Real world boot reviews

Edited Date/Time 6/3/2022 7:57am
Broke a seat of tech 7s yesterday, hit a large earth mover tire after a C rider got a little squirrelly. Leg got smashed between the bike and tire. Not mad it did it’s job along with my knee braces. Cough cough Ryan Hughes cough cough. I want top quality boots protection wise. What are the real word reviews from people who are actually buying these things
|
Rider 5280
4/10/2022 1:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2022 1:31pm
I currently have 2021 SG-12s with maybe 20 hours on them. I generally like them, but I did experience a big-toe injury that in the previous 20 years of wearing Alpinestars models with booties (Tech 8s, Tech 10s) I never experienced.

Hard to say if Alpinestars would have prevented this, but I believe it is possible (maybe 50% chance). I shied away from Tech 10s this time around given their lower durability sole-wise. On this front, SG-12s really do seem good.

Lastly, "living with" the SG-12s is day-to-day is very easy. Easy to clean, the buckles work well, they are easy to fit correctly, and they are not too hot. Had I not experienced the odd toe injury, I'd have no reservations.
Rider 5280
4/11/2022 8:49pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2022 9:12am
Broke a seat of tech 7s yesterday, hit a large earth mover tire after a C rider got a little squirrelly. Leg got smashed between the...
Broke a seat of tech 7s yesterday, hit a large earth mover tire after a C rider got a little squirrelly. Leg got smashed between the bike and tire. Not mad it did it’s job along with my knee braces. Cough cough Ryan Hughes cough cough. I want top quality boots protection wise. What are the real word reviews from people who are actually buying these things
I should have mentioned:
If you're not aware, Alpinestars offers a repair service. This may be the most economical way to address your boot situation.
garasaki
5/19/2022 8:42am
I just picked up Tech 10s. Only have a few rides on them.

Very stiff in the ankle area. I don't really feel anything in my ankles with these things on. Exactly what I wanted.

I moved from a pair of SG12s that I got second-hand and I wore the heck out of them. The comparison between these and the Tech 10s would not be fair, since the SG12s were not new.

One thing I can accurately say is that the Tech 10's are much much slimmer in the toebox - especially the exterior of the boot. The Tech 10s are slim and sleek like a dress shoe versus the very big and wide SG12s that are sort of like a work boot up there, with heels that stick out past the profile of the boot. I haven't necessarily come to a conclusion that one is better than the other in this regard, or that there is a noticeable difference when you are riding. They definitely look different though.

I was quite intimidated by putting the Tech 10's on for the first time. To the point where I decided not to wear the boots for the first month or so I had them because I didn't feel like trying to figure it out. The booty approach is different. Once I got my head wrapped around it, it's really easy to put them on and take them off (I leave the booty in).

I'm happy with my purchase of the Tech 10s. They look cool and provide excellent ankle protection.

The Shop

Lillefty27
6/3/2022 7:57am
garasaki wrote:
I just picked up Tech 10s. Only have a few rides on them. Very stiff in the ankle area. I don't really feel anything in my...
I just picked up Tech 10s. Only have a few rides on them.

Very stiff in the ankle area. I don't really feel anything in my ankles with these things on. Exactly what I wanted.

I moved from a pair of SG12s that I got second-hand and I wore the heck out of them. The comparison between these and the Tech 10s would not be fair, since the SG12s were not new.

One thing I can accurately say is that the Tech 10's are much much slimmer in the toebox - especially the exterior of the boot. The Tech 10s are slim and sleek like a dress shoe versus the very big and wide SG12s that are sort of like a work boot up there, with heels that stick out past the profile of the boot. I haven't necessarily come to a conclusion that one is better than the other in this regard, or that there is a noticeable difference when you are riding. They definitely look different though.

I was quite intimidated by putting the Tech 10's on for the first time. To the point where I decided not to wear the boots for the first month or so I had them because I didn't feel like trying to figure it out. The booty approach is different. Once I got my head wrapped around it, it's really easy to put them on and take them off (I leave the booty in).

I'm happy with my purchase of the Tech 10s. They look cool and provide excellent ankle protection.
I can second the comment on SG12's wide toe box. I come from wearing A-Stars boots for years and started wearing Gaerne boots last summer. Yes the SG12 is a bit bulkier in general, but I don't mind the extra wiggle room inside. I think they are super comfortable, and the padded support inside is nice. I plan to keep these for many many years.
JK714
1/25/2023 10:46am

Since nobody mentioned Sidi, I'll take that up.

