clutch went out in my supermini(no grinding noise just revs out without moving)

cadeclarey88
Edited Date/Time 4/22/2021 7:44am
was at my first area qualifier of the year in like 6th and clutch went out, already got clutch plates and springs ordered because I didn't have any on hand at the time, not sure if I should have ordered a basket and hub. Haven't tore it down at all yet and don't know much about how the clutch works and if it goes out do I throw in just new plates or is there any case I'd need a whole basket and hub, bike wont move just revs out. I have another qualifier soon and need to figure out if I need to order a basket and hub and overnight them.
|
4/22/2021 9:05am
You need to open it up, take all the plates and springs out and physically inspect the basket. If the basket is toast, you will see notches/grooves in the "fingers" of the basket. The fingers should not have any slotted wear, and instead should look uniform and smooth.

Make sure to soak the new discs in oil before install, count the exact number of fiber and friction plates, and check your manual for proper spring torque.
cadeclarey88
4/22/2021 9:52am
You need to open it up, take all the plates and springs out and physically inspect the basket. If the basket is toast, you will see...
You need to open it up, take all the plates and springs out and physically inspect the basket. If the basket is toast, you will see notches/grooves in the "fingers" of the basket. The fingers should not have any slotted wear, and instead should look uniform and smooth.

Make sure to soak the new discs in oil before install, count the exact number of fiber and friction plates, and check your manual for proper spring torque.
Thank you! would the notches cause it to slip?

The Shop

Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
4/22/2021 11:00am
What makes it slip usually are the plates are so worn they cant grab and stick together, therefore no power actually goes to the transmission. Seeing that you ride a supermini, and a lot of supermini riders use/abuse the clutch. Replace the plates and you *should* be good.
cadeclarey88
4/22/2021 4:50pm
Leeham wrote:
What makes it slip usually are the plates are so worn they cant grab and stick together, therefore no power actually goes to the transmission. Seeing...
What makes it slip usually are the plates are so worn they cant grab and stick together, therefore no power actually goes to the transmission. Seeing that you ride a supermini, and a lot of supermini riders use/abuse the clutch. Replace the plates and you *should* be good.
just replaced the plates afterschool today and it's all good. if you guys wanna check out the bike my instagram is cade.clarey88
cadeclarey88
4/22/2021 4:55pm
Leeham wrote:
What makes it slip usually are the plates are so worn they cant grab and stick together, therefore no power actually goes to the transmission. Seeing...
just replaced the plates afterschool today and it's all good. if you guys wanna check out the bike my instagram is cade.clarey88

soggy
Fantasy
3857th
4/22/2021 7:29pm
Leeham wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/04/22/489043/s1200_IMG_8476.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/04/22/489045/s1200_IMG_9049.jpg[/img]

Look like your ready for a big bike son!
cadeclarey88
4/22/2021 8:45pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/04/22/489043/s1200_IMG_8476.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/04/22/489045/s1200_IMG_9049.jpg[/img]

soggy wrote:
Look like your ready for a big bike son!
right now I have a KTM 125 as a practice bike but will move up to a 250 at the end of the season, last year racing the supermini but I'm definitely excited to show the B class what I'm made of next season hahaSmile
4/26/2021 6:18am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2021 6:18am
Nice! Don't be afraid to keep riding that supermini as long as possible; easier to learn technique and hone your skills when you're in control and able to handle it. I'm 34 and still ride a modified KX100 in hare scrambles and enduros.

If you're still running the stock clutch springs, Pro Circuit makes a stiffer set, greatly helps with clutch feel and not ragging on it as much.

Post a reply to: clutch went out in my supermini(no grinding noise just revs out without moving)

The Latest