Motoklik - New robust suspension data system for motocross.

Motoklik
Hi all 🙂

My name is Jens, and I am the founder of an Irish start-up company that has produced a new suspension data product especially for motocross 📊

I started riding motocross at 7 years old on a KTM 50 and have been riding for over 20 years now. In 2016 I had a crash at a race because my suspension bottomed out on the take-off of a jump, and this gave me the idea for a product that can help me and other riders to get the best suspension set-up.

In 2018, I quite my job and went full time with the idea. It has been really really tough to find the funding, develop the technology, and most importantly find the great people to work with to create the Motoklik TW1.0 system that we have now. The system uses a brand new in-house developed sensor technology that is designed to be tough enough for off-road use.

At the start of October 2021, I took the Everts/Cairolli route to success by moving to Belgium and pounding out laps at Lommel 😅 It has been going really well, and we are making great partnerships here with suspension technicians, and riders. An example of this is a recent test we did with VHL suspension, based out of Hasselt in Belgium. We worked with Jean-Marie and his son Chiel Vanhaeren. Eventhough Jean-Marie and Chiel have been working together all their lives, we were able to use the Motoklik data in Lommel to find a better setting for Chiel, which allowed him to put in his fastest lap of the day in the last session when the track was at its worst! (We will have a video coming out about it soon on our YouTube channel).

If you've read this far, thank you! The reason for the post on Vital is we would like to find early adopter suspension technicians who are interested in working with us. If you want to find out more, please feel free to visit our website: www.motoklik.com, or send me an email at jens@motoklik.com.

Kind Regards,
Jens 🙂

|
12/1/2021 10:56pm
This looks so rad. Good on ya!

The next leap will be suspension that adjusts in real time based on immediate feedback and track position. Some proper Tomorrow's World stuff there tho.

Cheers
Simon
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
2005th
12/1/2021 11:25pm
So you're saying... now we can track if ML512 can actually bottom out a set of A Kit suspension?

Congrats on your journey, interested to learn more. Best of luck.
Motoklik
12/1/2021 11:34pm
This looks so rad. Good on ya! The next leap will be suspension that adjusts in real time based on immediate feedback and track position. Some...

The next leap will be suspension that adjusts in real time based on immediate feedback and track position. Some proper Tomorrow's World stuff there tho.

Cheers
Simon
Thank you 🙂 I think there's a lot to be said for the suspension we have today, because there is no delay in the response from the valving like there is in semi-active suspension. You can see a nice little explainer here on Vorsprung Suspension:

https://youtu.be/2Jz7bcz8HO0?utm_campaign=later-linkinbio-vorsprungsusp…

Motoklik
12/1/2021 11:43pm
So you're saying... now we can track if ML512 can actually bottom out a set of A Kit suspension? Congrats on your journey, interested to learn...
So you're saying... now we can track if ML512 can actually bottom out a set of A Kit suspension?

Congrats on your journey, interested to learn more. Best of luck.
We can even see where on the track it happened, and if it was on the back or the front 😀

Thank you, hopefully it's only the beginning of the journey. If you think Racetech can benefit from the system, please feel free to let me know, and I'm happy to arrange a video call to discuss our offering, and how we believe it can help suspension technicians and developers further. I'm aware that Racetech has the shockclock product, but our system doesn't use a potentiomter and we have also made software to make it really easy for the technician to access the rider data.

What we are trying to achieve is that the rider and suspension technician have a great ongoing working relationship based on objective data, rather than riders having to "feel" everything, and report it back. This way, riders can concentrate more on having fun, rather than trying to figure out a set-up that they are happy with.

The Shop

Riesenberg448
Fantasy
2005th
12/1/2021 11:49pm
Motoklik wrote:
We can even see where on the track it happened, and if it was on the back or the front 😀 Thank you, hopefully it's only...
We can even see where on the track it happened, and if it was on the back or the front 😀

Thank you, hopefully it's only the beginning of the journey. If you think Racetech can benefit from the system, please feel free to let me know, and I'm happy to arrange a video call to discuss our offering, and how we believe it can help suspension technicians and developers further. I'm aware that Racetech has the shockclock product, but our system doesn't use a potentiomter and we have also made software to make it really easy for the technician to access the rider data.

