lectron woth it or not?

im debating on buying a lectron for my 07 rm125. wanting more peoples import on it? wondering if its worth ut or not?

thanksSmile
|
AJ565
4/8/2020 9:42pm
No. Makes a soft hit. If you ride only woods then it’d be ok. Jet the carb correctly and use the money you saved for other stuff like a suspension revalve.
Tuna
4/9/2020 4:53am
im debating on buying a lectron for my 07 rm125. wanting more peoples import on it? wondering if its worth ut or not?

thanksSmile
Over rated in my opinion. Especially on a small bore. I ran Lectron and Smartcarb on my YZ250 and ended up going back to the stock carb.
mdlynch86
4/9/2020 5:21am
I had a KTM 150sx and had really good luck with my lectron. Personally, if I had another 2 stroke I'd buy another.
Tuna
4/9/2020 5:44am
mdlynch86 wrote:
I had a KTM 150sx and had really good luck with my lectron. Personally, if I had another 2 stroke I'd buy another.
Seems like people either really like them or feel they are very over rated.

The Shop

NeedMoto
4/9/2020 6:43am

thanksSmile
Tuna wrote:
Over rated in my opinion. Especially on a small bore. I ran Lectron and Smartcarb on my YZ250 and ended up going back to the stock...
Over rated in my opinion. Especially on a small bore. I ran Lectron and Smartcarb on my YZ250 and ended up going back to the stock carb.
Agreed... same as Tuna^^^

Went back to stock carb. Would not buy another Lectron.
dunerider209
4/9/2020 9:13am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2020 9:14am
Although I don't have one on a 125, but I have one on my cr250. Personally I think their worth their money. Everyone says it takes away the hit but really it makes it a manageable and smoother hit IMHO. I personally ride at different elevations from tracks to trails in mountains, and have yet to have to adjust it at any location I go which was one of the main reason for my purchase. If you only ride at the same EXACT elevation and weather conditions then you can probably get yours dialed in pretty good but if you ride in different weather temps and elevation then it is a good option.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
4/9/2020 10:12am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2020 12:03pm
I say no. I haven't tested them extensively, only ridden a few times. I'd rather tweak a traditional carb to run how I want it but realize everyone isn't that way. One that I rode had a laziness to it and a weird bog when I landed jumps sometimes so I wasn't loving that.
rjg
4/9/2020 10:50am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2020 10:53am
Only reasons for a Lectron are better gas mileage and softer hit. DONT expect more power otherwise you will be dissapointed. Also you will be reliant on buying their throttle cables from then on (personally annoying, nothing against Lectron).
CSAR FE
4/9/2020 10:51am
I don't get what peoples' affinity is with these carbs. Get a Keihin.
Tuna
4/9/2020 10:59am
CSAR FE wrote:
I don't get what peoples' affinity is with these carbs. Get a Keihin.
I live in the east coast of Canada where we have winter and like to ride with studs year round. The idea of not having to mess with jetting was appealing. Also there was a lot of talk about it boosting bottom end. I didn’t have a lot of luck with mine personally. Seems my buddies with KTM’s got some great gains. Not so much on my YZ.
4/9/2020 11:35am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2020 11:37am
I think what it comes down to is two things, do you know how to adjust a carb and if you are willing to do it. I do believe you can achieve better results by jetting it for a specific season/event. That being said I am not well versed in jetting nor do I want to screw around doing it. For me, the Lectron is worth it. Last year I had the hottest months off due to a broken leg. My 18 250 SX ran great in spring and fall. How she runs in the middle of the summer will determine if I pull the trigger on a Lectron.
AJ565
4/9/2020 2:36pm
I think what it comes down to is two things, do you know how to adjust a carb and if you are willing to do it...
I think what it comes down to is two things, do you know how to adjust a carb and if you are willing to do it. I do believe you can achieve better results by jetting it for a specific season/event. That being said I am not well versed in jetting nor do I want to screw around doing it. For me, the Lectron is worth it. Last year I had the hottest months off due to a broken leg. My 18 250 SX ran great in spring and fall. How she runs in the middle of the summer will determine if I pull the trigger on a Lectron.
It's pretty easy to rejet your KTM when the work has been done for you and all you have to do is swap jets and a slide. You'd be on a better running bike and have less money in to it that could go towards a pipe and silencer.
4/9/2020 2:59pm
I think what it comes down to is two things, do you know how to adjust a carb and if you are willing to do it...
AJ565 wrote:
It's pretty easy to rejet your KTM when the work has been done for you and all you have to do is swap jets and a...
It's pretty easy to rejet your KTM when the work has been done for you and all you have to do is swap jets and a slide. You'd be on a better running bike and have less money in to it that could go towards a pipe and silencer.
I just don't want to do it.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
4/10/2020 9:47am
Never owned a Lectron, but watching others with them leads me to this basic conclusion: off-road riders who don't know how to (or want to) jet love them. They are great for off road where you might go 0 - 8,000ft in a single ride, enjoy the increased mpg/range, and don't mind the loss of hit. Also, I've seen too many people have fitment issues (air boot rubbing shock, special throttle cables) and my buddy's leaks gas at the float bowl. Likely warped plastic float bowl. His bike also is super lean and very hard to start when cold. He has gone back and forth with Lectron on settings and even sent the carb back once. All they can say is "not out problem, it's the bike". Hahaha it's a brand new bike that runs fine with the stock carb.
Airick
Fantasy
2637th
4/10/2020 10:34am
I have one in a 2013 Husky CR125/144 and it's better than stock, which was a Mikuni. Better gas mileage, and less hit which works since it's a woods bike. Only thing i didn't like is the plastic float bowl, so i replaced with the billet, but that was another $100.
DynoDan22
4/10/2020 11:50am
Deep thought. Why not seek out a competent mechanic/rider who knows how to jet and spend an off weekend (rain or snow) and learn how to jet your bike? So many riders just buy a new carb (lectron or smartcarb) hoping they get the magic bullet that they will never have to adjust fueling ever again. That happens about 50% of the time.

