yamaha yz450f engine surging

Related:
Create New Tag

9/25/2018 10:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2018 10:05 PM

so I have a 16 yamaha yz450f and i was riding it the other day ran great parked it by the trailer and was about to load it up kicked it over made this weird noise(watch video) and i killed it and hand loaded it.

never heard a bike sound like this, checked the valves they are in spec, cleaned injector and fuel pump filter like 2 rides before this, put a fresh spark plug in. clean air filter every ride. and i change the oil just about after every ride. Have no idea what this could be

Any one have a clue? it was kicking over first kick and runs and drives but does not sound good. now its hard to start, but does start and just surges why'll its idling or in gear.

thanks for any input!
|

9/26/2018 5:11 AM

sounds like the timing chain is making noise. Maybe it jumped timing. How many hours?

|

9/26/2018 8:18 AM

fourfourone wrote:

sounds like the timing chain is making noise. Maybe it jumped timing. How many hours?

not sure purchased the bike off an auction got it for 2k, guess thats where ill start, how many hours do the chains usually last for? would the gtyr tuner pop up error codes for something like that?

|

9/26/2018 8:31 AM

The tuner would tell you engine hours. usually the chain gets replaced when you do a top end. Some do them around 50 some do them around 100 hours. All depends. Could be something else too. but its sounds terrible.

|

9/26/2018 8:42 AM

fourfourone wrote:

The tuner would tell you engine hours. usually the chain gets replaced when you do a top end. Some do them around 50 some do ...more

ya i agree sounds terrible.. had issues with valves on a four stroke before, i put an hour meter on it and put 11hours my self with no issues. but these valves where in perfect clearance. Was planing on making this a timbersled this year, any other direction for things too look at or pretty much it needs a rebuild kit? ive never owned a fuel injected dirt bike could the fuel injectors cause something like this?

|