Travis Pastrana to Race the 2023 Daytona 500? - NASCAR Cup Series

Related:
McG194
1/16/2023 7:34am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2023 7:34am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

I like Pastrana, but even that won't get me to watch the cars turn left. 

McG194 wrote:
I never understood this line of thinking. I love things that go fast period. Even if I don't go out of my way to watch all...

I never understood this line of thinking. I love things that go fast period. Even if I don't go out of my way to watch all NASCAR races, I will always catch the 500. Going fast and making noise is never bad. 

My brother is not a fan of any sport, he is the type of guy who will only attend something if he gets luxury boxes or some sort of great hookup. He absolutely hated NASCAR, but one time he was down here visiting me, and practice was going on, so I took him to the speedway as we walked out of the tunnel at just the right time a pack of 20 cars had a full head of steam and blasted by us. He is still not a fan but having 20 cars go by at 200 mph 10 feet away blew his mind.  

You should have been around during the,  bias ply tire/short track days.

I grew up by a little short track called Mt Clemens Racetrack just north of Detroit. Back in the day (mid 60's) my dad and his brothers raced there and when a race car was shot they would have a demo derby in the fields behind our house. My pops just missed rookie of the year one year but a guy by the name of Benny Parsons beat him. 

Munson'd
Fantasy
1099th
1/16/2023 7:41am

The fact you think that is why he picked that username makes you look like a real fucking idiot.

Sandusky26
1/16/2023 7:51am

Black baggy MX gear and a CR250. That's the exact demographic Nascar went after.

Layton
1/16/2023 8:28am

Just because Pastrana is entered in the race there is no guarantee that he will actually race in the 500. 
He first has to qualify through one of the twin 150 races on Thursday. That’s not often easy. 

The Shop

McG194
1/16/2023 8:37am
Layton wrote:
Just because Pastrana is entered in the race there is no guarantee that he will actually race in the 500.  He first has to qualify through...

Just because Pastrana is entered in the race there is no guarantee that he will actually race in the 500. 
He first has to qualify through one of the twin 150 races on Thursday. That’s not often easy. 

So, he probably won't get any publicity until he actually qualifies and is running in the top 10 in the race. Until then he's just another scrub no one will care about. 

Layton
1/16/2023 8:48am
McG194 wrote:
So, he probably won't get any publicity until he actually qualifies and is running in the top 10 in the race. Until then he's just another...

So, he probably won't get any publicity until he actually qualifies and is running in the top 10 in the race. Until then he's just another scrub no one will care about. 

Travis being who he is will probably get some attention. No doubt about that. 

motomike137
1/16/2023 8:59am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2023 9:02am
Indy mxer wrote:
My wife and I have been a NASCAR fans since the early 90's. I'm also a life long, hardcore mx/sx fan. But I like and watch...

My wife and I have been a NASCAR fans since the early 90's. I'm also a life long, hardcore mx/sx fan. But I like and watch many forms of racing.

Nascar racing has never been better and more intense than it is now. Largely due to the playoffs and the new car. No more just cruising around logging laps. Drivers scrap for every point, and last year they had a record number of different winners. 

And the sport isn't just for old white guys anymore. Michael Jordan and Pitbull are both owners now and many of the drivers are under 30, more than a few under 25. It still draws the highest ratings of any US motorsport.

I'm excited to see what TP 199 can do. I'd love to see him in Nascar again.

I'm on the same page as you here but as you can see most of our two wheeled brethren live in a vacuum where only dirt bikes qualify for their interest. It's a shame really seeing that one of the three GOATs of the sport cut his teeth racing motocross.

motomike137
1/16/2023 9:01am
Layton wrote:
Just because Pastrana is entered in the race there is no guarantee that he will actually race in the 500.  He first has to qualify through...

McG194 wrote:
So, he probably won't get any publicity until he actually qualifies and is running in the top 10 in the race. Until then he's just another...

I beg to differ. He will get talked about.

Chatmore
1/16/2023 9:53am

I wish him well. Still of the most exciting Mx/sx riders EVER to watch. I believe he was very close friends with Ken Block. Im sure he was/is devastated about his death. 

philG
1/16/2023 10:16am
wwdiii wrote:
NASCAR was off the charts in the 90’s and even into the early 2000’s.  It’s nothing like it once was.  I was a NASCAR freak years...

NASCAR was off the charts in the 90’s and even into the early 2000’s.  It’s nothing like it once was.  I was a NASCAR freak years back.  I seldom even watch it anymore.  

