sxf 350 front wheel spacers

Cliffy615
Fantasy
2899th
Edited Date/Time 10/8/2021 5:04pm
Hi,
I recently purchased a 2016 KTM 350 sxf, the bike seems great but just has one small issue.
The front wheel moves side to side slightly, at first before purchase I figured it was bearings - no biggie.

On inspection it seems as though the spacers aren;t being held in position by the fork legs,
The hub is an aftermarket(orange) hub - I can't see any markings as to a brand unfortunately just a small qr type code which won't scan on my phone.

The spacer on the bike look like oem one and when they clamp in place to hold the axle reducer inside the wheel between the bearings, they aren't wide enough.

I know its a long shot but does anyone have any suggestions of other spacers to try, would like to try and avoid buying a new hub.

Thanks you in advance - will happily send a box of British beer to anyone with a remedy!
Cheers
|
Cliffy615
Fantasy
2899th
9/30/2021 8:49am

May not be able to help or identify from these, but all I have on my phone, can take more later if needed,
Cheers
murph783
9/30/2021 10:35am
Stupid question…are the spacers backwards? The beveled edge is making me wonder
willbilly
9/30/2021 5:10pm
The right side of the axle should take any slack out of the spacers even if the spacers are too small. Loosen fork lugs. Tighten axle nut holding axle on opposite side. This will pull axle and spacers together. Tighten left fork lug. Bounce forks so they align. Tighten right lug. Right axle should be about flush with the lug. If wheel still has play axle, forks, triple clamps, or steering stem is bent. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

The Shop

FFDan
10/5/2021 11:45am
By the pic, I don’t think your forks are aligned. The none brake side looks like the fork clamp is too far out. That will give you play like you mentioned for sure.
sandman768
10/5/2021 12:17pm
I have a set of aftermarket wheels on my 21 350, I have had this same thing happen, felt like bad bearings. Loosen all 4 axle pinch bolts on fork legs. Tighten axle nut while holding other side of axle with box wrench. Tighten brake side axle pinch bolts. Pull bike off stand and push down on forks a few times to align forks on axle, tighten rt side pinch bolts. I have had to do this a couple times since using the aftermarket wheels, I have no idea why, my spacers are oem.
Cliffy615
Fantasy
2899th
10/6/2021 2:45am
willbilly wrote:
The right side of the axle should take any slack out of the spacers even if the spacers are too small. Loosen fork lugs. Tighten axle...
The right side of the axle should take any slack out of the spacers even if the spacers are too small. Loosen fork lugs. Tighten axle nut holding axle on opposite side. This will pull axle and spacers together. Tighten left fork lug. Bounce forks so they align. Tighten right lug. Right axle should be about flush with the lug. If wheel still has play axle, forks, triple clamps, or steering stem is bent. Good luck. Let us know what you find.
Thank you for this, i have tried this but didn't work but will give it another try, just a quick one - inside the hub between the bearings there is an axle reducing cylinder, is this needed? I have read that the outer spacers run on the bearings on KTM and wondering if this axle reducer is causing the issue?
Thanks
willbilly
10/6/2021 5:32pm
Yes KTM spacers should run inside the bearing. They do that so you can use the wheel on other models with just a spacer change instead of a new hub. The spacer tube between the bearings is there so the bearings don’t get crushed when the axle is tightened.
Cliffy615
Fantasy
2899th
10/6/2021 11:51pm
willbilly wrote:
Yes KTM spacers should run inside the bearing. They do that so you can use the wheel on other models with just a spacer change instead...
Yes KTM spacers should run inside the bearing. They do that so you can use the wheel on other models with just a spacer change instead of a new hub. The spacer tube between the bearings is there so the bearings don’t get crushed when the axle is tightened.
Thanks again for the response, this may be the answer then as the spacer tube is floating inside the hub, should this tube should be held snug inside by the bearings? If so it’s likely the bearings aren’t seated far enough in..?
mattman631
10/7/2021 10:18am
Cliffy615 wrote:
Thanks again for the response, this may be the answer then as the spacer tube is floating inside the hub, should this tube should be held...
Thanks again for the response, this may be the answer then as the spacer tube is floating inside the hub, should this tube should be held snug inside by the bearings? If so it’s likely the bearings aren’t seated far enough in..?
I always tap the bearing in so it just touches the spacer tube. Makes it possible to move by hand if needed but not impossible. I also line up with the axle so the spacer doesnt get lodged in crooked
Cliffy615
Fantasy
2899th
10/8/2021 12:16am
I just tried my mates wheel who has the same bike and it fit no problem, now starting to think it’s the wrong hub/wheel for the bike. Is there any way of telling which bike it’s meant to be from?
willbilly
10/8/2021 5:04pm
Since the hub is orange I would guess another size/year KTM. Try your buddy’s spacers with your wheel. Might be the spacers after all.
wheres wally
Fantasy
882nd
10/15/2021 1:30am
Is there any markings or writing on the rim and can you post a clear pic of the QR code and I can compare to mine?

I had a similar issue with a set of wheels I bought used. After some digging I found out the hub was a Hollis hub and had "360" marked on the Rim, After talking to a few companies I found out that SM Pro spacers will fit the wheel.

Post a reply to: sxf 350 front wheel spacers

The Latest