uncle...

Sorry Mr Reed, I do get a touch pissed at times and it bleeds over to other posts. Please link the post I Offended you and...

Sorry Mr Reed,

Please link the post I Offended you and I will try and explain or give you the reason I stated as such?

Far enough?

My Father and Uncle were affiliated with Tracy LeslieBob KeselowskiTim Steele few others but not as much. Frank Kimmel was the star at stealing chassis setups. sending moles over to help then take away there setups. 

Bill Venturini wasn't far behind. The Ironic part is Frank Kimmel and Bill have a lawsuit against one another claiming he stole from him......Or he stole from?

You get the point.

When I was going a lot, it was Tracy Leslie and Art Summers battling for wins. Fun Mt. Clemens racetrack trivia, Art Summers's son won the lotto at around18 years old for north of $5 million in the 80's and decided to become a NASCAR driver and learned the one racing truism. You can make a small fortune in racing; you just need to start with a large one.  

I remember Jr. Hanley or Dick Trickle would show up occasionally and blow everyone's doors off. Good times. 

One of the coolest things is I probably lived less than 3 miles from that track as the crow flies and in the late 70's to early 80's we didn't have air conditioning so I would sleep with the windows open on the summer nights. Being in the second floor the sound of racecars carried pretty good. I miss hearing that. 

h_reed
2/17/2023 7:48am
Sorry Mr Reed, I do get a touch pissed at times and it bleeds over to other posts. Please link the post I Offended you and...

Sorry Mr Reed,

Far enough?

You get the point.

It’s water under the bridge. By the way, Kimmel is still here. He’s a great dude. Going through tech right now. 
  Back to Travis , to be honest, I won’t be surprised if he’s last and I equally won’t be surprised if he wins on Sunday. He’s capable of both!EEB4E7EC-215E-4E24-80AA-A31D5CAAAF65

lumpy790
2/17/2023 8:43am

I am glad to see that TP199 racing does not conflict with Saturdays SX. Every lap gives him more confidence.

With all of his exposure will a team make an offer for him? 

Post a reply to: Travis Pastrana to Race the 2023 Daytona 500? - NASCAR Cup Series

The Latest