What we are trying to achieve is that the rider and suspension technician have a great ongoing working relationship based on objective data, rather than riders having to "feel" everything, and report it back. This way, riders can concentrate more on having fun, rather than trying to figure out a set-up that they are happy with.
If you'd like to drop me over an email, I'd be happy to set you up with our R&D staff. chris@racetech.com
Bruce372
12/1/2021 11:57pm
Looks awesome Jens! Good luck with your product! Amazing how far you can take this, with analytics on the bike and rider!
Motoklik
12/1/2021 11:59pm
Motoklik wrote:
We can even see where on the track it happened, and if it was on the back or the front 😀 Thank you, hopefully it's only...

If you'd like to drop me over an email, I'd be happy to set you up with our R&D staff. chris@racetech.com
Hi Chris, I have just sent you a mail. Sometimes it can be sent to the spam folder, but you should find it via my email address: jens@motoklik.com
Motoklik
12/2/2021 12:01am
Bruce372 wrote:
Looks awesome Jens! Good luck with your product! Amazing how far you can take this, with analytics on the bike and rider!
Thank you Bruce 🙂 Yes, certainly. We're always trying to think of how to keep moving forward with the technology, particularly on the software side. It's very interesting work, but it certainly has its challenges 😅
Bruce372
12/2/2021 12:05am
Bruce372 wrote:
Motoklik wrote:
Thank you Bruce 🙂 Yes, certainly. We're always trying to think of how to keep moving forward with the technology, particularly on the software side. It's...
Thank you Bruce 🙂 Yes, certainly. We're always trying to think of how to keep moving forward with the technology, particularly on the software side. It's very interesting work, but it certainly has its challenges 😅
Can you pair to ant+ or blue tooth so you can measure heart rate? Could be an amazing tool for rider training as well. Then wheel speed, rpms....big data hahaha
Motoklik
12/2/2021 12:15am Edited Date/Time 12/2/2021 12:29am
Bruce372 wrote:
Can you pair to ant+ or blue tooth so you can measure heart rate? Could be an amazing tool for rider training as well. Then wheel...
Can you pair to ant+ or blue tooth so you can measure heart rate? Could be an amazing tool for rider training as well. Then wheel speed, rpms....big data hahaha
It's possible yes, but we have spent a lot on development already and we need to get some sales going so we can continue with further development 🙂 The real thing for us is not just to provide data and graphs, but to provide meaning from the data. What action do I need to take because of what is measured on the bike?

We have full control over the design and function of the product because it is designed and manufactured in Ireland. We haven't gone out and adapted something that's off the shelf, and then had it made for cheap in the far east. We care a lot about using as many local suppliers and partners as we can, and in turn benefit the motocross community here in Ireland, hopefully with jobs for people who want to work in the industry, just as I have always wanted to.
Bruce372
12/2/2021 12:20am
Good luck, looks awesome how it can guide setup, like you say and not just give data.
38special
12/2/2021 4:38am
Very impressive launch. Well done, and I see lots of success coming your way!
JK BRO
Fantasy
1610th
12/2/2021 8:21am Edited Date/Time 12/2/2021 8:22am
The product looks awesome.

Question: Why are you mounting the "device" to the bar pad? It's not a rigid mount so likely some of the movement being picked up is from the bar pad. Also the pad is foam so it has damping characteristics.
murph783
12/2/2021 9:16am
Looks rad! Outta my budget, but I would love to have something like this, I love monkeying with suspension settings
Grouper
12/2/2021 9:49am
I would be very curious to see the types of progress to be made with a trained tech and an intelligent rider. Can't wait for more.
Motoklik
12/2/2021 11:31am
JK BRO wrote:
The product looks awesome. Question: Why are you mounting the "device" to the bar pad? It's not a rigid mount so likely some of the movement...

