TM 144 (125) Ride Reviews

blackdiamond
1/24/2023 12:51pm
burn1986 wrote:

Good catch Graybeard. It helps to read the ad lol.

Sine it’s a 125 modified to a 144, I would pass (for that price).

BobPA wrote:
The owner said it started life as a 144. I pm'd the original owner but have not heard a response. I want to double check this...

The owner said it started life as a 144. I pm'd the original owner but have not heard a response. I want to double check this as well. 

Graybeard wrote:

Excellent!

I am 99.99% sure that bike was purchased by the original owner as a 144.

The 144 is only a few hundred bucks more MSRP so it wouldn't make much sense to buy a 125 and spend a ton of money to mod it to a 144.

burn1986
1/24/2023 12:59pm
Graybeard wrote:
Don’t know if it matters, but it’s not the TM144, it’s the 125 with a Tom Morgan 144 mod. I have an older TM125 I can...

Don’t know if it matters, but it’s not the TM144, it’s the 125 with a Tom Morgan 144 mod. I have an older TM125 I can race in Vintage races, what a blast!

burn1986 wrote:

BobPA wrote:
The owner said it started life as a 144. I pm'd the original owner but have not heard a response. I want to double check this...

The owner said it started life as a 144. I pm'd the original owner but have not heard a response. I want to double check this as well. 

If it started life as a 144, hopefully nothing has been done to it. 

yz133rider
1/24/2023 4:06pm
burn1986 wrote:

BobPA wrote:

burn1986 wrote:

If it started life as a 144, hopefully nothing has been done to it. 

I talk with the original owner regularly. It started life as a 144.

BobPA
1/24/2023 4:13pm
yz133rider wrote:

I talk with the original owner regularly. It started life as a 144.

Thanks, he has built some beautiful bikes. I remember his Suzuki in a thread a few years ago. 

The Shop

ratonmacias
1/24/2023 4:47pm

how tall is it compared to a ´21 or ´22 yz 125?

1/24/2023 4:54pm
I did just that before I bought my TM's and I found most parts were more readily available than KTM and in most cases cheaper as...

I did just that before I bought my TM's and I found most parts were more readily available than KTM and in most cases cheaper as well.

The engine parts that are really expensive: Cylinders and cases.

If you don't need those, you have nothing to worry about. 

Larry450 wrote:
Yep. Cranks are expensive too. Con rods are not bad. Running 2-stroke without a catastrophic failure is somewhat cheap. 4-stroke TMs might the most expensive dirtbikes...

Yep. Cranks are expensive too. Con rods are not bad.

Running 2-stroke without a catastrophic failure is somewhat cheap.

4-stroke TMs might the most expensive dirtbikes to rebuild. You can get spare engines though Smile

I am pretty sure the 250 uses the same rod as a CR 250. 

And frame geometry but most bikes copied that. 

Rickyisms
1/24/2023 5:00pm

I’ve always wanted to ride a TM. Watched a kid at Dade city MX years ago shred one all by himself on the track. It was bone stock and sounded throatier and meaner than my PC worked KTM. Had a soft spot for them ever since. 

studworx
1/24/2023 5:41pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2023 5:43pm

Had a 09 125, 14 144 and 19 144 (still have).

They are solid, reliable bikes. Most parts are reasonable unless it's electronic or a cylinder, crank, oem rod. Clutches really cheap.

They aren't the rocket ships everyone makes them out to be, but they are strong motors. A 150SX has a ton more bottom and mid, and the TM probably has a bit more up top.

Chassis is very rigid, suspension good. You don't get the nice caged bearings KTM has but that's whatever. The fancy zinc plated bolts are cool and all but they lose their coating fast and look beat. Happened on all 3 I've had

Funny people here say tall? My 19 is inches shorter than any other bike I've had

werner822
1/24/2023 7:39pm
studworx wrote:
Had a 09 125, 14 144 and 19 144 (still have). They are solid, reliable bikes. Most parts are reasonable unless it's electronic or a cylinder...

Had a 09 125, 14 144 and 19 144 (still have).

They are solid, reliable bikes. Most parts are reasonable unless it's electronic or a cylinder, crank, oem rod. Clutches really cheap.

They aren't the rocket ships everyone makes them out to be, but they are strong motors. A 150SX has a ton more bottom and mid, and the TM probably has a bit more up top.

