Best knee braces!?

Rodgers344
Fantasy
672nd
I destroyed my knee last year and ruined everything you could. I’m gonna be super picky with getting knee braces so I don’t re tear anything. What’s everyone’s opinions on the best knee brace? Especially after an injury? I’m torn between asterisk and EVS
|
GoYamaha
6/10/2019 5:58pm
I have POD K8's and love them. They are considered medical devices so I was able to swindle my insurance abit and with a prescription got them covered. Most comfortable ones I have found. Best bet is to try a few on and see how they fit.
adiaz791
6/10/2019 8:17pm
I've had good luck with the Pod K4s. They fit great, comfortable, not bulky, lots of adjustments.
Yamyz144
7/21/2019 2:29pm
Pods work great but my next pair will be a set of mobus. Heard great things about them.

The Shop

brian9
7/23/2019 6:36am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2019 6:43am
The best brace is the brace which fits your leg and stay in place during your ride. When braces start to slip, there's a problem.

I just bought a set, put them on at home and jumped around. Sure enough, they slipped. I took them back. While researching braces I came across a video of Tony Cairoli promoting DonJoy custom-carbon braces. On a whim, I called DonJoy who put me in touch with the local sales rep.

They had a great deal so I bought them. For $850 you get 2 sets of braces (4 total). The rep came to my house and measured my legs. I gave her a check and they arrived a week later. The rep came back to my house, adjusted the braces and showed me how to properly put them on.

The braces are an exact fit. They have never slipped. They do not require knee sleeves under the braces so they are very cool (I live in FL).

Next month the rep will come back to my house and ask me what I want to adjust, re-measure and give me a 2nd set at no additional cost.

I gotta say...100% impressed. I do have a set of custom CTIs (they need to be refurbished, hence the reason for shopping for braces). I am choosing to ride with the DonJoys. They fit better and not needing knee sleeves is a huge plus. The DonJoys are designed so that one bar of the brace is in front of the leg and the other is behind the leg, so you step into them. The knee feels locked into place.

Anyway... the best brace is the brace which fits you. If you get off the shelf, make sure they fit. If you get custom, you'll get an exact fit.

cdoggy81
7/27/2019 3:54am
“The DonJoys are designed so that one bar of the brace is in front of the leg and the other is behind the leg, so you step into them. The knee feels locked into place. ”

That right there is exactly why I use the donjoy as well!!! Tried them all & anything that did not wrap around my leg did not feel nearly as stable. I’m on my 3rd ACL & wish I had them sooner. Get the donjoys...
Lynch
7/27/2019 6:31am
brian9 wrote:
The best brace is the brace which fits your leg and stay in place during your ride. When braces start to slip, there's a problem. I...
The best brace is the brace which fits your leg and stay in place during your ride. When braces start to slip, there's a problem.

I just bought a set, put them on at home and jumped around. Sure enough, they slipped. I took them back. While researching braces I came across a video of Tony Cairoli promoting DonJoy custom-carbon braces. On a whim, I called DonJoy who put me in touch with the local sales rep.

They had a great deal so I bought them. For $850 you get 2 sets of braces (4 total). The rep came to my house and measured my legs. I gave her a check and they arrived a week later. The rep came back to my house, adjusted the braces and showed me how to properly put them on.

The braces are an exact fit. They have never slipped. They do not require knee sleeves under the braces so they are very cool (I live in FL).

Next month the rep will come back to my house and ask me what I want to adjust, re-measure and give me a 2nd set at no additional cost.

I gotta say...100% impressed. I do have a set of custom CTIs (they need to be refurbished, hence the reason for shopping for braces). I am choosing to ride with the DonJoys. They fit better and not needing knee sleeves is a huge plus. The DonJoys are designed so that one bar of the brace is in front of the leg and the other is behind the leg, so you step into them. The knee feels locked into place.

Anyway... the best brace is the brace which fits you. If you get off the shelf, make sure they fit. If you get custom, you'll get an exact fit.