Learning how to jet is like anything else and takes time and practice. But, when you master it or get proficient at it, it's actually relatively painless. Everyone starts out not knowing what to do. Find someone comepetent (someone who's bike doesn't grenade every weekend and runs well) and ask them if they would show you the ropes. Most people who are knowledgeable would be glad to help you learn.

I see a lot of people throw a new carb at a bike when there are underlying issues such as faulty reeds, leaky main seals, excessive piston to cylinder clearance etc which complicates things. They will buy a new carb and still struggle.

Spend an afternoon with someone knowledgable and explore carb setting on your bike. What does lean sound like on a pilot jet? What does too rich or too lean sound like on a needle clip setting? Twist the air screw and see how it affects well into the needle range.

Once you get it right, you'd be amazed at the range of temp and humidity/ elevation the bike will run decently. I would have a winter setting and a summer setting for most of my bikes and an airscrew adjustment would clean things up when needed. Knowledge is power and can save you a lot of money. The Lectron carb is only as good as Lectron's settings derived from their R&D. Final adjustment is still necessary.

When you get the jetting right on a mechanically sound engine, it's a thing of beauty. When you learn how to do it, it's a game changer.
Bruce372
4/10/2020 7:31pm
The 07 rm125 has a good stock carb.

Plus, the lectron is a big chunk of metal that's a pain to fit in the rm125.
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1406th
4/11/2020 2:58pm
I run one on my Xtrainer.

Tried jetting the carb and one day it ran perfect, next ran like crap.

Sale came up and i bought one. Runs consistently good whether i ride at sea level or 6000ft+.

I only ride woods, but zero complaints.
dfr136
Fantasy
1040th
4/11/2020 3:29pm
1983YZ125 wrote:
I run one on my Xtrainer. Tried jetting the carb and one day it ran perfect, next ran like crap. Sale came up and i bought...
I run one on my Xtrainer.

Tried jetting the carb and one day it ran perfect, next ran like crap.

Sale came up and i bought one. Runs consistently good whether i ride at sea level or 6000ft+.

I only ride woods, but zero complaints.
Did u try the Suzuki needles? My trainer runs pretty good with the necj. Never tried a lectron but have always wanted to ride a bike with one.
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1406th
4/11/2020 4:45pm
dfr136 wrote:
Did u try the Suzuki needles? My trainer runs pretty good with the necj. Never tried a lectron but have always wanted to ride a bike...
Did u try the Suzuki needles? My trainer runs pretty good with the necj. Never tried a lectron but have always wanted to ride a bike with one.
Tried the JD Jet kit first (absolutely horrible) and then moved onto the Suzuki needles and it ran almost perfect the first day out after a couple minor adjustments. The next couple trips out it ran horrible and needed constant fiddling. Gave up after 5 or 6 trips out and went to the Lectron.
Tracktor
4/13/2020 10:10am
Keihin PWK 38mm with a STIC metering block. We are running these on a bunch of different bikes from my 96 CR125 to YZ250's. Massive improvements in power & delivery on every single bike...........http://www.sticsupertorque.com/

Post a reply to: lectron woth it or not?

The Latest