Chassis is very rigid, suspension good. You don't get the nice caged bearings KTM has but that's whatever. The fancy zinc plated bolts are cool and all but they lose their coating fast and look beat. Happened on all 3 I've had

Funny people here say tall? My 19 is inches shorter than any other bike I've had

My dad has a modded 17 KTM 150 with a 17:1 head by rk tec, boyseen power wings both sides matched with a kehin carb, a 125sxs igniton and a full doma exhaust , and this tm that I had would pull it up top with authority now bottom to lower mid you are right but upper mid and top the true stroked 144 is better 

I currently have Jesse Williams modded 2006 cr151 stroker motor, bike I believe is the fastest small bore I’ve ever ridden but is a mid and up ripper and  is a full modded 6-8 hour piston motor. 

If I would have kept the tm 144 I would have valved the suspension great stuff stock but add a tad more compliance with more bottoming resistance . I am out of shape A rider, motor was near perfect I ran it on mrx02 noticed gains there but besides that 50/50 race pump it runs better on then straight c12 the tm motors are not super high compression like your typical jap or KTM mod motors. Modded or stock they just don’t respond to compression like the others do. 

that tm started out as a 144 bought it new , did the pc silencer and igntion 2 best mods , then did the porting helped with jetting a lot and more mid and up power , then did the jesse Williams carb mod sharpened everything up kind of when you go from stock reeds to a boyseen or v force setup . Overall motor flat ass rips and I’ve had over 30 125 and 150’s 6 of which were modded and this tm is top 2 fastest bikes I’ve ridden . I’m sure a full modded KTM 150 might take it with ignition and porting etc but it won’t flow as good as the true stroker motors imo 

BobPA
1/24/2023 7:48pm
werner822 wrote:
My dad has a modded 17 KTM 150 with a 17:1 head by rk tec, boyseen power wings both sides matched with a kehin carb, a...

My dad has a modded 17 KTM 150 with a 17:1 head by rk tec, boyseen power wings both sides matched with a kehin carb, a 125sxs igniton and a full doma exhaust , and this tm that I had would pull it up top with authority now bottom to lower mid you are right but upper mid and top the true stroked 144 is better 

I currently have Jesse Williams modded 2006 cr151 stroker motor, bike I believe is the fastest small bore I’ve ever ridden but is a mid and up ripper and  is a full modded 6-8 hour piston motor. 

If I would have kept the tm 144 I would have valved the suspension great stuff stock but add a tad more compliance with more bottoming resistance . I am out of shape A rider, motor was near perfect I ran it on mrx02 noticed gains there but besides that 50/50 race pump it runs better on then straight c12 the tm motors are not super high compression like your typical jap or KTM mod motors. Modded or stock they just don’t respond to compression like the others do. 

that tm started out as a 144 bought it new , did the pc silencer and igntion 2 best mods , then did the porting helped with jetting a lot and more mid and up power , then did the jesse Williams carb mod sharpened everything up kind of when you go from stock reeds to a boyseen or v force setup . Overall motor flat ass rips and I’ve had over 30 125 and 150’s 6 of which were modded and this tm is top 2 fastest bikes I’ve ridden . I’m sure a full modded KTM 150 might take it with ignition and porting etc but it won’t flow as good as the true stroker motors imo 

Thanks for the info, I am waiting to hear back about buying my old KX125. If he does not want to sell it, I believe the TM will be mine. 

Sidenote: I put a bunch of money into my old 2003 KX125, U4.4, big compression, Derrick Harris porting, etc. and it ran well. Then I rode a 2019 KTM 125 with a pipe and it was faster...kinda disheartening. 

werner822
1/24/2023 8:33pm
werner822 wrote:
My dad has a modded 17 KTM 150 with a 17:1 head by rk tec, boyseen power wings both sides matched with a kehin carb, a...

BobPA wrote:
Thanks for the info, I am waiting to hear back about buying my old KX125. If he does not want to sell it, I believe the...

Thanks for the info, I am waiting to hear back about buying my old KX125. If he does not want to sell it, I believe the TM will be mine. 

Sidenote: I put a bunch of money into my old 2003 KX125, U4.4, big compression, Derrick Harris porting, etc. and it ran well. Then I rode a 2019 KTM 125 with a pipe and it was faster...kinda disheartening. 

You are welcome 

the 04-05 kx125 with same mods is night and day faster then the 03 but is hard to beat older jap vs updated ktm’s

Post a reply to: TM 144 (125) Ride Reviews

The Latest

The Latest