yz250 vs newer yz250f

Related:
Create New Tag

8/6/2019 8:47 AM

I currently ride a 2015 yz250fx and ride a lot of harescrambles and moto in the B class. Its time to upgrade and I dont know which way to go.I dont want another 250fx because, its a little to heavy/wide/under powered for moto. I know the newer 250fs are really good for moto and I would be good with that, but I have a hard time taking a 250f into harescrambles due to dead engine starts and kicking it when I stall it in the woods. I am also interested and getting a yz250 that is already set up for the woods, but ive never rode a 2 stroke before. My other issue is that if it would limit me on the moto track. Let me know what you guys think.

|

8/6/2019 2:25 PM

If you've never ridden a 2 stroke before it's going to take some time adjusting, especially a 250 2 stroke.
That said, I took my yz250 with 9oz flywheel weight on a woods ride and for me it was perfect. Lighter than a 250f, more snap to get over logs but the fly wheel weight kept the power some what tractable. If I were going to ride woods full time I would probably go to an 11oz fly wheel weight.
As far as mx riding goes, I'm 35 but still race in the 250 class. The majority of the guys in competing against are nearly half my age and on 250f's and I don't feel I give up anything to them in the bike department. I actually feel I have an advantage some times.
If you can try to test ride one because they are not for everyone but I love mine

|

8/8/2019 5:52 PM

Newer YZFs have electric start. Get a YZ250. Awesome do it all bike.

|

8/9/2019 9:09 AM

1) Get a YZ250 and be able to kick it to life whenever you want,
2) Put a Rekluse on a YZ250F and don't stall it ever again.

Like mentioned above, you will need to get used to a 2 stroke. I for one think they are fantastic and I second the vote for a YZ250.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

8/9/2019 12:52 PM

I picked up a 2019 YZ250F a few months ago, coming off of a 2014 YZ250 w/9oz flywheel weight. My main takeaway from the switch is that I can ride so much longer on the 250F. I miss the 250 2-stroke power but the F makes up for it with it's smooth delivery. I don't think you can go wrong either way especially with the new F's being electric start.

|

8/10/2019 9:22 AM

Yz 250 with flywheel weight, and suspension dialed for off road. Ive owned 3, and that was the do all bike in the NV desert, and Sierra trails. A top tree with some isolator mounts, and shimming motor in frame, help out the vibration. You can spray boat foam in bars too. Some stuff we did for the long loops we did.

|

Livin' the dream, two wheels at a time!