replacing fork seals

1/3/2019 7:36pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2019 3:28pm
hi guys, I decided that im tired of paying someone else to do fork seals on my bikes so I decided to order the tools from motion pro and do them myself. there are plenty of vids on youtube that show it step by step. seems simple enough. any tips/tricks or things I need to be aware of before I attempt? parts will be here tomorrow. I'm going to try it on my 06 yz first before I decide to order the tools to do them on my 19 kx 450. I will take pics and post the ensuing shit show I'm about to embark on if interested.
|
dmm698
1/3/2019 7:49pm
The forks come apart the same way... they’re essentially the same for fork seal assembly sake. The only thing that could be remotely puzzling for your first time is bleeding the inner chamber, which you should do if you’re in there. The inner oil becomes contaminated much sooner than the other as it’s where the oil is constantly forced past shims.
colvin227
1/3/2019 7:53pm
Just make sure to cover the sharp edge on the bushing land at the top of the tube when putting the new seal on. Depending on how long the seals were installed, it’s a very good idea to do the guide and slide bushings, might as well while your in there. Otherwise, Use a Seal bullet, electrical tape, or plastic bag with a little grease on the seal to make the new seal slide on easy. Otherwise it’s a very straight forward job....GOOD LUCK!
Keith72
1/3/2019 7:54pm
A service manual helps too. Keep watching the videos to get familiar with the process.
colvin227
1/3/2019 7:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/3/2019 7:56pm
Keith72 wrote:
A service manual helps too. Keep watching the videos to get familiar with the process.
X2 manual is worth it’s weight in gold.....(correct oil amounts, and torque specs)

The Shop

kb228
1/4/2019 4:26am
Pretty much what everyone said. I hear pretty often how much of a pain it is to do fork seals. Its really not that bad. Get the right tools and follow every video you can find. Thats how i learned to do mine. You also gain a whole new perspective on how important it is to change your fork oil every 15-20 hours.
seth505
Fantasy
1093rd
1/4/2019 6:52am
agreed with everyone, it's quite easy! The only bummer is every time I get a different bike I need another size tool for something to get in there, but it's worth it.
kb228
1/4/2019 6:59am
seth505 wrote:
agreed with everyone, it's quite easy! The only bummer is every time I get a different bike I need another size tool for something to get...
agreed with everyone, it's quite easy! The only bummer is every time I get a different bike I need another size tool for something to get in there, but it's worth it.
I believe tusk/rocky mountain makes a seal driver kit thats not too pricy
Keith72
1/4/2019 7:38am
I have one of the Ringer fork seals drivers. Kinda wish I could have gotten a regular one like the Tusk.
seth505
Fantasy
1093rd
1/4/2019 9:18am
seth505 wrote:
agreed with everyone, it's quite easy! The only bummer is every time I get a different bike I need another size tool for something to get...
kb228 wrote:
I believe tusk/rocky mountain makes a seal driver kit thats not too pricy
Yup, I have a combo of Motion Pro and Tusk tools for my different forks and they all do the job.
Tuzzo123
1/4/2019 9:37am
hi guys, I decided that im tired of paying someone else to do fork seals on my bikes so I decided to order the tools from...
hi guys, I decided that im tired of paying someone else to do fork seals on my bikes so I decided to order the tools from motion pro and do them myself. there are plenty of vids on youtube that show it step by step. seems simple enough. any tips/tricks or things I need to be aware of before I attempt? parts will be here tomorrow. I'm going to try it on my 06 yz first before I decide to order the tools to do them on my 19 kx 450. I will take pics and post the ensuing shit show I'm about to embark on if interested.
Had the same thought, sick of paying someone to do this. Bought the tools, couldn't believe how easy they are to do! Biggest tip....get a Seal Bullet, buy 2
1/4/2019 8:34pm
Ok guys thanks for responses! Just got done with the seals. With YouTube and the manual, it didn't seem bad at all. All the bushings looked good, no discoloration or wear marks. The only thing I noticed was that one spring could have used a shim (according to the video that Travis from TBT put out) as the spring was slightly below the rebound rod nut during re assembly. Although one quart of fork oil left me 30cc short of oil to finish the second fork. Haha. I guess I'll see how it turns out after I ride it for the first time.
imoto34
Fantasy
3137th
1/6/2019 4:32pm
Nice, enjoy that extra money you wont be spending.
speed_racer
Fantasy
2000th
1/6/2019 7:03pm
Those bushings are toast, please replace them.
1/6/2019 8:45pm
What do you look for to determine whether they're bad or not?
DaveJ
1/9/2019 3:25pm
The indication of "wear" or abuse that a bushing has gone through is based on how much of the coating has been polished off on the metal side, and then, more importantly, how much wear there is on the coated (black) side.

A bushing is actually still in good shape as long as you can't see through the black coating. However, if you reuse it you have to consider how many hours it's going to endure before it gets closer to being metal on metal.

Most bushings that get replaced are actually still in good shape and have a lot of life in them. But...better safe than sorry.

By the way, some forks are a bit finicky when it comes to bushing tolerances. Sticking with OEM/KYB issued is a good idea.
fourfourone
1/10/2019 11:48am
I got the oem KYB seals and bushings off rocky mtn for 50 bucks. came with all the seals and 4 bushings.
1/10/2019 3:28pm
DaveJ wrote:
The indication of "wear" or abuse that a bushing has gone through is based on how much of the coating has been polished off on the...
The indication of "wear" or abuse that a bushing has gone through is based on how much of the coating has been polished off on the metal side, and then, more importantly, how much wear there is on the coated (black) side.

A bushing is actually still in good shape as long as you can't see through the black coating. However, if you reuse it you have to consider how many hours it's going to endure before it gets closer to being metal on metal.

Most bushings that get replaced are actually still in good shape and have a lot of life in them. But...better safe than sorry.

By the way, some forks are a bit finicky when it comes to bushing tolerances. Sticking with OEM/KYB issued is a good idea.
Good information. Thanks for response. Looks like the non friction side is pretty worn in my pic above.
1/10/2019 3:30pm
I got the oem KYB seals and bushings off rocky mtn for 50 bucks. came with all the seals and 4 bushings.
Oh damn that's a killer deal. I'll look into that thanks.
DaveJ
1/10/2019 5:49pm
DaveJ wrote:
The indication of "wear" or abuse that a bushing has gone through is based on how much of the coating has been polished off on the...

Good information. Thanks for response. Looks like the non friction side is pretty worn in my pic above.
Well...I'm not going to say "worn" but I will say they have been used.

Post a reply to: replacing fork seals

The Latest