should i run an "A" size Pro X piston in my "C" size cylinder on my 2017 yz125

the bike has around 35 hours and im trying to do a top end and ive called the place that sells it "royal distributing" and they said that ill be fine having it as it's the standard size. Also on the website there was no option of A,B,C, or D and it came in the other day showing it with a size 53.95, what do you guys think?
|
motomike894
6/19/2022 6:17pm
I wouldn’t run it on purpose you’ll have more slop then you should have.

Might be totally fine too, but on a 125 especially would
Scare me but I’m super anal about that stuff lol.
6/19/2022 6:25pm
I wouldn’t run it on purpose you’ll have more slop then you should have. Might be totally fine too, but on a 125 especially would Scare...

Would you recommend a Wiesco Top End kit - 845M05400, I’ve seen that people were saying they’re 1 size fits all. Is that true, if so I’ll just return the pro x and buy the wiesco for a extra $20. Link to the piston kit - https://www.royaldistributing.com/wiseco-piston-kit-yamaha-063102.html#….
motomike894
6/19/2022 6:36pm
I wouldn’t run it on purpose you’ll have more slop then you should have. Might be totally fine too, but on a 125 especially would Scare...

Would you recommend a Wiesco Top End kit - 845M05400, I’ve seen that people were saying they’re 1 size fits all. Is that true, if so...
Would you recommend a Wiesco Top End kit - 845M05400, I’ve seen that people were saying they’re 1 size fits all. Is that true, if so I’ll just return the pro x and buy the wiesco for a extra $20. Link to the piston kit - https://www.royaldistributing.com/wiseco-piston-kit-yamaha-063102.html#….
The wiseco is like in between the a-d sizes, I’d run that befroe the a niks for sure in my opinion
rjg
6/19/2022 7:07pm
I would not. Each cylinder step change is usually 0.05mm.
Usually you do A cylinder with A piston then go to B piston. Then replate. So in your case C cylinder with C piston then goto D piston then replate.
I think, it's been a while for 2strokes for me.

The Shop

6/19/2022 7:13pm
rjg wrote:
I would not. Each cylinder step change is usually 0.05mm. Usually you do A cylinder with A piston then go to B piston. Then replate. So...
Usually you do A cylinder with A piston then go to B piston. Then replate. So in your case C cylinder with C piston then goto D piston then replate.
What about a wiesco piston, don’t those work as a one size fits all? https://www.royaldistributing.com/wiseco-piston-kit-yamaha-063102.html#…
rjg
6/20/2022 7:08am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2022 7:11am
Straight from ProX
You are going to have to measure or just take the risk.
7. Before installation, the size of each individual piston should always be checked. In
general pistons should be measured on a 90 degrees angle to the wrist pin and
at 25% of the piston length from the bottom of the skirt. The piston and cylinder
size should result in correct piston to cylinder wall clearance for the specific
model. The chart below gives a general indication of clearance by capacity but
original model specifications should always supersede the table below.
Recommended maximum hours use. (competition) / normal.
0,05mm0,06mm
or
0.0020”-
0.0025”

Although the included piston rings are matched for the specific piston and bore
size, the rings on the piston should always be checked on the ring end gap
specifications. The ring gap should be around 0.4 to 0.5% of the piston diameter
and can be measured by placing the ring in the cylinder and using a feeler
cauge. Normally it is not needed to modify the ring gap.
9. It is not needed to check or modify the ring gap on oil control rings. The ring gap
on the second ring should always be larger than the gap in the top compression
ring.
Moto520
6/20/2022 9:42am
It should be marked on the cylinder what size you have. I've seen a couple of different sized cylinders come stock. Stick with the same letter for the piston as the cylinder at 35 hours. IMO....even though the sizes are so close.....i wouldn't change from a matching stock piston to cylinder.

I have a brand new stock piston for my YZ250 that was the wrong lettering. I could have used it.....it probably would have been no problem but these bikes are my babies.
Mx746
6/20/2022 10:45am
Question: There is no piston to wall clearance on the box label, what is the piston to wall clearance for my application?
Answer: Wiseco Powersports pistons are designed for optimal piston to wall clearance for the specific bore size of your engine. For example, your 125cc dirt bike engine is 54mm bore, the Wiseco piston is designed just for that bore size, and does not require any specific adjustments to fit properly.
6/20/2022 10:46am
rjg wrote:
I would not. Each cylinder step change is usually 0.05mm. Usually you do A cylinder with A piston then go to B piston. Then replate. So...
What about a wiesco piston, don’t those work as a one size fits all? https://www.royaldistributing.com/wiseco-piston-kit-yamaha-063102.html#…
I highly recommend the WISECO ELITE piston. One size fits all and they are outstanding pistons. Makes it a no brainer.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/21/2022 1:56pm
rjg wrote:
On Yamahas, the letters do not represent overbores; they are tolerance discrepancies. The difference between each jump from A to D is not 0.05mm; it's more like 0.001mm. (Or something similarly small; I don't recall the tolerance.) You can absolutely run a D piston in an A cylinder; in fact, Team Yamaha used to do that when they were racing 2-strokes.

Here's quote I lifted from another forum:
'A' = 53.957 - 53.960
'B' = 53.961 - 53.964
'C' = 53.965 - 53.968
'D' = 53.969 - 53.972

It's sometimes been said, grasp an A piston in your hand for a few minutes

and your body heat alone will make it expand almost into the B size tolerances.

That said, I'd probably advise against running a smaller piston in a larger bore. Get the right size or one size larger.
The pistons which are "one size fits all" are likely equivalent to "D" pistons.

Post a reply to: should i run an "A" size Pro X piston in my "C" size cylinder on my 2017 yz125

The Latest