New bike day - Stark Varg has arrived!!!!

ToolMaker
Posts
7010
Joined
11/19/2011
Location
Escondido, CA US
Fantasy
1231st
5/24/2023 4:42pm

Lets not get too crazy. Moto community knows it as a throttle. It still makes sense. IMO, lets keep it that way.

Falcon wrote:
I feel qualified to interject on this subject. Look at the final definition in this list. Sense three calls out bandwidth, but the implication is the...

I feel qualified to interject on this subject. Look at the final definition in this list. Sense three calls out bandwidth, but the implication is the same: Throttles restrict not only gasoline, but anything flowing through a system. This could easily be applied to electrons flowing through an open DC circuit. We can confidently still call it a throttle. (Just can't say, "give it gas" anymore!!)

 

1

a(1)

to compress the throat of CHOKE

(2)

to kill by such action

bto prevent or check expression or activity of SUPPRESS

policies that throttle creativity

cUS, informal to defeat easily or completely

The Jets went to Miami and throttled the Dolphins.—Judy Battista

2

a

to decrease the flow of (something, such as steam or fuel to an engine) by a valve

b

to regulate and especially to reduce the speed of (something, such as an engine) by such means

c

to vary the thrust of (a rocket engine) during flight

3

to limit or reduce (the bandwidth available to users of an electronic communication system, such as the Internet) to subject to throttling (see THROTTLING sense 2)

The company throttles data access for customers who use a lot of data during moments of network congestion …—Matt Day

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

Which is why the term "Full Throttle" is stupid.

That literally means completely shut off.  "Wide Open" still works nicely.

"Which is why the term "Full Throttle" is stupid."

But why do you go out in the ocean? And then you come in to shore?

1
yota
Posts
1430
Joined
6/23/2008
Location
Crystal River, FL US
5/24/2023 6:44pm

now I've started scrolling past all the crap to find Bryans next post like another poster stated earlier.  much nicer.

16
2

The Shop

Last Braaap
Posts
1558
Joined
4/19/2019
Location
Somewhere over the rainbow CZ
Fantasy
4771st
5/25/2023 5:59am
GrapeApe wrote:

It was a rhetorical question.

Just for full disclosure I am not actually a purple cartoon ape.

remote image

1
Falcon
Posts
10433
Joined
11/16/2011
Location
Menifee, CA US
Fantasy
467th
5/25/2023 7:45am

Lets not get too crazy. Moto community knows it as a throttle. It still makes sense. IMO, lets keep it that way.

Falcon wrote:
I feel qualified to interject on this subject. Look at the final definition in this list. Sense three calls out bandwidth, but the implication is the...

I feel qualified to interject on this subject. Look at the final definition in this list. Sense three calls out bandwidth, but the implication is the same: Throttles restrict not only gasoline, but anything flowing through a system. This could easily be applied to electrons flowing through an open DC circuit. We can confidently still call it a throttle. (Just can't say, "give it gas" anymore!!)

 

1

a(1)

to compress the throat of CHOKE

(2)

to kill by such action

bto prevent or check expression or activity of SUPPRESS

policies that throttle creativity

cUS, informal to defeat easily or completely

The Jets went to Miami and throttled the Dolphins.—Judy Battista

2

a

to decrease the flow of (something, such as steam or fuel to an engine) by a valve

b

to regulate and especially to reduce the speed of (something, such as an engine) by such means

c

to vary the thrust of (a rocket engine) during flight

3

to limit or reduce (the bandwidth available to users of an electronic communication system, such as the Internet) to subject to throttling (see THROTTLING sense 2)

The company throttles data access for customers who use a lot of data during moments of network congestion …—Matt Day

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

Which is why the term "Full Throttle" is stupid.

That literally means completely shut off.  "Wide Open" still works nicely.

Ah, you're a literalist. I knew there was a reason I liked you. Grinning

BRAAAAAAP
Posts
14
Joined
11/29/2018
Location
NL
5/25/2023 9:07am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2023 1:35pm
   
 

 

Phew a few riders didnt expect you to be where you were, because lack of sound. 

Thats actually good to keep in mind when more of these are gonna hit the track.

