5/4/2018 1:34 PM

Maxima Castor 927. All looks good after 4 hours. Photo

|

5/4/2018 1:38 PM

Ran both no problems with either.

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

5/4/2018 6:53 PM

Both are great.. If you're really hard on the bike, then 927. I use k2 now and it's very good as well. It burns cleaner.

|

5/4/2018 7:48 PM

I have no experience with K2 , but have been running 927 for the past 3 years ( since I got back into 2 strokes ) , and ran it for many years before that......not once have I ever had a problem. Good stuff!

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

5/5/2018 6:39 AM

927 is what I had best results with. If you are not using top end and you are in a cooler environment I would go with a full synthetic.

|

5/5/2018 7:20 AM

If you are a revver 927, otherwise k2

|

5/5/2018 4:04 PM

K2

|

5/6/2018 7:01 AM

Keep in mind 927 can separate in cold weather got to remember to shake it back up.

|

5/6/2018 12:44 PM

I've bought myself some Castrol A747 but haven't had the chance to use it yet.

|

5/6/2018 3:30 PM

Bruneval wrote:

4 whole hours?

|

5/6/2018 5:56 PM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

4 whole hours?

I was changing/upgrading the cylinder head.

|

5/6/2018 5:59 PM

Bruneval wrote:

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

4 whole hours?

Bruneval wrote:

Just giving you shit man lol. From what I've read, 927 is great for small bore experienced riders. Preferably without a power valve

|

5/6/2018 6:09 PM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

4 whole hours?

Bruneval wrote:

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

Just giving you shit man lol. From what I've read, 927 is great for small bore experienced riders. Preferably without a power ...more

Ha, it sure seems to have coated everything in my motor pretty well, and this photo was taken after I had beaten the life out of it in the deep sand of Southwick.

Back in England I use Castrol A747, which is very similar to 927 - castor based blend. I know that’s what the Kart guys I know use, and they scream their motors like they’re trying to blow them up!

|

5/6/2018 6:11 PM

Bruneval wrote:

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

Just giving you shit man lol. From what I've read, 927 is great for small bore experienced riders. Preferably without a power ...more

Bruneval wrote:

Ha, it sure seems to have coated everything in my motor pretty well, and this photo was taken after I had beaten the life out ...more

Power valve or not, if you are screaming that thing, i doubt a power valve would have a problem with build up. Just speaking for us mortals lol

|

5/6/2018 6:13 PM

Btw I have 220 hours on my 250sx running K2. I've done 5-6 top end changes on hours alone, never once opened or touched the power valve. Bottom end is still factory also. I have a lot of faith in that engine

|

5/6/2018 8:17 PM

Bruneval wrote:

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

4 whole hours?

Better look new!! Cause it still is

|

5/7/2018 7:56 AM

mwssquad827 wrote:

Better look new!! Cause it still is

Engine is most definitely still new, but it is also well lubricated and running clean as you can see, with a good burn pattern on the piston.

|

5/8/2018 7:36 AM

When I mix I use Amsoil Domanator. I am currently running VP T2 though, so no mix needed and it might be 927. They don't list what oil they use in it.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

5/8/2018 12:05 PM

AJ565 wrote:

When I mix I use Amsoil Domanator. I am currently running VP T2 though, so no mix needed and it might be 927. They don't list ...more

VP uses a synthetic oil they make themselves for their T2. I know because I run the sane thing and called them.

|

5/10/2018 3:02 AM

The only (2) oils I recommend is K2 and Castor oil. If you really want to not touch your PV system that much to clean it, then the K2. If you are ok with servicing the pv a little more, go for the Castor oil, it has to do with film strength and residue.

I use straight Castor oil, (you can pour it on a salad and eat it), made from 100% Castor beans. It is gummy, but thats why I use it. The engine never gets hot enough to burn off all the oil so there is a constant film of oil over the engine parts. In a 2 stroke, thats the lifeline of lubrication. It provides better ring seal against the cyl, and the lower end of the engines always looks like it has oil all over it.

Just my .02

|

5/11/2018 7:25 PM

JBone,
Is that your opinion across the board? From a 125-500cc Machine?
There are lots of oils on the market and that’s pretty specific. Thanks for sharing.

|

5/12/2018 4:23 AM

Well it is my opinion but it is based on an awful lot of rebuilds over the years and I can only state from my experience. I would say that due to the nature of my business I have seen a fair share of engines over the years as compared to riders that buy a bike, keep it for a season or two, reuild it a few times, then sell it. I have to postion of using the same oil, in the same bike, over and over, etc...and although I have many opportunities to run whatever I want as a dealer, I use what I can put my name behind.
For what thats worth lol, I'm a pretty big deal you know. Dozens of fans all over.

|

5/12/2018 8:32 AM

JBone.
As you say, you have more experience than most.
What’s your opinion on ratios?
While modern 2 strokes, and modern oils are safe at 60:1 (recommend for some year/model KTMs) it’s widely believed that 25:1 produces better ring seal and power. Comments?

Suggestions for:
1981 RM125X (first water cooled model)
1989 NSR250 Road racer
Currently running semi synthetic Motulat 30:1. Bikes go months between rides. Would Castor 927 leave a nice coating for months, or “gum up”.

Suggested Ratio for a current KTM/Husky 125?

Thanks for your opinion and any info.

|

5/12/2018 10:10 AM

skypig- if the desired result from the ratio is sheer power, engine protection, etc, then the richer the mix the better. You are 100% correct in that a thicker mixture will produce better ring seal, cyl lubrication, etc. So, sheer hp numbers on a dyno will say power is better with a richer mix. The throttle respone is terrible though!!

Not familiar with the 81' and 89' but if they have power valves, they will gum up a bit more than normal, and honestly I would not recommend the Castor there bc if the oil sits in the gas for too long and esp in colder temps, it can seperate and bond as well to the fuel. For that I would for sure run the K2 and E-free gas or at least treat it so the ethanol doesnt gel up.

As for more of the newer modern ratios you see, I run 40/1 which seems to be a good balance of throttle response and good oil protection...the manuals do spec a higher number ratio like 50/1 and even 60/1, this is where people get a bit jammed up and they drop to 40/1 and cant jet their bike right using the standard jets.

If you know how to read a plug and do jetting testing it is not hard but some people dont.

J

|

5/12/2018 10:25 AM

JBoneMotorworks wrote:

skypig- if the desired result from the ratio is sheer power, engine protection, etc, then the richer the mix the better. You ...more

so if i have 927 and go buy 5 gallons of race fuel and mix it up, and don’t use it all in 2 weeks it will be bad?

|

5/12/2018 10:44 AM

I woud say two weeks would be ok, but just mix it up real good...I only mix and use what I will burn for that day or so of riding. I wouldnt let the oil sit for months.

|

5/12/2018 1:18 PM

Well thanks for sharing. I always trust guys with dozens of fans. Good info.

Ghost

|

5/14/2018 10:43 AM

JBoneMotorworks wrote:

The only (2) oils I recommend is K2 and Castor oil. If you really want to not touch your PV system that much to clean it, then ...more

JBone,

I used to run K2 in my 2006 KX250 and for some unknown reason to myself I switched to Motul 800... would you recommend switching back? I never had any issues with the K2 when I switched from 927 back in the early 2000's... doesn't smell as good but I had an bad gumming up experience with the 927 so I switched to full synthetic.

Any who... Is it 6 in one, half a dozen in another?

Thanks

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

5/14/2018 12:35 PM

I ran the Motul800 for a while, great stuff, cant go wrong really with it! I just have used the other stuff forever and can say from my seat what I see.

|