Question: Why are you mounting the "device" to the bar pad? It's not a rigid mount so likely some of the movement being picked up is from the bar pad. Also the pad is foam so it has damping characteristics.
Hi JK Bro, thank you for your question 🙂

What you see on the bar pad is the satellite antenna and button for starting and stopping recording data. The system uses a sensor wand on the outside of the fork, and sensor pack at the rear brake master cylinder, and a central control unit mounted behind the front number plate.
Motoklik
12/2/2021 11:35am
murph783 wrote:
Looks rad! Outta my budget, but I would love to have something like this, I love monkeying with suspension settings
Thank you murph783 🙂 There's obviously a higher cost of production for a new product like this which affects the end price, but we've packed a lot of value into the Motoklik system.

We've made the app super easy to use so you can see your lap-times, section times, suspension position and speed, where the bike is bottoming out, the number of hours on the bike, the sag position in real time, and know if you are getting faster or not with the performance dashboard. We really believe this is the best information to get if you want to become a faster and safer rider.

If you are to buy individual products to do all of this, I think the price would be at least twice the amount of the Motoklik system 😬
Motoklik
12/2/2021 11:37am
Thank you all for your words of encouragement, it really means a lot to me, and hopefully all the hard work and sacrifice over the past 4 years can give you guys a faster and safer rider experience.

I'm most active on Instagram if you want to follow along more closely: @motoklik 😀
sandhills
12/2/2021 11:44am
This looks so rad. Good on ya! The next leap will be suspension that adjusts in real time based on immediate feedback and track position. Some...

Cheers
Simon
If there isn't already an active suspension ban there will need to be one. Even formula 1 decided that's too complicated and unfair.
JK BRO
Fantasy
1610th
12/2/2021 11:51am
JK BRO wrote:
The product looks awesome. Question: Why are you mounting the "device" to the bar pad? It's not a rigid mount so likely some of the movement...

Motoklik wrote:
Hi JK Bro, thank you for your question 🙂 What you see on the bar pad is the satellite antenna and button for starting and stopping...

What you see on the bar pad is the satellite antenna and button for starting and stopping recording data. The system uses a sensor wand on the outside of the fork, and sensor pack at the rear brake master cylinder, and a central control unit mounted behind the front number plate.
Gotcha, makes sense.

What is the weight of the system with all components connected?
mxtech1
12/2/2021 12:28pm
Jens,

You have created a really nice kit here. I am very impressed with the products you selected to collect the data and the overall system architecture of how the sensors/data/App function. WELL DONE!!!

Couple of thoughts/questions:

One question I have, since this is all just time-series data, can a session file be exported so that data analysis can be completed in a more powerful software (I use nCode 2020 for example) rather than the Motoklik Application? My initial thought is that the Application analysis gives good insight at a high level for what the suspension is doing, but to really unlock the full value and gain a deeper understanding of what the suspension is doing, a deeper data analysis could be done in a more sophisticated analysis software. Any possibility of exporting the data file from the CCU to the MotoKlik cloud database where it can be converted to a .SIF file (or something similiar)?

What sample rate are the sensors collecting data at?

How often do the sensors need to be qualified to ensure accuracy?

What the heck is a "Jelly?"
Motoklik
12/2/2021 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2021 1:09pm
JK BRO wrote:

Motoklik wrote:
Hi JK Bro, thank you for your question 🙂 What you see on the bar pad is the satellite antenna and button for starting and stopping...

JK BRO wrote:
Gotcha, makes sense.

What is the weight of the system with all components connected?
The system weighs less than 300 grammes, or 0.66 pounds. Every rider we've worked with so far hasn't noticed the system when they are riding.
Motoklik
12/2/2021 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2021 2:43am
mxtech1 wrote:
Jens, You have created a really nice kit here. I am very impressed with the products you selected to collect the data and the overall system...
Jens,

You have created a really nice kit here. I am very impressed with the products you selected to collect the data and the overall system architecture of how the sensors/data/App function. WELL DONE!!!