2
1
BBA
Posts
264
Joined
3/6/2011
Location
somewhere, NC US
5/25/2023 9:26am

Must be weird for the riders you pass since you're pretty stealthy coming up to them. The bad thing is like the mini rider you were trying to get by. He had no idea you were there and didn't know to give you room. 

2
JK BRO
Posts
305
Joined
7/29/2021
Location
Oroville, CA US
Fantasy
2038th
5/25/2023 10:06am

This is cool and all but do any other pre-order customers get their bikes soon?

Stark trying to create some FOMO by trickling media and bikes into consumer hands?

2
vdrsnk04
Posts
1237
Joined
9/5/2018
Location
IL US
Fantasy
4707th
5/25/2023 11:19am
BBA wrote:
Must be weird for the riders you pass since you're pretty stealthy coming up to them. The bad thing is like the mini rider you were...

Must be weird for the riders you pass since you're pretty stealthy coming up to them. The bad thing is like the mini rider you were trying to get by. He had no idea you were there and didn't know to give you room. 

That’s a bit far fetched. Mini riders don’t ever hardly move even with more noise because they just don’t either know, or are just not paying attention.

1
5
5/25/2023 11:39am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2023 11:42am
BBA wrote:
Must be weird for the riders you pass since you're pretty stealthy coming up to them. The bad thing is like the mini rider you were...

Must be weird for the riders you pass since you're pretty stealthy coming up to them. The bad thing is like the mini rider you were trying to get by. He had no idea you were there and didn't know to give you room. 

vdrsnk04 wrote:
That’s a bit far fetched. Mini riders don’t ever hardly move even with more noise because they just don’t either know, or are just not paying...

That’s a bit far fetched. Mini riders don’t ever hardly move even with more noise because they just don’t either know, or are just not paying attention.

Man theres nothing that grinds my gears more than when people roll jumps in the CENTER of the track or in the "main" line without looking behind them first. Like skiing, its usually the person in front that has the right of way, but in motocross it creates one of the most dangerous situations you can be in. Mini riders do it alot, but ive seen my fare share of adult riders do it as well. I usually try to make a point to nicely talk to the person if it happens infront of me, because id love to see this change as a culture on the track. Im not the fastest guy out there, but i can get around pro tracks pretty well. I need to roll from time to time but ALWAYS make sure im either looking behind me or rolling outside of the main line to avoid getting landed on and not to hinder riders in their groove mid moto. We just all need to do better as a community in this regard. Thats why intry not to get pissed about it and channel that energy to try to correct the situation for future prevention and hopefuly lasting change. Especially as people start getting their Vargs this is going to become a huge issue i suspect... we need to be aware of it and prevent it from happening collectively through behavior and track etiquette. 

9
3
ToolMaker
Posts
7010
Joined
11/19/2011
Location
Escondido, CA US
Fantasy
1231st
5/25/2023 11:46am
BBA wrote:
Must be weird for the riders you pass since you're pretty stealthy coming up to them. The bad thing is like the mini rider you were...

Must be weird for the riders you pass since you're pretty stealthy coming up to them. The bad thing is like the mini rider you were trying to get by. He had no idea you were there and didn't know to give you room. 

vdrsnk04 wrote:
That’s a bit far fetched. Mini riders don’t ever hardly move even with more noise because they just don’t either know, or are just not paying...

That’s a bit far fetched. Mini riders don’t ever hardly move even with more noise because they just don’t either know, or are just not paying attention.

Man theres nothing that grinds my gears more than when people roll jumps in the CENTER of the track or in the "main" line without looking...

Man theres nothing that grinds my gears more than when people roll jumps in the CENTER of the track or in the "main" line without looking behind them first. Like skiing, its usually the person in front that has the right of way, but in motocross it creates one of the most dangerous situations you can be in. Mini riders do it alot, but ive seen my fare share of adult riders do it as well. I usually try to make a point to nicely talk to the person if it happens infront of me, because id love to see this change as a culture on the track. Im not the fastest guy out there, but i can get around pro tracks pretty well. I need to roll from time to time but ALWAYS make sure im either looking behind me or rolling outside of the main line to avoid getting landed on and not to hinder riders in their groove mid moto. We just all need to do better as a community in this regard. Thats why intry not to get pissed about it and channel that energy to try to correct the situation for future prevention and hopefuly lasting change. Especially as people start getting their Vargs this is going to become a huge issue i suspect... we need to be aware of it and prevent it from happening collectively through behavior and track etiquette. 

