whats the deal on chain life

jumper23
when is it time for a new chain and does anyone have a routine they would share . I clean my chain every time I ride and they strech but replace it every 30 hrs or so . Should I do it sooner?
|
jordand20
2/25/2022 10:02am
Run an X-ring, if you want more life out of it. And don't clean it unless it's packed with mud. Replace countershaft sprocket as soon as it looks out of shape even a bit. Should be able to get at least 100hrs out of it.
Rider 5280
2/25/2022 10:03am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2022 1:03pm
I use DID ERVT x-ring chains (and Ironman sprockets) for their high tensile strength and low maintenance. I literally never lube them, which is controversial (and ironically I'm a maintenance nut), but the lube is contained in the chain joints with x-ring seals, so I see no advantage other than conditioning the seals. Additionally, I don't wear the Ironman sprockets with this approach either. It's a ~ $275 investment that you'll get 100+ hours out of ($105 for chain, $125 for rear sprocket, $40 for counter sprocket). I actually can run the Ironman rear sprockets for ~ 200+ hours, a little less on the counter sprockets (when the teeth start to "hook," I replace the sprocket).

To keep an eye on chain wear, I use this chain-wear gauge:
https://dirttricks.com/shop/hardware/dirt-tricks-extras/520-chain-wear-…

I also replace chains every ~ 100 hours. Usually the side plates are worn nearly flat by this time and I say "it's time."

Here's a worthwhile read on the subject (many good opinions):
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Vital-MX-Product-Reviews,47/X-ring-chain…
Rider 5280
2/25/2022 10:09am
jordand20 wrote:
Run an X-ring, if you want more life out of it. And don't clean it unless it's packed with mud. Replace countershaft sprocket as soon as...
Run an X-ring, if you want more life out of it. And don't clean it unless it's packed with mud. Replace countershaft sprocket as soon as it looks out of shape even a bit. Should be able to get at least 100hrs out of it.
Bam! Similar, independent experiences posted simultaneously. Very interesting.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/25/2022 1:25pm
I inspect the rear sprocket. When it starts to show signs of hooking, it's time to replace chain & sprockets. I replace them all as a set. I've had good luck with Regina chains.
MKMX
2/25/2022 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2022 11:30pm
Chain life and maintenance go hand in hand. Quality chain, quality sprockets, keep it clean, keep it lubed and the correct tension.

As with anything, run it until you feel there’s a chance of failure.

Edit; I ran Renthal sprockets with RK GB520MXU chains for my last 3-4 seasons and they performed exceptionally, I changed mine every season as cheap insurance (chain failures can be costly - both parts wise and hitting the deck as a result).
Moto520
2/26/2022 8:38am
30-50 hours. Once the rear sprocket starts to go it’s time to replace the set. 30-50 hours depending on all the obvious variables
Yeti831
2/26/2022 2:44pm
Basically what Falcon said. Once the rear sprocket is toast (aluminum sprockets), replace the chain as well.

I have seen it for the ERT3, but I believe most manufacturers have a tolerance to measure the space between the ends of the outside links to check for excessive stretch, like a cam chain.

If it’s a stock chain, I’d just replace it asap. Time intervals be damned.
willbilly
2/26/2022 4:58pm
You didn’t say what bike but most owners manuals have a maximum “stretch” length over a certain number of rivets. The specs are different for o ring chains. Usually the max length is about 3% more than when new.
erik_94COBRA
2/26/2022 5:48pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
I use DID ERVT x-ring chains (and Ironman sprockets) for their high tensile strength and low maintenance. I literally never lube them, which is controversial (and...
I use DID ERVT x-ring chains (and Ironman sprockets) for their high tensile strength and low maintenance. I literally never lube them, which is controversial (and ironically I'm a maintenance nut), but the lube is contained in the chain joints with x-ring seals, so I see no advantage other than conditioning the seals. Additionally, I don't wear the Ironman sprockets with this approach either. It's a ~ $275 investment that you'll get 100+ hours out of ($105 for chain, $125 for rear sprocket, $40 for counter sprocket). I actually can run the Ironman rear sprockets for ~ 200+ hours, a little less on the counter sprockets (when the teeth start to "hook," I replace the sprocket).

I also replace chains every ~ 100 hours. Usually the side plates are worn nearly flat by this time and I say "it's time."

I have the same basic approach.

I also do not lube chain. A quick blast of WD40 to prevent rust after washing (also not very frequent).
murph783
2/27/2022 6:27am
Rider 5280 wrote:
I use DID ERVT x-ring chains (and Ironman sprockets) for their high tensile strength and low maintenance. I literally never lube them, which is controversial (and...

I have the same basic approach.

I also do not lube chain. A quick blast of WD40 to prevent rust after washing (also not very frequent).
Just to throw it out there I think WD-40 can eat rubber over time with those X or O ring chains
Gravel
3/8/2022 9:32pm
Are you cleaning the chain with a pressure washer? That’ll drive the lube out and fill it with water, kill a chain quick.

Ironman sprockets and a good sealed chain will last way over 100 hours as long as you swap new cs sprockets on every 40 hours or so.
Sandusky26
3/9/2022 1:21am
I never run a chain past 25 hours. Had a o-ring chain break on a freshly rebuilt 450 and took out the cases.
DaBaum44
3/12/2022 3:39pm
This is a good read from Dirt Tricks. https://dirttricks.com/measuring-chain-wear/

If I am running aluminum sprockets, I replace the chain with the sprockets (20 to 30 hours of use).

I'm currently using Dirt Tricks sprockets on my 350. Needless to say I will be replacing the chain far before I need new sprockets. 30 hours of use for a non o-ring chain seems average for motocross at my skill level.

I've always used this info from Dirt Tricks as a guide.

"The second method is not as precise, but will save you time in breaking your master link. Suck a wrench between your chain and rear sprocket by rotating your rear wheel by hand, until the chain along the top of your swing arm is tight. Using the method above, count out 24 intervals, and measure the distance center-to-center between the first and last pin. A new chain will be 15″ dead nuts. If you measure more than 15-3/32″ it’s time to get a new chain."

Post a reply to: whats the deal on chain life

The Latest