Good price! $1250 was the price I got for one set of braces, and that was after a 50% discount they run during a big enduro race Blink
cdoggy81
7/27/2019 8:53am
FYI I got a second set off eBay super cheap just to keep on the boat when I go wakeboarding. Just know what size you wear & keep your eyes open. I got one for $75 & the other that was new for $100.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
8/3/2019 10:24pm
For me, the Mobius braces fit very well.
arunkxf
3/5/2020 6:39am
I got the Leatt X frames, they're pretty reasonably priced and fit super well. Can't go wrong with Leatt as a protective brand.
mxracer666
7/13/2020 6:16pm
I got a set of the Mobius and returned them. I felt they were way too flexy (grab the hinges in each hand and push in/out) Also, they totally enclose the front 1/2 of your leg and are hot/ don't breathe. Very comfortable tho. I've had CTi custom braces before and recently got a set of the Pod K8 braces. I feel they are comfortable, very solid, and very close to the CTi custom braces. FWIW...
Rider 5280
7/29/2020 11:46am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2022 1:35pm
I've had 3 pairs of Asterisk Cells and generally have great things to say. I am certain they have prevented serious injury multiple times. I recently upgraded to the Asterisk Carbon Cells and I am very impressed yet again.

I did own a pair of Mobius X8s briefly, but I found them to be crazy hot ... like LAVA HOT. I also felt they didn't cover as well as any of the Asterisk models. I surmised that a broader footprint on your leg is best for load distribution. While I found the general design was "neat" and efficient (really cool looking, too), I just ended up deciding the Asterisk designs made more sense to me relative to their function: prevent knee injuries. I probably should note that I am a mechanical engineer by trade, so I am biased a bit, but Mobius does seem like a solid product, just to be clear.

Pod braces were what I hoped to try next. Similar to Asterisks, but honestly I think they are likely a hair better. Just haven't gotten around to trying them.

*8‐23‐2021 update:
I tried Pod K8s. Awesome quality, but they pinch in my knees exactly as described in this review video:
https://youtu.be/bITPDc4W-Ac
This fitment issue, when compared to the other brace options (I tried Asterisk, Pod, Mobius), dropped the Pods out of the running for me.

Lastly, I need to plug neck braces. I am confident a Leatt neck brace saved my life. For this I am most appreciative.

My 3-cent summary on SAFETY MUST HAVES:
(1) modern-tech helmet (6D)
(2) neck brace
(3) knee braces
(4) steering damper (I like Scotts and GPR V1s, I use both ... but not at the same time :-))
Rider 5280
7/29/2020 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 11/12/2022 9:34pm
sandman768 wrote:
Are all knee braces made in China?
Asterisks are made in the US. Not sure about the others.
Shapi
7/3/2021 5:57am
+1 on PODs...Kid wore them from 9-12 and they saved his knee from a catastrophic injury that resulted in only an avulsion fracture that didnt require surgery. We then went to the Leatt C-Frame when he was 13,and he liked them, but build quality was suspect. He is now 15 and we are back to Pods and he likes them...I am about to buy a set too
JK714
7/15/2021 8:47am
I've had the Mobius for 4 years now and love them. The unique feature is the boa-cable-actuated x-pad that cinches up just above the small of the knee--much more secure than anything else I've used. Villopoto liked them so much he became part owner. Also, if you call or email them with a problem, they are very responsive. I ruined an x-pad with some super glue trying to fix a minor padding problem, and they sent me several full rebuild kits and x-pads for the price of one.
Jake_CR250R
8/27/2021 4:43am
onelllee wrote:
Asterisk's are the best by far. .The anti-rotation tether is the most important.

Good review here...
https://youtu.be/Ct6onyNk9f8
This! Dave Castillo (I believe his dad was the founder of CTi knee braces) will even say a brace without rotational support is nearly useless
JK714
1/9/2022 3:59pm
This! Dave Castillo (I believe his dad was the founder of CTi knee braces) will even say a brace without rotational support is nearly useless
I have to respectfully disagree on this. I had an older set of Asterisks and used the rotational tether. I felt like it was way too flimsy to do the job it is intended to do. I find by clamping the top of your boots as tightly as possible over the bottom of the brace, you get the effect of one solid piece.
mx4all
11/12/2022 12:40pm
Prefeer the mobius. Bought a pair back in 2014 I belive and they still is good. Probably got 800h of riding on them.. changed the wire 2 times and a screw got loose thats it. The velcro is getting not so great so its about time to get new straps or maybe a new pair.

Before I went with mobius I used Asteriks and they broke down in about 80-100hrs. Had atleast 3 to 5 pairs and they all broke. They were pretty bulky compaired to the mobius. Maybe they have improved now since its been a few years since I had them.

Post a reply to: Best knee braces!?

The Latest