bike setup for shorter rider.

Edited Date/Time 8/4/2017 1:34pm
Zup boys & girls! I am on my way to make a comeback after 8 years of the bike, i did quit back on 85cc so this is basically me getting a 125 for the first time in life the thing is that i am 5.3 ( short) What do you guys think i should do to make it more comfortable for my size.

Cut the subframe ( done by professional)
Lower seat
put on springs and valve the forks for me and maybe set them higher up in the triple clamps
Footpegs
Linkage switch
Lower barbend

Anything else i could do to make it better for me?

|
karlz
8/1/2017 7:42am
You can lower the rear of the bike when servicing or rebuilding the shock. Just add a nylon spacer between the valve stack and seal head. Its usually 3-1 ratio so a 10mm spacer will reduce seat height by 30mm. You can be more precise by measuring from top of tyre to the underside of the rear fender and then the amount of rod travel available. Then just work out the ratio.

www.karlzracing.com
RussB
Fantasy
986th
8/1/2017 8:27am
Getting the correct springs in is definitely the first thing to do.

A rear lowering link will drop the bike around 10-15mm, you can then drop the forks through a similar amount..

Renthal McGrath/Short bend are nice and low. Its 999 in twinwall, cant remember the number for fatbar.
8/3/2017 11:48am
karlz wrote:
You can lower the rear of the bike when servicing or rebuilding the shock. Just add a nylon spacer between the valve stack and seal head...
You can lower the rear of the bike when servicing or rebuilding the shock. Just add a nylon spacer between the valve stack and seal head. Its usually 3-1 ratio so a 10mm spacer will reduce seat height by 30mm. You can be more precise by measuring from top of tyre to the underside of the rear fender and then the amount of rod travel available. Then just work out the ratio.

www.karlzracing.com
Thanks alot for the info will talk to the suspension company about this.
8/3/2017 11:49am
RussB wrote:
Getting the correct springs in is definitely the first thing to do. A rear lowering link will drop the bike around 10-15mm, you can then drop...
Getting the correct springs in is definitely the first thing to do.

A rear lowering link will drop the bike around 10-15mm, you can then drop the forks through a similar amount..

Renthal McGrath/Short bend are nice and low. Its 999 in twinwall, cant remember the number for fatbar.
Thanks alot for the advice. Yeah im looking for a lowerbend we will see wich one it will be looking at protaper or renthal

The Shop

8/3/2017 12:26pm
Why not just get a kx100? If you're light weight, at your size it would have plenty of power. I saw a guy on the net a few years back that bought a kx100 and added a headlight, skid plate, handguards, and other enduro stuff and had a hell of a bike. He was apparently riding with his friends who were on full sized bikes, and said that he was staying right with the big bikes.
8/3/2017 12:58pm
Why not just get a kx100? If you're light weight, at your size it would have plenty of power. I saw a guy on the net...
Why not just get a kx100? If you're light weight, at your size it would have plenty of power. I saw a guy on the net a few years back that bought a kx100 and added a headlight, skid plate, handguards, and other enduro stuff and had a hell of a bike. He was apparently riding with his friends who were on full sized bikes, and said that he was staying right with the big bikes.
Tbh its just me who want to ride a bigger bike. Ive seen smaller girls at the pro racing riding 250f and i just want to build a chad reed replica 125. KX 100 is cool but tbh i saw some photos of myself the last 85 years and i believe i was honestly a tad to big for the 85. But tbh at the level i ride for fun i´ve seen kids on 65 riding faster than some guys at the local track riding big bikes so it comes as no supirse if you know what i mean!
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2561st
8/3/2017 4:21pm
If you're just riding on track don't become obsessed with being able to reach the ground comfortably at rest. There are a number of bikes I have to slide off the seat or set off with one foot on the stand, yet when you're moving it's not an issue, just make it comfortable to ride. Being smaller is an advantage, don't give it away by reducing the travel on the suspension.

See if you can beg, steal or borrow some different bar bends and the like to see what feels the most comfortable. Also try not to cut the seat down too much, especially at the front, as it can make it difficult to move far enough forward when you need too.
8/3/2017 5:26pm
Mr Happy wrote:
If you're just riding on track don't become obsessed with being able to reach the ground comfortably at rest. There are a number of bikes I...
If you're just riding on track don't become obsessed with being able to reach the ground comfortably at rest. There are a number of bikes I have to slide off the seat or set off with one foot on the stand, yet when you're moving it's not an issue, just make it comfortable to ride. Being smaller is an advantage, don't give it away by reducing the travel on the suspension.

See if you can beg, steal or borrow some different bar bends and the like to see what feels the most comfortable. Also try not to cut the seat down too much, especially at the front, as it can make it difficult to move far enough forward when you need too.
Yeah i know but changing the forks a couple of mm, and maybe cut the rear subframe like ashley fiolek or cooper, actually i might even lead towards 18 rear tire and 20 front inch. I just ride for fun so i dont use the bike or the suspension to its full potential anyway. But we will see im searching for a good YZ and then i will start to evaluate what i should do.
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2561st
8/4/2017 2:29am
As mentioned before, if you're going to that much effort a KX100 would likely be a better option. An 18 inch rim won't make much of a difference as the wall is larger for the same diameter tyre, enduro bikes run them as there is less chance of pinching the tube.
HenryA
8/4/2017 1:34pm
Honestly don't think that you will need to change that much. I was about the same height when I got on 125's and it never held me back. Get the right springs, set the sag, drop the forks a bit, adjust the bars and maybe shave the seat and you should be good to go. The YZ125 is not a large bike, you will learn to ride it in no time.
chump6784
8/5/2017 5:48am
You can get both the front and rear suspension lowered, i have my wife's bikes lowered by my suspension guy. Get springs for your weight while you are in there and it will be perfect. My wife also rides a yz125
8/14/2017 4:35pm
Hi guys! I changed my mind totally i will not go for the Yamaha even if it i was my wish, KTM and Husqvarna is 4 cm lower in stock form and it seems like it works very well for Ashley Fiolek and i am a tad taller than her so i will get myself a husky or a KTM instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A49azxcaHI0

Post a reply to: bike setup for shorter rider.

The Latest