Big time nerves

Richy
Put this in the dumbgeon, because it's effectively dumb as it gets and pretty embarrassing all round. I'll apologize here too for dumping out my purse on a forum...

In normal life I get by alright, pretty self sufficient, work for myself, I can handle myself, I know enough and can do enough to get by, just happy to be a normal dude for the most part.

When I was a kid I got nerves on the way to the track, but it was way more excitement than being scared and generally had a good time, never the fastest but comfortable and improved at my own pace, just fun times.

Gave it a rest for a good few years, just did life stuff, have done autocross and circuit driving in racecars since and never worried at all, even on real busy days.

Returning to motocross on the other hand, I am literally a full on nervous wreck. The weird part is, it's not about crashing or getting hurt, if that happens it happens, it's just the thought of getting in people's way or just doing something stupid that stresses me out, though I can just about hold my line and stay out the way, I just don't want to put anyone out.

Besides 'sack up', any advice on ways to stop worrying so much or being such a flannel?

Cheers for being the sound board.
|
GaryC1
1/21/2022 6:19am
The only advice I can offer is to focus on mental clarity (in all aspects of life but probably best and easiest to start with MX). Think of it this way, you attract what you believe and feel. It's almost like spotting a rock on the track one lap and being very aware of where it is coming round to it the next lap and thinking "just don't hit that big rock" and before you know you've ended up right on top of it.

You can only control what is within your own reach, same goes for being out on track. Try and focus on all the positives the day is going to bring you and feed off those good vibes. Keep your thoughts positive and that will in turn help you relax and should then effectively reduce your chance of doing "something stupid".

May sound a bit hippy-ish or generic but I genuinely feel it's the best way to achieve what you are looking for and it has personally worked well for me in the past.

Post a reply to: Big time nerves

The Latest