I have been using Sidi exclusively since 2016. I have Crossfire 2s and 3s. Previously I had Formas, which look a lot like Gaerne, and AXOs, which looked a lot like Alpinestars Tech 7s. The Sidis fit great for me because I have very slim calves, ankles and feet. The ankle movement is much easier than on those previous boots, but the protection everywhere is excellent. Buckles are super adjustable and easy to use, never had one pop loose.

Every wearing part is replaceable with a screwdriver. So far I have only needed to replace soles. They wear out maybe twice as fast as a normal welted or glued sole because they are thinner, with the plastic chassis under the foot making up the difference in thickness. At $40 per pair though, plus maybe having to replace a couple of the special quarter-turn aluminum screws, they are much cheaper and quicker to resole than having to send them off like other boots.

The Crossfire 2s have a sole that covers the whole foot and has 17 screws, while the Crossfire 3s have a more compact sole that only needs 4 screws because of the way it locks in to the plastic foot frame. They feel almost identical when riding, but the 3s are definitely an improvement for ease of sole changing and needing fewer screws. They can be changed out in 10 minutes easily. You just have to keep an eye on the aluminum screw heads so the slots don't get too worn by the footpegs, then they will be harder to get out. Easy enough to replace individual screws when needed. I'll be keeping both of these forever.

Turbojez
1/27/2023 7:44am
JK714 wrote:
Since nobody mentioned Sidi, I'll take that up. I have been using Sidi exclusively since 2016. I have Crossfire 2s and 3s. Previously I had Formas...

Since nobody mentioned Sidi, I'll take that up.

I have been using Sidi exclusively since 2016. I have Crossfire 2s and 3s. Previously I had Formas, which look a lot like Gaerne, and AXOs, which looked a lot like Alpinestars Tech 7s. The Sidis fit great for me because I have very slim calves, ankles and feet. The ankle movement is much easier than on those previous boots, but the protection everywhere is excellent. Buckles are super adjustable and easy to use, never had one pop loose.

Every wearing part is replaceable with a screwdriver. So far I have only needed to replace soles. They wear out maybe twice as fast as a normal welted or glued sole because they are thinner, with the plastic chassis under the foot making up the difference in thickness. At $40 per pair though, plus maybe having to replace a couple of the special quarter-turn aluminum screws, they are much cheaper and quicker to resole than having to send them off like other boots.

The Crossfire 2s have a sole that covers the whole foot and has 17 screws, while the Crossfire 3s have a more compact sole that only needs 4 screws because of the way it locks in to the plastic foot frame. They feel almost identical when riding, but the 3s are definitely an improvement for ease of sole changing and needing fewer screws. They can be changed out in 10 minutes easily. You just have to keep an eye on the aluminum screw heads so the slots don't get too worn by the footpegs, then they will be harder to get out. Easy enough to replace individual screws when needed. I'll be keeping both of these forever.

One more vote for Sidi crossfire's.

Moved from fox instincts to Sidi and the difference in quality and durability is out of this world, even though CFs have that old school feel to them.

Both were very comfy but Instincts also smelled like cat piss, no such issue with Sidis ever.

TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
3/20/2023 7:10pm

Get some Sidis for your feeties! I’ve got the atojos and really like them. Great foot and ankle mobility with ease to get under the shifter, but still feel pretty supportive. Interface with the bike is better than instincts while having a little better hold up. I had tech tens in size 12 before, and the equivalent size atojos are a full inch shorter from heel to toe. Overall they’re light, low profile boots that feel great to ride in. 

9/6/2023 8:36pm

I currently have a pair of Gaerne GX-1's that I've had for quite a long time now. The soles barely look worn although I don't ride as much as I used to. How much better would the Sidi Crossfire 2 or 3's be over something like a lower level Gaerne boot like the gx-1 I wonder?

rm449
Fantasy
508th
9/11/2023 2:01am

I went from tech 7's that were 15ish hours of ride time to vented tech 10's. If I could do it again I would go straight to the 10's. They are better In every way minus the price I my opinion. The soles are stiffer so you don't get that flexing feeling off slap down landings which was my main issue with the 7's. The are WAY stiffer and take some time to break in. Im at about 20 hours ride time and I don't notice the extra stiffness that I noticed when I first rode with them. Now I don't know if I am use to them now or if they actually break in. I also like that they don't squeak when I walk. 

ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
1/15/2024 3:23pm
rm449 wrote:
I went from tech 7's that were 15ish hours of ride time to vented tech 10's. If I could do it again I would go straight...

I went from tech 7's that were 15ish hours of ride time to vented tech 10's. If I could do it again I would go straight to the 10's. They are better In every way minus the price I my opinion. The soles are stiffer so you don't get that flexing feeling off slap down landings which was my main issue with the 7's. The are WAY stiffer and take some time to break in. Im at about 20 hours ride time and I don't notice the extra stiffness that I noticed when I first rode with them. Now I don't know if I am use to them now or if they actually break in. I also like that they don't squeak when I walk. 

Are you saying the tech 7s squeeked? MY old Fox boots finally gave up the ghost and I'm considering 7s vs 10s

I'm a slow vet rider that doesn't need the best protection, I think I'd like a shorter breakin time and a more flexible ankle.

rm449
Fantasy
508th
1/21/2024 9:56am
rm449 wrote:
I went from tech 7's that were 15ish hours of ride time to vented tech 10's. If I could do it again I would go straight...

ToolMaker wrote:
Are you saying the tech 7s squeeked? MY old Fox boots finally gave up the ghost and I'm considering 7s vs 10s I'm a slow vet...

Are you saying the tech 7s squeeked? MY old Fox boots finally gave up the ghost and I'm considering 7s vs 10s

I'm a slow vet rider that doesn't need the best protection, I think I'd like a shorter breakin time and a more flexible ankle.

Yes the 7's squeaked big time. Just go for the 10's honestly it's worth it for the peace of mind. 

Meister
1/23/2024 6:20pm

Long time instinct wearer that finally made myself switch because of wearing fly. I tried a pair of vented tech 10s and hated that i couldn't feel anything. Had weird pinch points too. Sold them and bought 7s. Much more comfortable right out if the box. I still think i like my instincts better though. I ruled out gaerne because of how big the toe box was. Sidi were too narrow for my feet. 

Rider 5280
1/23/2024 8:25pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2024 9:41pm
Meister wrote:
Long time instinct wearer that finally made myself switch because of wearing fly. I tried a pair of vented tech 10s and hated that i couldn't...

Long time instinct wearer that finally made myself switch because of wearing fly. I tried a pair of vented tech 10s and hated that i couldn't feel anything. Had weird pinch points too. Sold them and bought 7s. Much more comfortable right out if the box. I still think i like my instincts better though. I ruled out gaerne because of how big the toe box was. Sidi were too narrow for my feet. 

Now that you've ridden Alpinestars Tech 10s and 7, how do you rate Fox Instincts' feel and level of protection?

1/29/2024 10:37am

I used to ride in Tech 7's and was wery happy with them until after about 90 hours of riding when sole insert in right boot needed replacement. I did everything according to instruction but it held maybe for two rides before is fell off. Tried once more but with similar result. Overall I think that Tech 7's are a good boots. 

After 7's, I've purchased TCX Comp EVO 2.They are more rigid that Tech 7's, still comfortable but I do feel more secure in them. I've made 60 hours in them, sole looks still good but I noticed that sole starts to peel off. I need to find a shoemaker willing to fix them as after my expiriences with Tech 7's, I will pass on doing this by myself. You can but them cheaper than Tech 7's (at least where I live) and they are worth considering. You just need to watch out with pressure washer while cleaning them. ;/ 

As a guy who pays for whole his stuff, I would like to have boots which are safe and durable. I don't care that much for weigth as pro riders.

Meister
1/30/2024 4:41pm

I felt just as protected in my instincts, although i could definitely feel more. Technically the 10s offer the most support but i wasn't a fan. Instincts lasted well for me too. 

kdawg941
Fantasy
2841st
2/8/2024 4:42am

To me Gaerne SG12s are the most durable and have the quickest break in time. Tech 10s will survive half as long and there is definitely a break in period. That being said the 10s have more of an athletic feel since the booty hugs your foot and the boot seems to have a softer shell. I felt my foot was just in a cast in the SG12s. I swear by the tech 10s promoting you to ride on your toes with the angle of the sole. SG12s are flat footed while the 10s have a slight angle change towards the front of the boot. Call me crazy. But I blow through tech 10s in about a year. 12s you can go until you wear a hole through the sole.

Post a reply to: Real world boot reviews

The Latest