How do you feel about a guy that's not fast enough to triple but will double in the center?

3
OleTex
Posts
659
Joined
7/16/2016
Location
Central, TX US
5/25/2023 12:16pm

Nice bike and thank you for the updates and videos. Very cool. 

zookrider62!
Posts
6094
Joined
12/22/2008
Location
Plano, TX US
Fantasy
227th
5/25/2023 12:21pm

@theycallmeebryan  With the bike being shipped directly to you, do you have to pay the shipping or is it included in the price? Does Stark plan on being in showrooms anytime soon?

early
Posts
8519
Joined
2/13/2013
Location
University Heights, OH US
Fantasy
2424th
5/25/2023 12:29pm
BBA wrote:
Must be weird for the riders you pass since you're pretty stealthy coming up to them. The bad thing is like the mini rider you were...

Must be weird for the riders you pass since you're pretty stealthy coming up to them. The bad thing is like the mini rider you were trying to get by. He had no idea you were there and didn't know to give you room. 

No joke, all electric vehicles should have a horn.

4
mxaaron
Posts
469
Joined
12/4/2007
Location
Richland , WA US
5/25/2023 12:39pm

I wear ear plugs on my 450's, and I think I'd wear them on that thing too. That sounds terrible. But it is the future and we're going to need to be getting accustomed to that. 

 

I was chasing a guy on an Alta one time, and was excited to see how it accelerated.  He was a decent rider and I was chasing him and he shut off and I about rear ended him.  That's when I went from chasing him to wanting to be no where near him on the track.  When he was behind me, it freaked me out too.

 

It's going to be interesting on a track with a split of combustion and electric bikes. 

5
Magoofan
Posts
7356
Joined
5/4/2021
Location
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
5/25/2023 2:22pm

Video of the Varg thru the whoops...

 

 

 

21
BBA
Posts
264
Joined
3/6/2011
Location
somewhere, NC US
5/25/2023 3:32pm
Man theres nothing that grinds my gears more than when people roll jumps in the CENTER of the track or in the "main" line without looking...

Man theres nothing that grinds my gears more than when people roll jumps in the CENTER of the track or in the "main" line without looking behind them first. Like skiing, its usually the person in front that has the right of way, but in motocross it creates one of the most dangerous situations you can be in. Mini riders do it alot, but ive seen my fare share of adult riders do it as well. I usually try to make a point to nicely talk to the person if it happens infront of me, because id love to see this change as a culture on the track. Im not the fastest guy out there, but i can get around pro tracks pretty well. I need to roll from time to time but ALWAYS make sure im either looking behind me or rolling outside of the main line to avoid getting landed on and not to hinder riders in their groove mid moto. We just all need to do better as a community in this regard. Thats why intry not to get pissed about it and channel that energy to try to correct the situation for future prevention and hopefuly lasting change. Especially as people start getting their Vargs this is going to become a huge issue i suspect... we need to be aware of it and prevent it from happening collectively through behavior and track etiquette. 

Yeah I wasn't trying to make an argument started with my post about being stealthy when you passed the mini rider, I was just noting that without the noticeable engine sounds coming from the Varg it will create situations where you may get cut off when a rider doesn't have a clue you are there. I guess over time when more of the EC bikes are out there, people may start to figure out a system of keeping a look out. 

Chippy
Posts
181
Joined
11/18/2019
Location
Santa Cruz, CA US
5/25/2023 4:32pm

$100 downpayment with delivery to the US in Dec 2024. Wonder if that date improves or pushed back if a deposit was placed right now.

2
5/25/2023 7:00pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2023 7:01pm

@theycallmeebryan can you say anything about Stark's production line?

I assume they are still ramping up.

I have no idea what's going on over there right now. I'm just a customer. They just had what seems like a bunch of sales reps there, so i bet theyre planning on getting bikes in the hands of reps/dealers soon. But just speculating.

1
5
Cobbler
Posts
432
Joined
3/13/2023
Location
cairo, IL US
5/25/2023 7:11pm

I'm not trolling serious question.. but Bryan do you think it will be hard to race these? We ride so much based off of sound and what we can hear behind us and in front of us (hearing someone let off the throttle). Do you think these are going to be more dangerous to race against eachother?