Yeah into the 2000,s it was Huge. A real spectacle. Now Indy cars is where the Best racing is.  Strange that the oldest track in the...

Yeah into the 2000,s it was Huge. A real spectacle. Now Indy cars is where the Best racing is.  Strange that the oldest track in the country The Milwaukee mile is such a failure. 

Indy mxer wrote:
My wife and I have been a NASCAR fans since the early 90's. I'm also a life long, hardcore mx/sx fan. But I like and watch...

My wife and I have been a NASCAR fans since the early 90's. I'm also a life long, hardcore mx/sx fan. But I like and watch many forms of racing.

Nascar racing has never been better and more intense than it is now. Largely due to the playoffs and the new car. No more just cruising around logging laps. Drivers scrap for every point, and last year they had a record number of different winners. 

And the sport isn't just for old white guys anymore. Michael Jordan and Pitbull are both owners now and many of the drivers are under 30, more than a few under 25. It still draws the highest ratings of any US motorsport.

I'm excited to see what TP 199 can do. I'd love to see him in Nascar again.

Play offs suck. 

In every sport. 

McG194
1/16/2023 2:36pm
Layton wrote:

McG194 wrote:

I beg to differ. He will get talked about.

I was obviously being hugely sarcastic. He will be one of the biggest stories of Speedweeks. NASCAR being NASCAR, I wouldn't be shocked if he gets a lil bit larger restrictor plate. 

Travis has a huge following and NASCAR can't wait to get the hype train rolling. The perfect storm for the NASCAR marketing arm would be Travis and Hallie Deegan (I know she's not scheduled to race the 500) sitting on the front row. 

motomike137
1/16/2023 3:25pm
McG194 wrote:
I was obviously being hugely sarcastic. He will be one of the biggest stories of Speedweeks. NASCAR being NASCAR, I wouldn't be shocked if he gets...

I was obviously being hugely sarcastic. He will be one of the biggest stories of Speedweeks. NASCAR being NASCAR, I wouldn't be shocked if he gets a lil bit larger restrictor plate. 

Travis has a huge following and NASCAR can't wait to get the hype train rolling. The perfect storm for the NASCAR marketing arm would be Travis and Hallie Deegan (I know she's not scheduled to race the 500) sitting on the front row. 

That's cool. sarcasm is hard to detect from behind my keyboard. He will get talked about some leading up to the race. If he makes it in he will get mentioned a couple of times at most unless he manages to be truly competitive which I highly doubt.

Shredder
Fantasy
1242nd
1/17/2023 12:49pm
Layton wrote:

I'm pretty sure the top 2 on speed in qualifying get in before the 150s even are held. Qualifying determines your start position for the 150s and your finish in the 150s determines your start position for the 500. The top 2 in qualifying make up the front row as long as they don't wad up the car in the 150, regardless where they finish. At least that's how they used to do it.

ML512
Fantasy
54th
1/17/2023 1:22pm

I wish I could say I'm surprised by the users that turn this thread into a shit show, but I'm not. Same cast as always...

AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
1/17/2023 7:03pm
ML512 wrote:

I wish I could say I'm surprised by the users that turn this thread into a shit show, but I'm not. Same cast as always...

^^This^^

I can't help but think the negative folks posting on this topic must live pretty miserable lives to not be happy for an icon like TP doing this.

There are a lot of talented, young drivers that don't have the money or name collateral to drive at the highest level of NASCAR.

Looking forward to TP doing well. What he may lack in skill on a superspeedway, he will make up with true desire to compete for a win.

philG
2/1/2023 2:15pm

Pastrana will be in a Longhorn Dirt Late Model at Volusia soon, will be liveried up the same as his Cup car . 

tp dlm 0.PNG?VersionId=xt4gfW7qaNj8nEN

Buckland
2/2/2023 5:52am
philG wrote:
Pastrana will be in a Longhorn Dirt Late Model at Volusia soon, will be liveried up the same as his Cup car .   

Any info on which LM class/night he'll be racing? I'm just down the road and planning on hitting a night or two regardless.

2/2/2023 7:48am
philG wrote:

Dirt late model is the coolest. In Wisconsin the home of the worlds 1st auto race in the 1800,s 1st price was 10k. A few yrs ago they raced 6 nights a week. They still race 4 nights a week. A few nascar guys tried the bigger races & got smoked by the locals. Clay oval racing is really big now, people Love it. These boys can drive . In a battle & off the race line they stomp the gas & pitch the back out then drift threw the corner lifting the front left wheel in the air on the exit. Mid 70,s was exciting the grand stands where packed with the crowd on there feet. 

