X-ring chain, vs non O-ring D.I.D chain for a 450?

cripdog255
Are x ring chains worth paying 160 on? Or is it overrated.
|
Rider 5280
7/29/2020 11:21am Edited Date/Time 7/29/2020 12:03pm
Totally totally totally worth the reduced maintenance (I adjust my chain MAYBE once a year ... no kidding). I'd pay $500 for an x-ring chain - I am that happy with them ... but luckily they only cost about $105!

I am personally a fan of the DID ERVT X-ring chain with a tensile strength of 8440 lbs. I get the clip-type master links.

*** ALSO: A plug for Ironman sprockets (by Dirt Tricks). Nothing compares. I've owned 10+ of these sets, never worn a rear out (and that's after 100s of hours on each, have replaced 1 front - but it wasn't bad). Pair a set of Ironmans with an x-ring chain and enjoy an extra hour of sleep … EVERY DAY. ***
Zeke27G
8/12/2020 6:58am
x2

DID ERVT X-Ring chains with Dirt Tricks Ironman front and rear sprockets.

The longevity is incredible, so much so, that I won't run any other combo.
JK714
11/9/2020 12:19pm
I've had great experience with the Primary Drive X-ring chains from RMATV/MC. Depending on length they run $80 or so.

Definitely agree that X-ring is well worth it. After it stretches in the first couple rides, they almost never need adjusted. The X-ring protects the point of greatest wear, where dirt gets between the pin and roller.

Also +1 on any type of steel-toothed rear sprocket. I've been using the Supersprox steel/aluminum composite, but Renthal Twin-Ring looks good and both Moose and G2 make a sprocket similar to the Supersprox.

And if you don't mind the extra weight you can go with all-steel Supersprox or Vortex for half the price. Those have fairly minimal center spokes to them.

With steel teeth you can go through 3 chains and front sprockets for each rear.

The Shop

4/27/2021 5:44am
Every time I get a new bike, I wear the stock chain and sprocket out (usually 10-15 hours) then replace them with a Firepower X-ring chain (great quality, low price) and a set of Dirt Tricks sprockets. I've never owned a bike long enough to wear through this combination. Zero maintenance necessary.
LuiesMaes
5/13/2021 8:37pm
I've ran O-ring X-ring and non o-ring chains on multiple bikes. As long as you keep up on the maintenance of lubing after washes and adjusting it when loose, you will be fine with a regular old chain by a reputable manufacturer. Using a masterlink to install the chain is a hell of alot easier than needing a chainbreaker.

Post a reply to: X-ring chain, vs non O-ring D.I.D chain for a 450?

The Latest