2
6
Falcon
Posts
10433
Joined
11/16/2011
Location
Menifee, CA US
Fantasy
467th
5/25/2023 7:31pm

^ Cobbler, I think it will definitely be different. If more dangerous, it will be worse for the Stark rider who comes up unheard from behind. (I can imagine an ICE rider cutting the Stark off unintentionally.) Also, a dive-bomb block pass from a Stark will be that much more of a surprise, so there's that. 

I'm sure we'll all learn to adapt and a "sixth sense" will evolve around quiet bikes, the same way it already has around louder ones. We'll look for shadows, listen for the clack of chains against chain guides, and watch the pack a little more closely on opposing straights. It would be sportsmanlike for electric bike riders to make their presence known also, as Bryan did for the mini in his video. 

1
1
kpiper
Posts
2274
Joined
3/20/2019
Location
AZ US
5/25/2023 7:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2023 7:40pm

Cool bike! Thanks for sharing so much about it. I put a deposit on two of them long ago. BUT the lack of noise is going to be a problem for racing. There is just no denying it. They will need a 'racing noise' mode. Sure it can be done easily.

2
Fog 25
Posts
157
Joined
6/25/2016
Location
Castaic, CA US
Fantasy
703rd
5/25/2023 7:40pm
Cobbler wrote:
I'm not trolling serious question.. but Bryan do you think it will be hard to race these? We ride so much based off of sound and...

I'm not trolling serious question.. but Bryan do you think it will be hard to race these? We ride so much based off of sound and what we can hear behind us and in front of us (hearing someone let off the throttle). Do you think these are going to be more dangerous to race against eachother?

When racing an electric bike you have to be super careful when following or trying to pass a rider in front of you because they do not know you are there. The same in practice. They will come over on you not knowing that you’re even there. Had four different counters in one moto.  Had some fellow competitors complain about following my Alta because they can’t hear when you accelerate out of a corner messing up their timing. 
 

1
Cobbler
Posts
432
Joined
3/13/2023
Location
cairo, IL US
5/25/2023 7:42pm
Falcon wrote:
^ Cobbler, I think it will definitely be different. If more dangerous, it will be worse for the Stark rider who comes up unheard from behind...

^ Cobbler, I think it will definitely be different. If more dangerous, it will be worse for the Stark rider who comes up unheard from behind. (I can imagine an ICE rider cutting the Stark off unintentionally.) Also, a dive-bomb block pass from a Stark will be that much more of a surprise, so there's that. 

I'm sure we'll all learn to adapt and a "sixth sense" will evolve around quiet bikes, the same way it already has around louder ones. We'll look for shadows, listen for the clack of chains against chain guides, and watch the pack a little more closely on opposing straights. It would be sportsmanlike for electric bike riders to make their presence known also, as Bryan did for the mini in his video. 

That is kind of my big question mark. If I cant hear it, it isn't there. I hardly ever look back. I'm no pro but if I get passed on a practice days it's not like the doors are blown off.. I just hold my lines and sweep across the track a little less. This is prompted by hearing the person though. I could totally see someone jumping completely across the track because they think they're alone and it's basically beyblades in real life at that point. idk. I feel like the fake noise thing is totally ridiculous but maybe kind of safe in the end? People are poor where I live so I'm not worried about it lmao.

2
3
kpiper
Posts
2274
Joined
3/20/2019
Location
AZ US
5/25/2023 7:47pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2023 7:47pm
Cobbler wrote:
That is kind of my big question mark. If I cant hear it, it isn't there. I hardly ever look back. I'm no pro but if...

That is kind of my big question mark. If I cant hear it, it isn't there. I hardly ever look back. I'm no pro but if I get passed on a practice days it's not like the doors are blown off.. I just hold my lines and sweep across the track a little less. This is prompted by hearing the person though. I could totally see someone jumping completely across the track because they think they're alone and it's basically beyblades in real life at that point. idk. I feel like the fake noise thing is totally ridiculous but maybe kind of safe in the end? People are poor where I live so I'm not worried about it lmao.

All your points are correct. The 'fake' noise is going to be required. It has to. The bike is a computer so should be easy to do. You will be able to choose from a selection of 'sounds'.

6

Post a reply to: New bike day - Stark Varg has arrived!!!!

The Latest