Couple of thoughts/questions:

One question I have, since this is all just time-series data, can a session file be exported so that data analysis can be completed in a more powerful software (I use nCode 2020 for example) rather than the Motoklik Application? My initial thought is that the Application analysis gives good insight at a high level for what the suspension is doing, but to really unlock the full value and gain a deeper understanding of what the suspension is doing, a deeper data analysis could be done in a more sophisticated analysis software. Any possibility of exporting the data file from the CCU to the MotoKlik cloud database where it can be converted to a .SIF file (or something similiar)?

What sample rate are the sensors collecting data at?

How often do the sensors need to be qualified to ensure accuracy?

What the heck is a "Jelly?"
Hi mxtech1,

We have an online dashboard that allows the data from the CCU to be accessed remotely. The dashboard is used to organise all of the session data, and we have provided further graphs and tables to help suspension technicians make decisions on set-ups such as spring rates, oil volume and shim stack configuration. The app is designed to be easy to use and understand for the average rider, whereas the online dashboard is for technicians and people who really understand the inner workings of the suspension and want to use the data to improve settings.

The online dashboard allows technicians to work with a rider, no matter where they are in the world.

The sample rate is 100Hz, which is lower than usual, but we have measured speeds of up to 20m/s (wheel speed) and haven't seen any instances where we miss a suspension event, or the position data misses a movement over a bump, or jump landing etc.

The sensors run a self calibration each time the system is powered on. It is more important to keep an eye on the position of the sensors to make sure that they haven't moved. Sometimes the front can get a kick of a boot or something, but this is rare, especially when the sensor cover is being used. For example, today we were testing in Dunkirk and did 3 hours of riding and the sensor position was fine all day.

A "Jelly" is a special surprise that comes with each Motoklik 😉

If you're interested in speaking more with me about Motoklik, I'm happy to have a video call to discuss it further 🙂
Motoklik
12/15/2021 1:19pm Edited Date/Time 12/15/2021 1:26pm
Here's a new review from Belgium's mxmag.be with a quick review of the Motoklik system being used in Lommel and Grevenbroich over the past couple of weeks, we'll have a translated version of the video soon 🙂 You can follow us on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube also @motoklik

https://nl.motocrossmag.be/index.php/2021/12/video-veringanalyse-met-het-motoklik-systeem-in-de-praktijk/#.Ybpa373MJPY
DA498
12/16/2021 3:42pm
Bolt this stuff on the Stark and add the apps to their platform and WOW!! It sucks im getting so old. The future looks great with these innovators IMO.
Motoklik
6/26/2023 3:38pm

Hi Vital MXers! We have some really exciting news at Motoklik, and it's called AiSetup!

A challenge for our customers so far has been how to interpret the data, and decide what to do with the clickers. It was always our plan to automate suspension setup, and I'm delighted to say that after 5 years of work, we have developed a product and software that has been giving our customers great results with their suspension, making them both faster and safer.

AiSetup is an artificial intelligence based software that we have built into the Motoklik app. It is trained off our dataset which was developed with riders from 12 years old up to 70, and in all conditions from Lommel to Glen Helen. Once you have downloaded your session, the data is analysed, and recommendations are shown with how much to turn the compression and rebound clickers!

We are hoping to have the product reviewed by the main media in the USA, but it's a bit of a challenge trying to organise everything from over this side of the Atlantic in Ireland. Last Friday however, the guys from Gatedrop.com released their review of the Motoklik system, and got some test rider feedback on the AiSetup. (Big thank you to Jonathan McCready and Richard Greer for coming out on the day).

You can see what the guys from Gatedrop had to say below.

If you have any more questions, feel free to email me on jens@motoklik.com, or I'm happy to reply in the thread also.

Kind Regrads,

Jens 

Click here to read the full gatedrop.com review on our website.

Post a reply to: Motoklik - New robust suspension data system for motocross.

The Latest