McG194
2/2/2023 8:12am

Any bets on if Travis has sold advertising space on the undercarriage of his Late Model?  

Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
2/3/2023 10:54am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2023 10:54am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Sandusky26 wrote:

Nascar in the 90's was badass.

wwdiii wrote:
NASCAR was off the charts in the 90’s and even into the early 2000’s.  It’s nothing like it once was.  I was a NASCAR freak years...

NASCAR was off the charts in the 90’s and even into the early 2000’s.  It’s nothing like it once was.  I was a NASCAR freak years back.  I seldom even watch it anymore.  

Same here.  Liked it in the 80's and early 90's.  Haven't watched a race in 10+ years.  May watch a race if Pastrana is in it...or I'll try.

2/3/2023 4:49pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

McG194 wrote:
I never understood this line of thinking. I love things that go fast period. Even if I don't go out of my way to watch all...

I never understood this line of thinking. I love things that go fast period. Even if I don't go out of my way to watch all NASCAR races, I will always catch the 500. Going fast and making noise is never bad. 

My brother is not a fan of any sport, he is the type of guy who will only attend something if he gets luxury boxes or some sort of great hookup. He absolutely hated NASCAR, but one time he was down here visiting me, and practice was going on, so I took him to the speedway as we walked out of the tunnel at just the right time a pack of 20 cars had a full head of steam and blasted by us. He is still not a fan but having 20 cars go by at 200 mph 10 feet away blew his mind.  

We built cars/engines for a guy that ran the dash series for several years in the late 80s.   The Cup cars were impressive from the infield, but I didn't really appreciate the speed until I watched the Busch Clash in 87 from the back straight stands.    Elliott and Waltrip were drafting well over 200 mph.    Stand next to the wall and watch cars come by a few feet away at 205+.   It will change the perception of "these guys just turn left" very quickly.   

SEEMEFIRST
2/3/2023 5:57pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

McG194 wrote:

We built cars/engines for a guy that ran the dash series for several years in the late 80s.   The Cup cars were impressive from the infield...

We built cars/engines for a guy that ran the dash series for several years in the late 80s.   The Cup cars were impressive from the infield, but I didn't really appreciate the speed until I watched the Busch Clash in 87 from the back straight stands.    Elliott and Waltrip were drafting well over 200 mph.    Stand next to the wall and watch cars come by a few feet away at 205+.   It will change the perception of "these guys just turn left" very quickly.   

Yessir.

I got the opportunity to fill in for crash truck twice on rain-outs.

My brother runs one out of turn 3 at TMS.

Have one or two of those go by you as you sit in the back, your truck going about 85, and they're going 175.

It's mind blowing. 

Jdog2221
2/3/2023 6:55pm
philG wrote:
Yeah, i just rewatched the video, and i took it to mean that he had already driven a modified , but i assumed it didnt have...

Yeah, i just rewatched the video, and i took it to mean that he had already driven a modified , but i assumed it didnt have the nose on under the cover. 

Seeing as i'm from the UK, i should get a pass for that. 

Was that from the hunt the front video?

mimafia
Fantasy
2688th
2/4/2023 8:23am
Spoonguy wrote:
Cool for him, but how old is he? Hasn't his ship sailed as far as this kind of thing? Who is even paying for this? This...

Cool for him, but how old is he? Hasn't his ship sailed as far as this kind of thing? Who is even paying for this? This just seems ridiculous for his Wil E. Coyote schtick.

Not sure about the Wil E Coyote schtick reference. He has multiple rally car championships and raced 42 Nascar Infinity series races with 4 top 10's and a pole position at Talladega. Not the best results on pavement but he has a lot of experience. But he still has to qualify which won't be easy. 

philG
2/4/2023 8:40am
philG wrote:
Yeah, i just rewatched the video, and i took it to mean that he had already driven a modified , but i assumed it didnt have...

Yeah, i just rewatched the video, and i took it to mean that he had already driven a modified , but i assumed it didnt have the nose on under the cover. 

Seeing as i'm from the UK, i should get a pass for that. 

Jdog2221 wrote:

Yes, it was. 

Post a reply to: Travis Pastrana to Race the 2023 Daytona 500? - NASCAR Cup Series

The Latest